Quote Reply
Re: Dear Frank Day, [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Regarding the many Joaquin threads, exactly where did I fail? You might go back and review the evidence? First, Joaquin provides profession testing results and all many can do is call him or his doctor who did the tests a liar. Where was the evidence for that. Later, someone rides up a mountain with him and comes here and posts that he is "the real deal" but no one can believe such an evaluation without seeing power data. He then provided what he had stored but, unfortunately, someone modified his power files such that many here took that as evidence of his lying (despite the visual evidence of the OP that he was "the real deal" - do you think he just wished his way up the mountain?). Anyhow, he later was able to find and provide the original file to both me and Dr. Chung but he asked both of us to not share it with anyone else here, he was so disgusted with you all. If you have any real evidence that either Joaquin or I lied or falsified any data in that regard it had better be real good evidence because if you or anyone else makes that claim in public again, you or they will be setting yourself up for a liable/slander suit.

One of your failures was your inability to admit for post after post that Joaquin's power files were falsified. It is not libel to point out that the power files were falsified. They were. It was glaringly obvious. Yet you couldn't admit it. The fact that you now hide behind Joaquin's "disgust" and threats of libel/slander speaks volumes. What's disgusting is that you are attempting to portray Joaquin and yourself as victims in this matter. Why don't you come clean and tell us what really happened?

I'm curious to know what Dr. Chung's analysis was (even just qualitatively) of the supposed "original" file. Based on Frank's demonstrated lack of understanding of power files in that thread, let's just say I don't quite trust his ability to "forensically" evaluate a power file to gauge how legit it might be or not...and to be honest, the "my co-worker must have been playing a joke on me" excuse sounds a bit too much like "my dog ate my homework" ;-)
Well, you won't find out. He submitted the file to Dr. Chung (and to me) but asked both of us to not divulge anything to anyone here. I am sure Dr. Chung will honor that agreement. As you point out, my forensic analysis abilities are not only suspect, but incompetent. So, you are stuck with what you have or don't have.

Hmmm...how convenient...

Well...then I guess you can stop touting the "fact" that he sent you another file as backup for his story. For all we know, Dr. Chung just sat there shaking his head after looking at it.

It all seems really sad, actually...
It doesn't seem sad, it is sad. That some of the people here were such complete butt-heads that someone who came here to relate his experience was hounded off and wants no further contact. And, that such behaviour inhibits other actual users of the product here from saying anything for fear of the same BS coming their way. Sad indeed.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Frank Day, [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frank--I'm freely admitting being insanely late to this discussion and too lazy to search through the multitude of threads, but I wanted to ask-- has any of your research focused on riders' pedaling efficiency (left/right balance, in-stroke power variability)--not baseline power output--before using your product? It would seem that someone with reasonably good pedaling technique at baseline is going to benefit much less from using PCs because bad technique is much easier to fix than FTP. It just seems like someone with a nice, round, balanced pedal stroke isn't going to see a 100% increase in FTP like the guy who added 5mph.

Sorry if this has been addressed ad nauseum.
Last edited by: DrPete: May 6, 09 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Frank Day, [DrPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Frank--I'm freely admitting being insanely late to this discussion and too lazy to search through the multitude of threads, but I wanted to ask-- has any of your research focused on riders' pedaling efficiency (left/right balance, in-stroke power variability)--not baseline power output--before using your product? It would seem that someone with reasonably good pedaling technique at baseline is going to benefit much less from using PCs because bad technique is much easier to fix than FTP.

Sorry if this has been addressed ad nauseum.
Our "research" doesn't specifically address this but it is pretty clear it is true. The better one's technique is before getting on PC's the less the PC's have to offer in this area and these people should see smaller benefits. Of course, for these people achieving improvement is much harder so even a smaller improvement is welcome. Probably why many in the pro peloton find us useful despite the fact they are not seeing that 40% number.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

BTW, since you are always saying that your "average" customer is seeing a 40% improvement in power, and yet anybody who posts on ST shows no power improvements, that must mean that a bunch of people are seeing 80% improvements. Who are they and where is their data? Why are you hiding them? Or are you just making this all up?

