Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hereby award you 100 points for a double word score, referring to "flexibility" and "aggressive" as myths, and an additional 100 points for attributing those myths (however tangentially) to idiot fitters.

chappeau!

Jim@EROsports wrote:
That's what you get when you turn bike fit into a marketing tool instead of the art form it should be. Shops simply don't know how to fit bikes properly, and so manufacturers now build bikes that they can sell instead of what they know is right. Great for me, as all those people need to be re-fit! Finding a bike to fit them...that's another story. When a Trek Speed Concept is considered a long/low bike, you know we've gone in the wrong direction. Felt DA long & low? Really?

It also never ceases to amazing me how people have been conditioned to accept less than optimal positions, or buy into the flexibility or aggressive is less comfortable myths. Flexibility has nothing to do with it, it doesn't take significant adaptation time (if any), lower is almost always more comfortable - you just have to do it right, and you need to do it with a fit bike. And, by the way, if you just put someone in aero and start moving that fit bike around under them without allowing them to re-set themselves, you're doing it wrong. About 72% off all people will not rotate their hips properly if that's how you conduct fits. But, hey, keep doing it! More business for me!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need a giant trinity advanced,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Nick B wrote:
Dev, most ppl dont have injuries keeping them from obtaining a faster position.

The problem lies with inappropriate fitters and use of words like "comfort" and "aggressive"

Come back when you are 55 or even 45. Most of those athletes have a variety of limitations.

I rarely find that to be true. We have 70 yr old clients who would put most people's positions on this forum to shame.

Gotta agree with Jim here....I am 48 and ride in pretty low / long position w/ no issues, as do most of my training buddies. But we all also have a lot of years in the saddle, which I think goes a long way towards being able to ideal position on your own.

That said, to dev's points above re: the market, I largely agree, but disagree in a few important areas. Back when I was doing product development in the industry, all the product guys seemed to have a built-in bias towards making bikes that *we* wanted to ride. Sure, for a mountain bike, we would shorten the TT up a bit and put a shorter / higher rise stem on, or maybe even *gasp* use a rise bar....but in general, they were mostly bikes that were built around a racers' mentality.

And what our dealers kept telling us (and what we were slow to respond to) was that our customers weren't interested in riding bikes like that. So they were coming in, buying a mountain bike and swapping out for smoother tires, higher rise stems / bars and big fat cushy saddles. In short, we weren't listening to the voice of the consumer. The company I was working for at the time finally took notice and we developed the first "comfort" bike that not only included all the points noted, but we designed a frame around the idea of "comfort"....which from a frame design POV meant a more upright position. I also then used a similar concept to design one of the first "disease ride" bikes.....a style that eventually emerged as the Gran Fondo bikes today.

But the difference was that we didn't abandon the other bike designs.....we augmented our bike lines with the new models, but kept selling the other ones as well. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening as it pertains to tri bikes. The trend right now is undoubtedly towards the bikes with higher stacks and shorter reach, but it is now to the detriment of the long / low bikes. And the reality is that there is still a market for those bikes, and many, many people were able to successfully fit on them. There is the possibility for both designs to co-exist in the market.....but the bike industry is very much one that follows trends hard. And when Specialized had great success with the Shiv Tri geometry, everyone else started running in that direction.....which left a lot of us abandoned.

So while the move to shorter and taller bikes is absolutely correct (gotta listen to the Voice of the Consumer, right?), it does not mean you need to abandon Long & Low. My guess is that as the people who can ride those bikes start to cycle out of their current rides, there is going to be a circling back to bikes that will fit their needs.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that, I'm curious as to why she said that (usually associated with some sort of saddle woe - though it looks like she had an Attack to begin with - or discomfort somewhere else).

please note: not arguing with you simply curious. I do what I hope are generally "good" fittings at my shop with the "right" philosophies so am always looking to see what good people are doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go out and find yourself a vintage Sofride Rocket or Classic Beam bike. Another alternative could be a Falco or a Diamond for you. And then there is also a Griffen or an Elite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, SuperDave said that they made a custom stem for Rinny….If she wanted to she could have gotten lower on the IA. Maybe he has a spare ;-)

Funny how none of the big companies are offering a modified stem/option, even Cervelo has gone away from the X-low option….I guess as others have said not much of a market.

