Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
DI2 has lost it's "mind"
Quote | Reply
So I installed a DI2 group including base bar shifters on my P2 about three months ago, and up until last week it performed flawlessly. Then last week in the middle of a ride the bike shifted itself to the small chain ring on it's own. I had shifting to the rear deraillier for about five minutes then it shifted down to the 11 automatically, and I had to ride home cross chained since I could not shift up or down after wards. When I got back to the car I loaded up the bike and on the way home the bike started shifting automaticlly without any of the buttons being depressed. I figured it must be a low battery even though I charged it about 500 miles ago, so when I got home I put the battery on the charger and the battery was fully charged in less than 10 minutes.

So my next theory was that maybe one of the connections had gotten wet so I let the bike stand with the battery removed for about one day to "dry out" and then remounted the battery. This time I still had no shifting and after a few minutes the bike started to shift itself again. At this point I was baffled so I took the bike to my LBS who installed the DI2. I described what was going on to them and they seemed incredulus until I put the battery on and the bike started shifting again on its own. They mentioned that they had not seen any problems with any of the 20 some odd DI2 groups they have installed over the past year or so, and this was the first. They said they would look into it, but would likley have to contact shimano for guidance. It has been almost a week now and still no answer. Does anyone here have any ideas or a direction to go in. Luckily I have a road bike to train on in the meantime, but I really want to get back on the TT bike since it has my PM. Thanks in advance,
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [jimmyhat1978] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Skynet own Shimano?

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is something that i (not being able to afford DI2 to begin with) was wondering about.

i'm a very heavy sweater that messes up computers and cables and bolts and just about everything else that can corrode.

i'm wondering if you managed to corrode your 'switches' or perhaps you got some gu or sportsdrink in them and made them stick?

that's my un-educated guess.

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking more along the lines of 'I, Robot'. Ghost in the Machine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
Does Skynet own Shimano?

Bob

thanks for the laf!

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much juice do you have in your battery? Try re-charging your battery and see if there are still problems. If so- PM me and I'll see if I can find the right person at Shimano for you to talk with.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [fexyguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Battery is fully charged, and the diagnostic on the charger shows the battery as good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
similar problem happening to me:
http://fairwheelbikes.com/...c.php?f=3&t=9008

did you fix yours?
what happened?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
Does Skynet own Shimano?

Bob

"Shimano became self aware and at 6:18pm began wreaking havoc among cyclists worldwide"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be interested in hearing how this worked out. I was 4.5 hours into a 6 hour ride on Saturday and my bike kept on shifting to the small chain ring. I have had Di2 for a year and this is my first problem of any sort. I was able to move it back into a larger ring but within seconds it shifted back. We fought back and forth for an ugly 30 minutes or so (this included my riding for a stretch holding the button down) and then the problem seemed to go away. I figured the battery may be compromised (it definitely wasn't low) or something related to the torrential rain I rode through. However, that was within the first hour so I'd really like to know what Shimano has to say about your issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
God damn, if posts like these aren't a reason to stay well away from electronic shifting I don't know what is.

You pay all that money, get very slightly better shifting but have to put up with debugging your bike, leaving it unrideable because maybe it got a bit wet. o_O
Last edited by: rj2501: Jul 9, 12 2:44
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Di2 DA on my tri bike. Water doesn't seem to affect my set up. I rode a century in a downpour last year (rained the whole ride), and I also sweat a bunch. I never had any issues related to that specifically.

scobig wrote:
I would be interested in hearing how this worked out. I was 4.5 hours into a 6 hour ride on Saturday and my bike kept on shifting to the small chain ring. I have had Di2 for a year and this is my first problem of any sort. I was able to move it back into a larger ring but within seconds it shifted back. We fought back and forth for an ugly 30 minutes or so (this included my riding for a stretch holding the button down) and then the problem seemed to go away. I figured the battery may be compromised (it definitely wasn't low) or something related to the torrential rain I rode through. However, that was within the first hour so I'd really like to know what Shimano has to say about your issue.

Now I have had this, but not nearly as bad. Mine will dump to the small chainring randomly, but only once, twice in a row at most. It doesn't happen every ride though. It's so intermittent I have never been able to track it down, nor can I reproduce it on purpose. The only thing I've noticed is that it's worse with an older chain and *may* happen more over rough pavement, but I can't say for sure. It also only happens at higher-ish cadences - 95-97 being the lowest, but at 100+ more commonly. Could happen 2min into a ride, 3hrs in, or not at all.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has had an issue like mine. I don't think it's a big deal, but then it hasn't happened at a very inopportune time (yet).

