Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Death at lavaman [Mell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mell wrote:
Firstly, my condolences to his family :(

However I would like to know how the statistics on MIs/VSAs at triathlons compare to the general population. My husband is a first responder, he sees 4-5 VSAs a week, and about half as many again "shortness of breath/chest pain" calls. He's acutely aware that the vast majority of these are people in their late 40's and 50's - guys his age, but with underlying health issues: high BP, type 2 diabetes, overweight. All things that fitness helps to prevent.

Yes, we hear a lot in the media about these awful events during triathlon. We don't hear about the number of this same demographic that are dying in their home, cars and offices.

The rub is that we are not like the general population, we exercise to maintain our health and quality of life, and put the effort in to control the factors that we can (exercise, diet, etc.). While everyone who has a cardiac event is surprised, it is very surprising (read newsworthy) when there is a death at an athletic event. Sudden cardiac death doesn't seem like an appropriate biological response to an exercise episode in a conditioned athlete, while it does seem very logical for someone with serious health issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 75 and looking forward to st Anthony's in 3 weeks. Not having been swimming for a year I was worried. However after doing 2000 yards this am at my usual race pace I feel better. Having been there with a friend with chest compressions and a defillibrator a year ago(he died)when it's time to go it's time to go. The good news is he did not have to live out his days in a wretched nursing home.
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ptakeda wrote:
Reynolds completed the race last year in a time of 3 hours, 38 minutes, according to the race results.

Very sad indeed. And I don't buy the "died doing what he loved" stuff. It's just plain sad for him, his friends and his family.

It would interesting to know more about his actual fitness level this year versus the previous year and if that played a role. In 2014 someone posted earlier that he completed the race in 3:38. That's a time that one would associate with a "fit" triathlete...unless he had an issue on the course. I did this race in 2012, and the slowest competitor in my age group (55-59) finished in 3:01.
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannot say I know any type of scientific data on this, but to me it has nothing to do with swimming - essentially. To me, I think most deaths in triathlons occur in the water because, well, its the first event. Meaning, if running was first, they would still have had a heart attack.

I think most people do not properly warm up enough and try to go from 0-100 and it's very demanding on the body. At least that's just my thought. Either way, regardless of what you are doing, when the heart stops, the heart stops. It's inevitable for all of us, live life up while you can live it up!
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [npompei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npompei wrote:
Cannot say I know any type of scientific data on this, but to me it has nothing to do with swimming - essentially. To me, I think most deaths in triathlons occur in the water because, well, its the first event. Meaning, if running was first, they would still have had a heart attack.

I think most people do not properly warm up enough and try to go from 0-100 and it's very demanding on the body. At least that's just my thought. Either way, regardless of what you are doing, when the heart stops, the heart stops. It's inevitable for all of us, live life up while you can live it up!

I don't think this is correct but I don't have any handy stats to refute this yet. If you look at running races, very few deaths happen early in the race near the start. It seems that most running related deaths happen near the end of the race when athletes are tired, dehydrated, and blood volume is lower and viscosity is higher than early in the race. Unlike swimming when we start running, we have infinite access to air and no one is going over our back further limiting our access to oxygen as may be the case in the swim.

I think a very useful technique for all of us older athletes to learn and to practice is to breath on every stroke, meaning on every hand entry, not every second or third hand entry.

In the case of the fellow athlete who died at lavaman though, my understanding is that it was not near the start line either though and further into the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
npompei wrote:

I don't think this is correct but I don't have any handy stats to refute this yet. If you look at running races, very few deaths happen early in the race near the start. It seems that most running related deaths happen near the end of the race when athletes are tired, dehydrated, and blood volume is lower and viscosity is higher than early in the race. Unlike swimming when we start running, we have infinite access to air and no one is going over our back further limiting our access to oxygen as may be the case in the swim.

I think a very useful technique for all of us older athletes to learn and to practice is to breath on every stroke, meaning on every hand entry, not every second or third hand entry.

In the case of the fellow athlete who died at lavaman though, my understanding is that it was not near the start line either though and further into the swim.