And, our average customer (who uses them per our instructions) is reporting that 40% improvement in one season. Lakerfan's 10% in 6 weeks suggests the potential. It does not prove the case. Joe Skufka reported to us a 5 mph speed improvement in 6 months, from 20 to 25 mph. If his aerodynamics were the same that calculates to (edit: almost) a doubling of his power. Most of our users have to open up and get worse aerodynamics in the beginning so it is unlikely this improvement was an aerodynamic result. So, yes, we have seen reports of improvements in power greater than 80%.[/reply]
You could have just replied "I don't have any real data". Because that's all you are saying. It just took you more words.

Rik
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Frank Day, [rik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If Lakerfan had done some baseline testing prior to use, and then some power testing in that 6 weeks, the results might have some meaning.
Why don't you ask him? You could PM him. He is convinced the PC's had no influence on his improvement. How would you explain that kind of improvement in 6 weeks in the off season? You like data. He has data. I would be interested in your explanation. I don't see much "overload" in his data that would account for that kind of improvement but I would look forward to your input on this issue.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It doesn't seem sad, it is sad. That some of the people here were such complete butt-heads that someone who came here to relate his experience was hounded off and wants no further contact. And, that such behaviour inhibits other actual users of the product here from saying anything for fear of the same BS coming their way. Sad indeed.

Sigh...in true FD fashion, you've completely misunderstood and twisted the point. The behavior of those who pointed out the falsified file is not what is sad...

So, I seem to recall many others relating their experiences on ST...heck, just in this thread alone there are a couple... yet they haven't been "hounded off" or anything. I wonder what the difference is? (no need to answer, that's just a rhetorical question)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

If Lakerfan had done some baseline testing prior to use, and then some power testing in that 6 weeks, the results might have some meaning.
Why don't you ask him? You could PM him. He is convinced the PC's had no influence on his improvement. How would you explain that kind of improvement in 6 weeks in the off season? You like data. He has data. I would be interested in your explanation. I don't see much "overload" in his data that would account for that kind of improvement but I would look forward to your input on this issue.
You are grasping at straws Frank.

Rik
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

BTW, since you are always saying that your "average" customer is seeing a 40% improvement in power, and yet anybody who posts on ST shows no power improvements, that must mean that a bunch of people are seeing 80% improvements. Who are they and where is their data? Why are you hiding them? Or are you just making this all up?

And, our average customer (who uses them per our instructions) is reporting that 40% improvement in one season. Lakerfan's 10% in 6 weeks suggests the potential. It does not prove the case. Joe Skufka reported to us a 5 mph speed improvement in 6 months, from 20 to 25 mph. If his aerodynamics were the same that calculates to (edit: almost) a doubling of his power. Most of our users have to open up and get worse aerodynamics in the beginning so it is unlikely this improvement was an aerodynamic result. So, yes, we have seen reports of improvements in power greater than 80%.

You could have just replied "I don't have any real data". Because that's all you are saying. It just took you more words.

Rik[/reply] Increasing a monthly time-trial test speed from 20-25 mph (and getting to 27 mph the next year) isn't "real" data? How on earth did people assess this stuff in the days before power meters?

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You are grasping at straws Frank.

Rik
No, you are ignoring the question. You are always asking for power data showing power improvement. Lakerfan has that data. he has analyzed it one way. Why don't you tell us how you analyze it.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever happened to that big "study" a while back you were supposedly rounding up volunteers for?
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Frank Day, [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Sigh...in true FD fashion, you've completely misunderstood and twisted the point. The behavior of those who pointed out the falsified file is not what is sad...

So, I seem to recall many others relating their experiences on ST...heck, just in this thread alone there are a couple... yet they haven't been "hounded off" or anything. I wonder what the difference is? (no need to answer, that's just a rhetorical question)
Go back and read that thread my friend. It had nothing to do with pointing out that the data in the file had been manipulated. It even became apparent to the person who submitted the file. It was the attributing to this file an intent to deceive (similar to what you are doing now by using the term falsified). Go back and read the thread with an open mind and understand his disgust.

