Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by pedalincoastal
Re: Dear Mr. Larsen..... [pedalincoastal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a feeling of mine but I think that 4 week cycle of 6 hours a week is preceded by a 10+ year period of mega miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr. Larsen..... [KingK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, so you believe the BS?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So when he trained all day, every day... fully sponsored, time to take naps, eat right, massages, etc he couldn't come close to beating Reid or DeBoom but now that he trains less than an hour a day he beats the 3-Time World Champion easily? And you believe that?
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr. Larsen..... [ErikS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know guys that were collegiate swimmers and collegiate runners that have not donned on a pair of swim trunks and running shoes for a few years that can easily kick ass after just a couple of weeks of exercise. It is truly amazing how much residual race fitness remains.

I also think there is a lot to be said about the law of diminishing returns. He probably gets a hell of a lot of quality in 6 hours of training.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So when he trained all day, every day... fully sponsored, time to take naps, eat right, massages, etc he couldn't come close to beating Reid or DeBoom but now that he trains less than an hour a day he beats the 3-Time World Champion easily? And you believe that?
I don't think he stopped for a coffee along the way.

Last edited by: AJHull: Aug 18, 05 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr. Larsen..... [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, especially with things like swimming as it's all about your stroke. Stroke is everything in swimming and if you got it, then you got it! But a Half Ironman against two guys who have 5 World Titles between them... that's a different story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who said he trains 6 hours a week?
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr. Larsen..... [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Oh, so you believe the BS?[/reply]

Why is it BS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]So when he trained all day, every day... fully sponsored, time to take naps, eat right, massages, etc he couldn't come close to beating Reid or DeBoom but now that he trains less than an hour a day he beats the 3-Time World Champion easily? And you believe that?[/reply]

You really should check your facts. Check out the history of the three athletes in question in 1/2 IM races and get back to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys need to seriously let it go. I won't tell you to get a life b/c I spend as much time on ST as anyone, but this is growing about as tiresome as the Lance threads.

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by pedalincoastal [ In reply to ]
Re: Dear Mr. Larsen..... [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh, so you believe the BS?
So you know it's BS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love- and I mean love- how the armchair quarterbacks like to critque the professionals. I almost didn't want to speak up cause it might just spoil my fun.

some people have NO idea of the time and pain and years invested by some of the elite triathletes, cyclists and runners? the poverty, the complete sacrifices some have made while you have a cushy benefit-laden job, with your big, macho 20-mile bike on saturday morning before the even more important, starbucks " show off my new saab" post-ride event. you just don't know how things work, muchacho.

you don't get it.

why the lack of respect? it is the losing, bitter mentality of the typical ' that guy cheated me out of my kona spot'/ 'I want a trophy too' dude in here which gets me out of bed in the morning just so I can get some giggles. more more more!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]For the record...

If I was calling bullshit, I would have done so on the other threads. In my post I stated about his base and am truly curious.

I do like Casey's post though for it's comedic value!!

Brian[/reply]

I didn't think you were calling bullshit and you are right about the time and place to make those comments. As for the 6 hour a week program, I don't know that you would want to know. I have done a few trainer workouts with Steve, and I would rather do most other things that take twice as long. Way easier for me to train 12 to 15 hours a week and spread those six hours of discomfort out a bit rather than lump them all together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to do a full IM on 6 hours a week in four weeks. What would you consider a decent result of an old 48 year old guy?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr. Larsen..... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub 6 hours for sure :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for those of you smartasses who can't even read through your jealousy-filled eyes:

"Most weeks I am fortunate to train more than six hours. I make them all count and have many years of hard work to call on. "

Did you get that? MOST weeks...MORE THAN SIX hours.

Get over yourselves. Support Crew had it right. You guys rag on the slow and you dis the fast (pro or ex-pro). What tiny precious little egos.

Not like that was the ONLY qualifier in the whole IMNA/WTC franchise. He took one spot out of 1500? Puh-lease.

Steve...go kick some Kona butt!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr. Larsen..... [garth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent some time riding with a former pro cyclist a few years ago when he was working his way back into shape and he told me all he does is high intensity workouts 3 times a week on a trainer in the winter and maybe one ride outdoors. He didn't need to do the mega base miles that we all do because his body already has the base. He only needed the really high intensity workouts that most of us can only do short intervals of.

It's not unrealistic to spend "only" 6 hours a week working out if the vast majority of those workouts are really high intensity. that's something that most of us probably couldn't do, but when you have the massive base that Steve has it's a perfect way to tune it up.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by pedalincoastal [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey...really not so much to pick on you...just a better thread to remind people of what he actually said, since several have gone completely off on the 6 hour thing. Apparently a lot of people didn't catch that part of his letter.

And what someone else posted on this thread...if you just have 6 hours to train...you do quality and not quantity. I've had to do that because of work obligations before...no junk miles, etc.

we're cool. Happy training, no matter how many hours you get!
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Mr. Larsen..... [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I spend 6 hours a week on this board so I know as well as anyone how little can be accomplished in that time.
hahaaaaa funny stuff right there

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let it be known...this is my FIRST Steve Larsen post....and hopefully my last.

Have you guys looked at the splits?

Bib Name City, State Age Gen AG OA 1 Steve Larsen Bend, OR 35 M 1 1 Start 8:05:20.9 Swim 0:28:22.7 T1 0:01:59.3 Bike 2:06:34.6 T2 0:01:44.5 Run 1:24:41.8 Finish 4:03:23.0

Uh...he's a former pro cyclist folks. That fitness/ability/level doesn't exactly go away overnight and is pretty easy (for him) to get it back with minimal training. Say what you must about the 1:24:41 1/2 split......

I'd assume he doesn't swim much...

Either way....I think it's great that he's racing and look forward to his results/performance in Kona!!!!

Although, maybe him and Lieto need to partner-up on the ads in Triathlete for real estate/mortgage serivices. Oh wait, CL is a pro. ;o)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to be rude, but coiuld you just shut te fuck up?
Quote Reply

Prev Next