Having said that I feel your pain, on my P5 (51) I just modified the arm pads so they are about 1 inch further ahead and just learned to live with the steering. Last year I noticed it, this year I just got used to it. The FC on the P5 is about 2cm shorter than your P3-SL which I used to ride.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was just having fun.

Shoulder and neck pain, which made her think she needed to go higher, but it was just the opposite. This is why I don't necessarily agree with listening to the consumer about what they think they want, at least before a fit. Most don't realize, because they've been conditioned to believe in these myths about fit, that what they think is uncomfortable is actually very comfortable. There is nothing more fun for me than dropping the aero bars on the fit bike and watching the client's face as they're shocked at how much more comfortable the position becomes. Favorite part of the fit! Not something you can do without a fit bike - not very well anyway.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Nick B wrote:
Dev, most ppl dont have injuries keeping them from obtaining a faster position.

The problem lies with inappropriate fitters and use of words like "comfort" and "aggressive"

Come back when you are 55 or even 45. Most of those athletes have a variety of limitations.

I rarely find that to be true. We have 70 yr old clients who would put most people's positions on this forum to shame.

Gotta agree with Jim here....I am 48 and ride in pretty low / long position w/ no issues, as do most of my training buddies. But we all also have a lot of years in the saddle, which I think goes a long way towards being able to ideal position on your own.

That said, to dev's points above re: the market, I largely agree, but disagree in a few important areas. Back when I was doing product development in the industry, all the product guys seemed to have a built-in bias towards making bikes that *we* wanted to ride. Sure, for a mountain bike, we would shorten the TT up a bit and put a shorter / higher rise stem on, or maybe even *gasp* use a rise bar....but in general, they were mostly bikes that were built around a racers' mentality.

And what our dealers kept telling us (and what we were slow to respond to) was that our customers weren't interested in riding bikes like that. So they were coming in, buying a mountain bike and swapping out for smoother tires, higher rise stems / bars and big fat cushy saddles. In short, we weren't listening to the voice of the consumer. The company I was working for at the time finally took notice and we developed the first "comfort" bike that not only included all the points noted, but we designed a frame around the idea of "comfort"....which from a frame design POV meant a more upright position. I also then used a similar concept to design one of the first "disease ride" bikes.....a style that eventually emerged as the Gran Fondo bikes today.

But the difference was that we didn't abandon the other bike designs.....we augmented our bike lines with the new models, but kept selling the other ones as well. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening as it pertains to tri bikes. The trend right now is undoubtedly towards the bikes with higher stacks and shorter reach, but it is now to the detriment of the long / low bikes. And the reality is that there is still a market for those bikes, and many, many people were able to successfully fit on them. There is the possibility for both designs to co-exist in the market.....but the bike industry is very much one that follows trends hard. And when Specialized had great success with the Shiv Tri geometry, everyone else started running in that direction.....which left a lot of us abandoned.

So while the move to shorter and taller bikes is absolutely correct (gotta listen to the Voice of the Consumer, right?), it does not mean you need to abandon Long & Low. My guess is that as the people who can ride those bikes start to cycle out of their current rides, there is going to be a circling back to bikes that will fit their needs.

I think the problem is R&D associated with each bike variant and incremental market for a product spin to target a slightly different segment outside the main market. The main market is the back 97% of the triathlon field in 49-59. If you can sell one product to them (different size molds but the same bike), then you're done. Outside that, you have to decide if you want another product to address the slices of the market outside of the fat part of the market (I am talking about TAM, not size the the athletes).