You are very correct there on the run aspect no doubt. And again, I'm not saying I know anything or claim to. I've just always thought that was a reason why it may happen. Either way it sucks for family/friends
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Don't you mean every right hand entry? Or every left hand entry? Because that is considered 'once every stroke cycle.'

If yes, this is a good practice for every distance swimmer, not just older ones.
Why? If your stroke is even half decent, you'll be able to swim faster.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Don't you mean every right hand entry? Or every left hand entry? Because that is considered 'once every stroke cycle.'

If yes, this is a good practice for every distance swimmer, not just older ones.
Why? If your stroke is even half decent, you'll be able to swim faster.

I meant EVERY HAND entry (both left and right)...double the oxygen of right hand entry (pick your side) only. Monty has talked about this technique in several threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, gotcha.

But would this be for the whole swim?
Or, just the 100-200yd sprint in the beginning?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I meant EVERY HAND entry (both left and right)...double the oxygen of right hand entry (pick your side) only. Monty has talked about this technique in several threads.

I mean.. at that point, why don't I just do the "lady just got her hair done swimming breast-stroke at the pool without head going underwater" stroke I see at the Gym?
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife was on the beach when I was competing and she saw them bring the poor guy in. My wife is a doctor, she said the medical folks did a great job, refusing to give up and get his heart beating again but in her opinion even if he had survived he would have had brain injury. FWIW, he was a very large guy. When I talked to Gerry Roth (RD) after the race, she was optimistic that he would recover. Very sad, you know that someone was waiting for him to come home from this trip.

Live long and surf!
Last edited by: Giant Steps: Apr 6, 15 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I mean.. at that point, why don't I just do the "lady just got her hair done swimming breast-stroke at the pool without head going underwater" stroke I see at the Gym?

You guys don't get it. Every hand stroke entry breathing is actually quite fast. It is different from heads up crawl. Ask Monty or Slowman. Think about it this way...if your stroke rate is 60 per minute breathing every third hand entry you breath 20 times, with every second hand entry it is 30 times, with every hand entry it is 60 times. When you are in a one minute sprint while running, do you only breath 20 or 30 times per minute? I'll breath 60 to 90 times per minute (90 times is once every right foot strike). So why do you guys think that breathing more in swimming is bad?

Having said that, you don't need these high breathing rates in steady state aerobic performance, but for the first 100-200m its not such a bad thing especially when you are getting battered in a mass swim start already missing breaths because of the presence of turbulent water or body parts of other swimmers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
You guys don't get it. Every hand stroke entry breathing is actually quite fast. It is different from heads up crawl. Ask Monty or Slowman. Think about it this way...if your stroke rate is 60 per minute breathing every third hand entry you breath 20 times, with every second hand entry it is 30 times, with every hand entry it is 60 times. When you are in a one minute sprint while running, do you only breath 20 or 30 times per minute? I'll breath 60 to 90 times per minute (90 times is once every right foot strike). So why do you guys think that breathing more in swimming is bad?

Having said that, you don't need these high breathing rates in steady state aerobic performance, but for the first 100-200m its not such a bad thing especially when you are getting battered in a mass swim start already missing breaths because of the presence of turbulent water or body parts of other swimmers.

Nowhere in my run at 5k+ do I breath faster than every 4 steps (for a complete cycle). So 40ish times a minute. 60 times is a lot higher, I cannot sustain that much breathing... wears out my diaphragm.

If people die from starting too fast, shouldn't they start slower and ease into the swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relevant link.

http://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/news/20150406/fit-at-50-cardiac-arrest-during-exercise-unlikely-study-finds

From the article:

Quote:
They found only 5 percent of attacks occurred during sports activity such as jogging or bicycling.
Quote:
When you take a closer look at those who have a sports-related cardiac arrest, they were more likely to survive than those whose cardiac arrest was not sports-related [..]
Quote:
[..] fit men and women were more likely to survive than unfit folks (23 percent versus 14 percent).
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SummitAK [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
TunaBoo wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I can see taking extra breaths as needed but breathing every single stroke for 100 m would make me dizzy i think, but obv everyone has to go with what works best for him/her. I think the start of any tri is where having a good swim background comes in the most handy, and then the second half of the run is where it becomes much less useful:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

This, I think, is where the problem starts for the old guys. They are racing differently than they are training. I'm 65 and I don't swim with a masters group so maybe I miss it but I never see older guys busting it for 200 to 300 sprints. Come race day and they are in the water with no warm-up acting like they have to get on the feet of the leaders.

