Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling in Wicklow, Ireland
Quote | Reply
I am going to be heading to Ireland for a couple of weeks (from N. California) to visit family, and I'd like to do some cycling in the area of the Wicklow Mountains. And maybe along the coast there. What are the roads like? How are safe are they traffic-wise? I am going to be based out of the Glen of Arhelow so if you have any ideas about that area I'd love to hear them as well. I appreciate any tips or suggestions you have.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Wicklow, Ireland [sammie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't ridden specifically in Wicklow, but have ridden a little bit in Ireland. A lot of the roads are kind of terrifying because they're a lane and a half wide, have blind corners, and are lined on both sides by hedgerows that leave you nowhere to go. If you can, scope your routes by car first.

That being said, a lot of the roads are just fine. Ride heads-up and enjoy your travels!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just don't forget that everything is the other way round. Look over the right (as in both right side and correct) shoulder. Make sure to stay safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A lot of the roads are kind of terrifying because they're a lane and a half wide, have blind corners, and are lined on both sides by hedgerows that leave you nowhere to go.

I was terrified driving a rental car for that reason...although I remember it being worse as I drove up towards northern ireland. I don't remember wicklow being as scary. I wandered around along some quiet roads up in the hills and don't recall seeing a single car. Make sure you stop in at Johnnie Fox's for a pint (highest pub in ireland).
Quote Reply