Sure there is a market of riders like Nick B, but you can sell the same P3 you sell to me with no spacers and sell it to guys like him with a negative rise stem...and get gets better...I am the "no spacer guy" on the new P3, so you can sell it to all the guys above me who need 1, 2, 3, 4 spacers. If you make a bike for Nick and make me use 8 spacers, (and I am in the 10 percentile group who don't need spacers) then you can't sell really well to the additional 90% above me who need 1-4 spacers. So why bother making a bike optimized around Nick's needs, when you can address much larger TAM (sorry, you know the acronym....Total Available Market) if it is built around a different 'zero spacer athlete' who is closer to the bulk of the market.

If I was a VP in a bike company I'd tell the tri/TT bike product manager guy, "I am going to give you as small a R&D budget to minimize my R&D spend on this small market and with which you need to address 80-90% of the market...spec out a product that does that, or I am putting that money into Hybrid bike that I can sell to every fitness rec athlete. I want to win the entire latter market because I think we can make more revenue there...all this tri stuff is niche...I'll put money into because it is cool and a nice market to have flagship products in....but only so many $$$.... so come up with something that gets me the biggest bang for my R&D....don't try to worry about niche usages in the market, we'll leave that to small bike companies who can make money servicing those market segments...they are not interesting enough to put incremental R&D into...I'll put my R&D elsewhere....we can only spend so much R&D on the tri market and I really don't want to add another sets of molds to address only 5% or less of the market when I can service that incremental segment with the same investment in the main line product and get maybe half of that anyway".

That's really the main reason why Nick is not getting the bike he wants. I appreciate his frustration because I was exactly like him, mucking around with ergo stems, low stack padding etc etc. Back in the day, if I got an extra small bike and jacked my saddle forward, I'd literally fly over the front, and so I needed to go with a larger frame with decent front center, then jack the saddle forward and take an ergo stem to get low. The problem back in the day with going long and low was there were no long and low bikes...we had to use road bikes that were small to get low, but then there was not enough bike in front of you....so you had to go with a decent size frame and then get the saddle forward with a forward seat post and then low with an ergo stem.

Fortunately long and low tri bikes started coming soon enough later, but athletes who need to do this have generally been the pointy end of the field. Guys who just want to do their first Ironman for the FINISH are 1/3 of every WTC IM. They are not the guys going to Jim at Ero sport for fit and they don't need what Nick B wants (or what I used to want).

Think about this for a second. If every IM has 800 newbie IM's that likely means there are 800 certain sales at each IM. Then there are 1600 more who have bikes and will upgrade. Out of 2400, there are maybe 200 who seriously will get close to Kona of which maybe only 100 need to slam the stem as low as you can go on a new P3 or a Shiv. If you can get low enough for Ben Hoffman or a Craig Alexander or Frodo on a Shiv, then imagine the discussion inside the company, "OK, so I can sell the same bike to the 16 hour finisher as Frodo and they can both do what they need to do in an IM? Sounds like we don't need to invest in another complimentary frame for the guys who need to get even lower."

What would you do if you were the CFO and just looks at R&D spend and ROI and had to look at the NPV on a variety of investments today?

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Yeah, I was just having fun.

Shoulder and neck pain, which made her think she needed to go higher, but it was just the opposite. This is why I don't necessarily agree with listening to the consumer about what they think they want, at least before a fit. Most don't realize, because they've been conditioned to believe in these myths about fit, that what they think is uncomfortable is actually very comfortable. There is nothing more fun for me than dropping the aero bars on the fit bike and watching the client's face as they're shocked at how much more comfortable the position becomes. Favorite part of the fit! Not something you can do without a fit bike - not very well anyway.

I remember on a ride training for IMC 1995. Right on the side of the road, I stopped my buddy, took out my Allen key and loosened the bolt on his quill stem, slammed the stem down 5 cm and saw that exact expression...moved the saddle forward 4 cm and up a few mm and told him that he was going ride the last 3 hours home whether he liked it or not....he could not believe that it would be possible! He was slammed back in a roadie position with clip ons (as you would expect back then).