Old guys, swim within yourself. Don't jamb your heart rate up from 0 to 180 in the first 100 yards. You can't be first in your age group if you don't finish the swim.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

This, I think, is where the problem starts for the old guys. They are racing differently than they are training. I'm 65 and I don't swim with a masters group so maybe I miss it but I never see older guys busting it for 200 to 300 sprints. Come race day and they are in the water with no warm-up acting like they have to get on the feet of the leaders.

Old guys, swim within yourself. Don't jamb your heart rate up from 0 to 180 in the first 100 yards. You can't be first in your age group if you don't finish the swim.

I do not care what the age of the person is, one needs to do something before the swim start to get ones heart rate up.

I am always amazed how many folks I see just sitting on their butts before the swim start. No pre swim. No running. Nothing.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Food for thought, why aren't there more deaths at masters swim meets?
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [BonusTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: ericmulk: Apr 7, 15 20:25
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
BonusTri wrote:

I've thought about this quite a bit myself, and I think it is b/c masters swimmers actually train for swimming in competition, whereas many tri peeps mainly train for the B + R, and are woefully under-trained for the swim, b/c it is such a small part of the race. Kind of ironic but it could be that, in their desire to cater to "what the customer wants", "increase their market share", "increase participation by the masses", and my personal favorite "we're sticking with the original Ironman distances b/c that's what the customer wants", race organizers are unwittingly contributing to the "heart attack in the swim" issue by keeping the swim relatively short in most races. If the swim were longer in iron races, like say 5 miles, then people would take the swim more seriously.

Of course, some will argue that masters competition is "not as stressful" as swimming in a tri b/c you have your very own lane and no one is elbowing you or trying to swim over you but when you get up on the blocks in a swim meet, it is just you all by yourself up there, all out in the open, with your stroke clearly on display during the race, along with your time on display on the scoreboard, and your being ahead or behind the others in your heat being very clearly visible to anyone paying attention. When you swim in a tri, you just blend in with the masses unless you are very fast or very slow, whereas a swim meet performance is a very, very public event. It's just you in your Speedo up on the blocks and in the water, without 200 other swimmers to hide behind:)

Someone just died at Lavaman, and here you are proclaiming about how stressful it is what others might think of a masters swimmer relative to his peers. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT IS GOING TO CAUSE SOMEONE THAT MUCH STRESS THAT THEY WILL DIE? Seriously? This is all you could come up with?

Triathon swim starts in open water, often mass starts with people swimming over your back, depriving you of oxygen are an entirely different world from a masters swim meet. To some degree you are being like the swimmer version of H2ofun...in other words, everyone should do like you do because it is the only way. I won't deny you that more swimming is helpful, but you're making the assumption that our peer athlete who dies in lavaman did not train for swimming.

One of my very good friends died at mile 25.5 at the Philly marathon a few years ago. He was on sub 3 hour pace at the time. Earlier in the year, he went 10:0x at the IMLP on a no wetsuit swim day. You know what people were saying when they heard some poor guy died in the final mile of the Philly marathon? They were saying, "oh yeah, another out of shape dude that did the marathon on a whim and dies during the race." But no, he was not out of shape and he trained really well. Shit happens sometimes to guys who train too.