Edit: And by intermittent/not every ride, I mean it. It may do it 3-4 rides in a row, maybe even 1-3 times in a ride, or it may not do it for 2 months. Otherwise, I really like the Di2 system and wouldn't want anything else on my bike.
Last edited by: GBL: Jul 9, 12 4:36
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [GBL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well it has been about a year since I had the initial problem with the DI2. The solution was that the connector on the rear derailler had become corroded and broken off in the housing. The wiring harness was replaced and so far the system works.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [rj2501] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these problems occur on so much less than 1% of all groups...and shimano will replace those parts if it is a persistent problem.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [Wick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's 1% more failures than I've had in 25+ years of cable shifting and doing my own maintenance (other than stuff like shearing off an entire RD in a crash, which of course is irrelevant to which type of shifting set-up is/was in place). I've also been able to mix & match some different generations of shifters, F/RD, cassettes, and/or cranks between multiple bikes without having to go out and buy essentially a whole new group each time I've made an upgrade. For my money, e-shifting remains a solution in search of a problem even when it's working flawlessly; and when it fails, it seems like an even bigger PITA to rectify.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet is never has cable contamination issues...period. These problems for the most part don't happen, and yes mechanical shifters do blow up...they aren't bulletproof either and after riding for years with mechanical and then switching to Di2, I have consistently great shifting. There are no times when the shifting begins to lag after a 5-hour slog in the rain or after a trainer session sweating all over the cables. The issues are really aren't a big deal and with Di2 it is perfect shifting every shift without hesitation. The first ride with Di2 hits perfectly too, there is no cable stretch or housing seating period either.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone experienced the rear derailleur switching partially to trim mode but for the entire range of the cassette? Meaning there are now about 20 clicks to get from the bottom to the top of the cassette. Its not very linear and doing the reset is not helping at all. Also, both the lights on the control box are flashing red briefly (and sporadically). Any suggestions?? I am at a race in France and no time to find a bike shop who could help... Battery is fully charged, although problem did start after charging the other day (but there was also traveling in between),
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for mechanical! Di2 waste of money in my opinion, you aren't gaining speed.

Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
Does Skynet own Shimano?

Bob

Classic!

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [swimmer04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was getting kinda jazzed about trying Di2 on my next build until these threads popped up. Maybe SRAM isn't that loud.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You may not be gaining any speed with DI2, but it sure is nice to be able to shift from both the aero bars and horns. Once you discover how nice that is, you will never go back to the old mech shifters. Don't be a hater because you don't have DI2.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [godekjames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
godekjames wrote:
You may not be gaining any speed with DI2, but it sure is nice to be able to shift from both the aero bars and horns. Once you discover how nice that is, you will never go back to the old mech shifters. Don't be a hater because you don't have DI2.

That! And never worrying about sluggish cables, shifting under load, broken or stretched cables, etc... I wasn't sold on Di2 until I rode it for a few months and now forget about ever going back.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just experienced a similar problem. About 85 miles into a race my FD started dropping my chain to the small ring. While climbing in the small ring it would drop to the BB, causing the chain to jam and doing some damage to my carbon frame from the torque the chain was under when it dropped. It seemed to get progressively worse over the next 20 minutes causing me to have to stop to remount the chain. The RD was also shifting on its own and seemed to be worse when the chain was at a greater angle (big chainring/small cog or large cog/small chainring). After about 7 more miles of this crazy ghost shifting my chain finally broke. So I ended up with an expensive ride in a wheel truck.

The bike is sitting at the LBS for who knows how long while my training plan flies out the window. The best possible cause I've seen from various forums is a degraded electrical connection between the wires and the FD or RD. I'm surprised there is not more information on this issue online. Electronic shifting is great but I have to admit I've lost confidence in it for now. The groupset ion my bike s less than a year old!

If anyone had solutions or actually diagnosed the problems please post them!
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 has lost it's "mind" [fatnotfossils] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my case it turned out that the wired connection to the RD was damaged and not making proper contact. Once the replaced the wiring to the RD the problem went away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
these threads on the reliability also concern me when considering including Di2 on my next build. I'm a big sweater which has caused two different sets of headphones to go "i robot" on me (no they were not wireless), combined with the odd drop out between my garmin and quarq, I need to minimize these sorts of variables. I am interested in the solution though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next