Then he says, "It is uncomfortable riding sitting on the hoods in this position" To which I replied, "You don't ride in the hoods, that's just there for when you brake". Every position outside of the aero is just there for turning or stopping or mounting, but no where else.

So I agree with everything you guys are saying, BUT what you guys want does not sell more bikes....at least "not enough bikes"

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
IIRC, SuperDave said that they made a custom stem for Rinny….If she wanted to she could have gotten lower on the IA. Maybe he has a spare ;-)

Funny how none of the big companies are offering a modified stem/option, even Cervelo has gone away from the X-low option….I guess as others have said not much of a market.

Having said that I feel your pain, on my P5 (51) I just modified the arm pads so they are about 1 inch further ahead and just learned to live with the steering. Last year I noticed it, this year I just got used to it. The FC on the P5 is about 2cm shorter than your P3-SL which I used to ride.

Maurice

It seems like you have to do what we did back in the day on a road bike when we had to go with larger frames and then get low with an ergo stem to get enough front center for handling. But what options are there to slam a P5 stem low ?
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that manufacturers are building what they can sell, but it's only because bike shops are incapable of selling a proper tri bike because they're incapable of conducting proper tri fits. I've had two manufacturers admit this to me personally, and know of a third who admitted it to AndyF. Shops might have all the latest fit tech, and have attended a 2-3 day fit school, and even another school to pronounce them "Master Fitters" but that does not a fitter make. No one can even begin to fit for ERO unless they go through a 6 month apprenticeship, and have advanced education in some form of exercise science. Only then can they touch one of our clients, and for a year after they're allowed to fit on their own, each of their fit's data is individually evaluated and critiqued.

And, no, the majority of our clients are not at the pointy end of the tri spectrum. The overwhelming majority of our tri clients (74% of our fits are tri-specific) are new to the sport and have either never been in aero before, or they've been in aero for a very short time. Average age is 38-58, and most leave with positions similar to our elites. Oh, and although it's a strange number, 52% of our clients are women, and they, too, achieve aero positions just as easily as men. In fact, I would contend women are able to achieve aero positions more easily than men as long as their saddle is comfortable. Amazingly, many tri-specific saddles become more comfortable as, you guessed it, you get lower!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...there you have it. Jim is one of the best fitters I've worked with. (Hi Jim! Love ya, man!) There are many more, but they are all bumping up against frame stack constraints.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No options really except to get a size smaller and deal with the steering issues, or to get an aftermarket stem/bar combo, which sort of defeats the purpose of buying a (integrated) "super bike" in the first place place.

Also BB's are lower now by 1-2cm, which affects stack or at least changes how high the front vs seat height is. Not sure how much of the short/high trend is lower BB or higher head tube.

*Edit: Also for some Crank length is less….. and actually I have seen on a few brands where spec is about 5mm lower so very rare to find a bike even in the largest size which has a 175, maybe the reason for lower BB in some brands.

I'm pretty sympathetic to Nick but I think I'm in the minority.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Oct 22, 14 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
I agree that manufacturers are building what they can sell, but it's only because bike shops are incapable of selling a proper tri bike because they're incapable of conducting proper tri fits. I've had two manufacturers admit this to me personally, and know of a third who admitted it to AndyF. Shops might have all the latest fit tech, and have attended a 2-3 day fit school, and even another school to pronounce them "Master Fitters" but that does not a fitter make. No one can even begin to fit for ERO unless they go through a 6 month apprenticeship, and have advanced education in some form of exercise science. Only then can they touch one of our clients, and for a year after they're allowed to fit on their own, each of their fit's data is individually evaluated and critiqued.

And, no, the majority of our clients are not at the pointy end of the tri spectrum. The overwhelming majority of our tri clients (74% of our fits are tri-specific) are new to the sport and have either never been in aero before, or they've been in aero for a very short time. Average age is 38-58, and most leave with positions similar to our elites. Oh, and although it's a strange number, 52% of our clients are women, and they, too, achieve aero positions just as easily as men. In fact, I would contend women are able to achieve aero positions more easily than men as long as their saddle is comfortable. Amazingly, many tri-specific saddles become more comfortable as, you guessed it, you get lower!