Do people did in swims because they are not training for it? Perhaps, perhaps not. I think it's unfair to get on this thread where one of our peer athletes passed away and then tell people they don't train enough for swimming. I know what you are getting at, but it is disrespectful at least in this thread. Some guy left behind family and friends doing what we love. We can always suggest better ways to handle the mass start, but just saying people die in mass swim starts because they don't train for swimming seems to be crossing the line...at least it comes off as saying that our man who died at lavaman, would be here today if he trained for swimming...at least this is how it came across when I read your comment. I think there is a time and place for that commentary, and its not in this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
BonusTri wrote:

I've thought about this quite a bit myself, and I think it is b/c masters swimmers actually train for swimming in competition, whereas many tri peeps mainly train for the B + R, and are woefully under-trained for the swim, b/c it is such a small part of the race. Kind of ironic but it could be that, in their desire to cater to "what the customer wants", "increase their market share", "increase participation by the masses", and my personal favorite "we're sticking with the original Ironman distances b/c that's what the customer wants", race organizers are unwittingly contributing to the "heart attack in the swim" issue by keeping the swim relatively short in most races. If the swim were longer in iron races, like say 5 miles, then people would take the swim more seriously.

Of course, some will argue that masters competition is "not as stressful" as swimming in a tri b/c you have your very own lane and no one is elbowing you or trying to swim over you but when you get up on the blocks in a swim meet, it is just you all by yourself up there, all out in the open, with your stroke clearly on display during the race, along with your time on display on the scoreboard, and your being ahead or behind the others in your heat being very clearly visible to anyone paying attention. When you swim in a tri, you just blend in with the masses unless you are very fast or very slow, whereas a swim meet performance is a very, very public event. It's just you in your Speedo up on the blocks and in the water, without 200 other swimmers to hide behind:)

Someone just died at Lavaman, and here you are proclaiming about how stressful it is what others might think of a masters swimmer relative to his peers. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT IS GOING TO CAUSE SOMEONE THAT MUCH STRESS THAT THEY WILL DIE? Seriously? This is all you could come up with?

Triathon swim starts in open water, often mass starts with people swimming over your back, depriving you of oxygen are an entirely different world from a masters swim meet. To some degree you are being like the swimmer version of H2ofun...in other words, everyone should do like you do because it is the only way. I won't deny you that more swimming is helpful, but you're making the assumption that our peer athlete who dies in lavaman did not train for swimming.

One of my very good friends died at mile 25.5 at the Philly marathon a few years ago. He was on sub 3 hour pace at the time. Earlier in the year, he went 10:0x at the IMLP on a no wetsuit swim day. You know what people were saying when they heard some poor guy died in the final mile of the Philly marathon? They were saying, "oh yeah, another out of shape dude that did the marathon on a whim and dies during the race." But no, he was not out of shape and he trained really well. Shit happens sometimes to guys who train too.

Do people did in swims because they are not training for it? Perhaps, perhaps not. I think it's unfair to get on this thread where one of our peer athletes passed away and then tell people they don't train enough for swimming. I know what you are getting at, but it is disrespectful at least in this thread. Some guy left behind family and friends doing what we love. We can always suggest better ways to handle the mass start, but just saying people die in mass swim starts because they don't train for swimming seems to be crossing the line...at least it comes off as saying that our man who died at lavaman, would be here today if he trained for swimming...at least this is how it came across when I read your comment. I think there is a time and place for that commentary, and its not in this thread.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: ericmulk: Apr 7, 15 20:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, are you sure you didn't mean this breathing every hand entry as an April 1st idea? You would need to be an experience swimmer to pull this off without becoming disoriented and you wouldn't have time to adequately exhale. Breathing this often would only encourage inefficient technique and improper pacing thereby enhancing one's chances of experiencing problems on the swim. Proper training, a good warmup, and pacing commensurate with one's abilities are the best ways to avoid a cardiac event in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Death at lavaman [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to find an in between answer as well to Dev's suggestion and your concern.
While it may be less efficient or streamline, well trained every stroke breathing may give the opportunity to get in as much oxygen as the body requires, which should be good.
Dev, my concern is that less trained/more panicked swimmers may breathe too much and too frequently, blowing off CO2 ->vasoconstriction especially to brain and heart -> lightheadedness to loss of consciousness -> loss of breathing reflex (again due to low CO2) -> drowning (or heart attack if cardiac coronary arteries vasoconstrict).
Hoping to hear and learn from other opinions, medical or otherwise.
Disclaimer: bad swimmer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next