If you think people are not intimidated from posting anything positive about this product here you are not talking to the same people I do. Wonder why that might be? Lakerfan seems so intimidated that he seems compelled to turn a very positive experience into "they had no positive effect on me" experience so he can talk about it here.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Frank, if a person was to make two lists. Let's just randomly choose, oh I don't know say....1. Things that are commonly done a practical jokes. And for the second list maybe .... 2. Things that are commonly done to manipulate results or opinions.

On which of those lists would you most likely find "altering a power file"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Go back and read that thread my friend. It had nothing to do with pointing out that the data in the file had been manipulated. It even became apparent to the person who submitted the file. It was the attributing to this file an intent to deceive (similar to what you are doing now by using the term falsified). Go back and read the thread with an open mind and understand his disgust.

If you think people are not intimidated from posting anything positive about this product here you are not talking to the same people I do. Wonder why that might be? Lakerfan seems so intimidated that he seems compelled to turn a very positive experience into "they had no positive effect on me" experience so he can talk about it here.

You say "manipulated" (in a heavy-handed attempt to "minimize" what occured), and I say "falsified"...and yet, they both mean the same thing. The presented file was bogus.

Now...as to how it got that way? All I can say is "Occam's Razor"...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lakerfan seems so intimidated that he seems compelled to turn a very positive experience into "they had no positive effect on me" experience so he can talk about it here.

Lakerfan somehow doesn't strike me as the type to be intimidated. He does, though, seem rather annoyed that you keep trying to misinterpret his experiences with PCs.

Rik
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Frank Day, [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Frank, if a person was to make two lists. Let's just randomly choose, oh I don't know say....1. Things that are commonly done a practical jokes. And for the second list maybe .... 2. Things that are commonly done to manipulate results or opinions.

Well, here is the problem with that approach when one is making an accusation of lying.

1. The ride in question was observed and the rider referred to as "the real deal"
2. As I remember, he reported his average power and time from what his computer said at the top. No file involved. Some of the power numbers seemed high for the time reported until he noted that he had a heavy bike and his own weight was up. There was the problem of his being so far ahead of the observer he couldn't actually confirm that he finished the climb in the reported time. So, being incapable of actually believing what someone might say if it goes beyond their expectations, "everyone" wanted to actually see the real data file.
3. The problem with the manipulation was one of inconsistencies, cut and paste. Really amateurish stuff. It was if someone wanted it to be discovered, not trying to hide anything. Joaquin had no reason to suspect there was a problem, he just forwarded what was on is computer. I had no reason to suspect, I just posted what was forwarded.
4. So, it turns out the data file was manipulated. But, the ride was done and observed. What is not to believe? Where is the motivation for Joaquin to manipulate this data?
5. The real file, which still happened to be on his cycle computer, seemed to have "lost" the problems associated with the original file, even including the ride back down to pick up the observer and to ride back up with him, something that had been deleted from the original file. But, there was so much invective thrown his way no one will ever see that here except Dr. Chung and me.
6. Some practical joke or whatever it was.

You are, of course, free to believe whatever you want on whatever evidence you have just as Lakerfan is free to conclude the PC's had no positive effect on his power improvements.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Lakerfan seems so intimidated that he seems compelled to turn a very positive experience into "they had no positive effect on me" experience so he can talk about it here.

Lakerfan somehow doesn't strike me as the type to be intimidated. He does, though, seem rather annoyed that you keep trying to misinterpret his experiences with PCs.

Rik
He doesn't strike me as the type to be intimidated either, at least by me. But his analysis simply makes no sense. Sort of like he is trying to stay in the good graces of the "in crowd". Just analyze his data and give us your interpretation. Perhaps he might get annoyed with you if you come up with a different explanation regarding his improvement in view of his reports. If you agree with him I would like for you to present just one other example of someone of a similar capability have that same improvement under similar circumstances on regular cranks. (off season base work without any particular focus, just riding the bike).

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're so awesome, Frank :-D

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Rik
He doesn't strike me as the type to be intimidated either, at least by me. But his analysis simply makes no sense. Sort of like he is trying to stay in the good graces of the "in crowd". Just analyze his data and give us your interpretation. Perhaps he might get annoyed with you if you come up with a different explanation regarding his improvement in view of his reports. If you agree with him I would like for you to present just one other example of someone of a similar capability have that same improvement under similar circumstances on regular cranks. (off season base work without any particular focus, just riding the bike).
Here's my analysis: volume increase. And, it appears, some intensity increase along with that. Pretty simple stuff really.