Thanks Jim...and the stats are interesting. Keep in mind that the core business of bike companies is to just sell bikes, and secondary is to sell bikes that fit well. For bike shops, the first thing is to sell the bike, second is that the customer is comfortable so they had a good use experience and the third is that they are going fast and aero optimized. So you can see where a pro fit like what you would offer would be a tertiary element of their sell cycle. If you are selling aerodynamics and fit, that IS the business.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Maurice

When I asked bout this option, I was told I could do it, but I would be slower for it (SuperDave said this). The conversion stems will be available at some point I believe.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Shops might have all the latest fit tech, and have attended a 2-3 day fit school, and even another school to pronounce them "Master Fitters" but that does not a fitter make. No one can even begin to fit for ERO unless they go through a 6 month apprenticeship, and have advanced education in some form of exercise science. Only then can they touch one of our clients, and for a year after they're allowed to fit on their own, each of their fit's data is individually evaluated and critiqued.

I have to commend you for this. Logic, paddling upstream in the face of "Sales First". What a concept.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, I am sympathetic what you, Nick and others are asking for from an athlete perspective. I am just trying to explain why they may not getting what they want from a business perspective. Every day in my professional life, I have to leave customers unserviced for THEIR needs, because the segment they represent does not warrant my executives giving more R&D dollars to service them. It is not optimal for them and I don't like that I can't address their needs, but I'm stuck developing stuff what will make our investors happy. Less R&D spend, more revenue is what the boss (NASDAQ) wants us to do....and when I buy stock in some company, I want them to spend zero dollars on R&D, have everyone working 18 hours per day, not seeing their families, and maximizing revenue. 6-9 months later, I will run with my stock upside and find another company to put my money in. That's being extreme, but in an imperfect world, this is the extreme end of the trend. Somewhere in between is reality where there is some R&D spend, but some market segments end up being under serviced because of product portfolios not being large enough to address all ends of the market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lot there to respond to...not certain I have the energy tonight. Wink

But, a couple of quick points:

* I think we just disagree with the size of the market for people who could / would ride a long / low bike. And as more people figure out that their short / tall bikes aren't really what works best for them, I expect this number to rise. This will e further exacerbated by rivers in older bikes looking for new ones with similar geos.

* the bike biz has rarely shied away from SKU proliferation. It is, IMO, the biggest issue robbing it of profitability. PM's are convinced that they need this niche and that. But tri bikes are a category that is showing growth. I feel pretty confident saying that a line of L&L bikes would sell better than other lines currently being manufactured. Hell, look how many variants of 'cross bikes there are now that discs have hit big. How about the 16 different sizes of MTB wheel bikes do they need? 26", 29'ers, 650b, etc. nobody has any problem investing the R&D for those niches.

Now, it has been a while since I was in the bike biz, but I would wager a guess that the biggest obstacle to more bikes for tri is the industry itself and the traditional mental block re: "tri geeks". That is changing, but clearly still there since so many companies insist on still developing bikes that are UCI legal but marketing them as tri bikes.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
There's been a convergence in the bike industry to Trek's middle of the road geometry. I can't say I blame the industry for moving towards that direction, but I believe the trend is preventing us from achieving faster, more aero positions.

My position, which doesn't seem extreme by any means, cannot be replicated on a single super bike due to the lack of reach, excess stack, and lack of extension tilt.

My only option for a faster frame is picking up a used P4, which is still a bit of compromise with the rear braking and wheel with limitations.

How do you guys feel about bike geometry? What would you like to see in the future?

2 quick comments:

First, what crank length do you run? Going significantly shorter may help alleviate your stack issue.

Second, with as far forward as you sit, have you explored moving your bars forward and up a bit (i.e. superman-ish) to be slightly less "hunched" and possibly allow your pelvis to tilt forward better?

That bike just looks way too small for you...

