Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclocross run, just for fun to chat
Quote | Reply
Say you have decent run fitness and bike fitness. While doing some cx skills practice you are just riding at roughly upper zone 2 by HR. You get off to run some short small steps at a slow run pace. The HR still spikes an easy 10bpm.

If you were running z2 by HR then gave it 15 seconds of strides fast, I don’t notice a big instant spike.

What’s behind the muscle use and HR spike for swapping uses between bike run within the same short span that causes the spike versus a single sport spike in intensity?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross run, just for fun to chat [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i raced 'cross last weekend, but - aside from a could of quick trips over the barriers - the only time i ran was straight up some really steep hills.

from the physiology point of view, i guess it's not super-surprising - i'm usually able to hit slightly higher HR on the run than the bike, and am usually at a slighter higher HR for a given effort. maybe also there's an HR cost to switching to slightly different muscle groups?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lists more muscles in play when you run…iirc heart rates for z1,z2…. are 8-10 bpm higher for running vs cycling across the board.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I look at my watch/HR data from my races last weekend, and then compare to say Road rides or Runs with intervals, clearly different.

My average HR 162, max 200, and I spent 61% of time at Anaerobic Power with HR > 168.

I think that even at skills practice, the HIT like phenomenon has you overall higher O2 demand/consumption. Swinging leg, using arms and core for balance, and hopping off bike and then breaking into run, in cleats (not flat sneakers) all factor in to more muscle use than simply upping a pace.
Quote Reply