Here's lakerfan's most recent (and apparently final) post on the subject:

Quote:
Frank,

I will clarify for the sake of others one last time and then I promise to never comment on another PC thread in my life. You need to ask yourself: Are you only hearing what you want to hear?

I increased my mileage by 30% during the period when I wrote that blog. That is no exaggeration. I actually went back and reviewed all my power and training data for the last 4 years just to confirm. I have never ridden more miles in training for 9 IMs than I have during that period of time. There's no other way to say this but that's called an overload. That isn't open for debate. That's an indisputable fact. We can dispute as to whether that specific overload was responsible for my improvement but we can't dispute that is was an overload.

Rik

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Well, here is the problem with that approach when one is making an accusation of lying.

1. The ride in question was observed and the rider referred to as "the real deal"

as I remember, the guy he was riding with was dropped immediately, wasn't particularly strong, and didn't actually 'witness' much of anything??

In Reply To:
2. As I remember, he reported his average power and time from what his computer said at the top. No file involved. Some of the power numbers seemed high for the time reported until he noted that he had a heavy bike and his own weight was up. There was the problem of his being so far ahead of the observer he couldn't actually confirm that he finished the climb in the reported time. So, being incapable of actually believing what someone might say if it goes beyond their expectations, "everyone" wanted to actually see the real data file.[/quote] uh huh
In Reply To:
3. The problem with the manipulation was one of inconsistencies, cut and paste. Really amateurish stuff. It was if someone wanted it to be discovered, not trying to hide anything. Joaquin had no reason to suspect there was a problem, he just forwarded what was on is computer. I had no reason to suspect, I just posted what was forwarded.[/quote] didn't it take you like 7 pages to even admit the possibility that the file was tampered with??

In Reply To:
4. So, it turns out the data file was manipulated. But, the ride was done and observed. What is not to believe?[/quote] see point 1

In Reply To:
Where is the motivation for Joaquin to manipulate this data?[/quote] really??

In Reply To:
5. The real file, which still happened to be on his cycle computer, seemed to have "lost" the problems associated with the original file, even including the ride back down to pick up the observer and to ride back up with him, something that had been deleted from the original file. But, there was so much invective thrown his way no one will ever see that here except Dr. Chung and me.[/quote] just a couple of points here: 1) Joaquin said himself that he could have a stronger friend ride the climb and use that power data. I'm not suggesting that he DID, mind you, I'm just mentioning that he himself tossed that out as a possibility 2) given that a clearly manipulated file was provided as 'evidence', what right does Joaquin have to feel so persecuted? Do you not understand how incredibly hollow this sounds??

In Reply To:
6. Some practical joke or whatever it was.[/quote] hey, anything is possible. still, that doesn't explain the persecution complex of Joaquin. I think most reasonable people would conclude that he most likely manipulated the file, so if he didn't, you'd think he'd want to explain what happened and provide the 'original'.

In Reply To:
You are, of course, free to believe whatever you want on whatever evidence you have just as Lakerfan is free to conclude the PC's had no positive effect on his power improvements.[/quote] to be totally honest, I really don't care one way or another who manipulated the file. If Joaquin says he didn't, then fine--I believe him. I just think the way you handled the whole affair spoke volumes to your (lack of) character--my opinion. Obviously you disagree--we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Rik
Here's my analysis: volume increase. And, it appears, some intensity increase along with that. Pretty simple stuff really.

Quote:
Frank,

I will clarify for the sake of others one last time and then I promise to never comment on another PC thread in my life. You need to ask yourself: Are you only hearing what you want to hear?

I increased my mileage by 30% during the period when I wrote that blog. That is no exaggeration. I actually went back and reviewed all my power and training data for the last 4 years just to confirm. I have never ridden more miles in training for 9 IMs than I have during that period of time. There's no other way to say this but that's called an overload. That isn't open for debate. That's an indisputable fact. We can dispute as to whether that specific overload was responsible for my improvement but we can't dispute that is was an overload.