BTW, that's a Scott 100K bar right? Nice. :-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [Jim Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim Martin wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Maurice

When I asked bout this option, I was told I could do it, but I would be slower for it (SuperDave said this). The conversion stems will be available at some point I believe.

The custom stem for rinny is not for her to get lower, but for her to use the profile aerobars (her sponsor). I think the felt bar and stem would allow her to get the same pad stack (or maybe lower) and I would guess the felt bars are faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
The custom stem for rinny is not for her to get lower, but for her to use the profile aerobars (her sponsor). I think the felt bar and stem would allow her to get the same pad stack (or maybe lower) and I would guess the felt bars are faster.

I got the chance to really look closely at her 2013 ride. I know she is using the custom stem because she needs to ride profile bars. Nontheless, it appears as if the CL of her stem at bars is lower than the lowest setting for the integrated bars.

In addition, being able to use different bars, not stock IA ones and not Rinny's PD bars would present additional options, maybe lower ones.

Finally, it may be possible that instead of a custom stem, they allow normal stems to attach to the stock steerer via an adapter of sorts, again giving more options and potentially even a negative stem.

Last but not least, Dave confirmed that you can get lower using the custom stem, he is of the opinion that it would be slower though (due to losing the integration).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jim,

can you recommend a good fitter in the northeast. mass, nh, maine, ri in particular?

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick B wrote:
There's been a convergence in the bike industry to Trek's middle of the road geometry. I can't say I blame the industry for moving towards that direction, but I believe the trend is preventing us from achieving faster, more aero positions.

My position, which doesn't seem extreme by any means, cannot be replicated on a single super bike due to the lack of reach, excess stack, and lack of extension tilt.

My only option for a faster frame is picking up a used P4, which is still a bit of compromise with the rear braking and wheel with limitations.

How do you guys feel about bike geometry? What would you like to see in the future?

Looks like a 51cm IA would fit the front end stack based solely on the pad/front wheel relationship.
I'd also consider your position to be too low for a lowest possible drag perspective from my W.A.G. experience.

And...
Eat a cheeseburger.

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Death of Long and Low Geometry [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
This is best post I've ever seen on Slowtwitch in a long time! It's way up there with stuff that Josh Poertner posts and Slowman's posts on bike fitting. Mark this one down, folks, and read Nick B's post very carefully.

Frame stack is getting taller, which means that there's very little left to fit fast, low riders. Worse still, frame stack eats away at other ways to attain the same rider stack. I'd rather use aero armpad spacers, for example, than let an ugly non-aero head tube take up the stack. Tall head tubes are getting in the way of aerodynamics.

Well said, Nick B!

The head tube is the "fastest" member of some of our aero bicycles. You want more of it, not less.
Aerobar risers are typically bad unless you use LOTS of them and let the base bar fly in the clean air without arm/extension interference.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
That's what you get when you turn bike fit into a marketing tool instead of the art form it should be. Shops simply don't know how to fit bikes properly, and so manufacturers now build bikes that they can sell instead of what they know is right. Great for me, as all those people need to be re-fit! Finding a bike to fit them...that's another story. When a Trek Speed Concept is considered a long/low bike, you know we've gone in the wrong direction. Felt DA long & low? Really?

It also never ceases to amazing me how people have been conditioned to accept less than optimal positions, or buy into the flexibility or aggressive is less comfortable myths. Flexibility has nothing to do with it, it doesn't take significant adaptation time (if any), lower is almost always more comfortable - you just have to do it right, and you need to do it with a fit bike. And, by the way, if you just put someone in aero and start moving that fit bike around under them without allowing them to re-set themselves, you're doing it wrong. About 72% off all people will not rotate their hips properly if that's how you conduct fits. But, hey, keep doing it! More business for me!

With the exception of the two largest sizes a stock DA can get the brake levers below the top of the front tire with the lowest 0mm rise flat stem option.
I'm not sure how low you'd need a DA to get but at some point the riders head is going to hit the front wheel.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply

Prev Next