Rik
You might want to check out my response to him. His improvement makes no sense from a traditional training point of view. If it does, why doesn't everyone see personal bests starting in two weeks on 7 hours of training time a week in the off season.

give me your analysis of the data, not his.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Frank Day, [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

as I remember, the guy he was riding with was dropped immediately, wasn't particularly strong, and didn't actually 'witness' much of anything??

In Reply To:
So, I go out on a ride with Levi Leipheimer and we start up the mountain and he drops me immediately. Do I really need to see him to the end or to see his power file to conclude he is "the real deal"? And, if I asked for it Levi would change it a bit to make himself look better before he gave it to me? Or, if I found out it had been manipulated I would think what I saw wasn't real? Give me a break. There is such negativisn here. Joaquin's only sin is he had remarkable improvements from training with PowerCranks and admitted to it.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Quote:
Frank,

Rik
I might add. Lakerfan gave no documentation that his mileage was up by 30% that first 2 weeks, when he started setting personal bests, or for the first 6 weeks when the big increases were there. He went back and reviewed his logs for the last 4 years to confirm. All he need to do was to review his logs for that 6 week period and compare to previous off season base efforts. He never once talks about having trouble recovering during this period. Doesn't sound like much of an overload to me. What about to you?

My best guess is his mileage didn't really go up until the new speed he had "invigorated" him and gave him new incentive. That is cool if that happened to him. But, it doesn't explain the improvements seen in that first 6 weeks of low intensity base work.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

So, I go out on a ride with Levi Leipheimer and we start up the mountain and he drops me immediately. Do I really need to see him to the end or to see his power file to conclude he is "the real deal"?

I think standing on the podium of a grand tour has me convinced that he's 'the real deal'. I'm not sure what Levi has to do with this, though??

In Reply To:
And, if I asked for it Levi would change it a bit to make himself look better before he gave it to me?[/quote] see above...

In Reply To:
Or, if I found out it had been manipulated I would think what I saw wasn't real? Give me a break.[/quote] huh?? so...forget about Levi for a second--if some random guy dropped you at the bottom of a climb, then provided you with a power file demonstrating his performance--and the file was CLEARLY MANIPULATED--you wouldn't be curious at to what's going on?? You'd just say 'well, he dropped me at the bottom of the climb, so he must be 'the real deal', whatever that means. You're either being completely intellectually dishonest, and idiot, or both.

In Reply To:
There is such negativisn here. Joaquin's only sin is he had remarkable improvements from training with PowerCranks and admitted to it.[/quote] no one is buying your faux outrage, or Joaquin's....
Quote Reply
Re: Dear Frank Day, [roady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

So, I go out on a ride with Levi Leipheimer and we start up the mountain and he drops me immediately. Do I really need to see him to the end or to see his power file to conclude he is "the real deal"?

I think standing on the podium of a grand tour has me convinced that he's 'the real deal'. I'm not sure what Levi has to do with this, though??

In Reply To:
And, if I asked for it Levi would change it a bit to make himself look better before he gave it to me?[/quote] see above...

In Reply To:
Or, if I found out it had been manipulated I would think what I saw wasn't real? Give me a break.[/quote] huh?? so...forget about Levi for a second--if some random guy dropped you at the bottom of a climb, then provided you with a power file demonstrating his performance--and the file was CLEARLY MANIPULATED--you wouldn't be curious at to what's going on?? You'd just say 'well, he dropped me at the bottom of the climb, so he must be 'the real deal', whatever that means. You're either being completely intellectually dishonest, and idiot, or both.

In Reply To:
There is such negativisn here. Joaquin's only sin is he had remarkable improvements from training with PowerCranks and admitted to it.[/quote] no one is buying your faux outrage, or Joaquin's....
Joaquin is not some random guy. His bonafides had been questioned before when his testing data was put forth. In that back and forth he invited anyone here to go out for a ride with him up this mountain. Someone took him up on it and reported on the event. Joaquin did not screen who was coming to make sure they were "weak". He didn't really care who showed up. Sounds like a guy with lots to hide? If it had been Steve Larsen I doubt he would have been dropped but I also doubt the report would have been much different. This "problem" with the file was the only way this guy (and his PowerCranks results) could be discredited.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply

Prev Next