Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling in Dubai
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I’m in Dubai with my tt bike for a couple days staying near Jumeirah beach, I went cycling today and I have to say following the designated cycle paths was fun along the beach but not the best for training and the conditions weren’t great once you leave Jumeirah beach.

Are there any recommandations on an area to cycle, I wanted to go out to Al Qudra Cycling but it’s almost 45k from the hotel (I don’t have a car) so for a 2-3h ride it’s seems a bit far.

I was also wondering if you are allowed to ride on the paved roads even when there are « cycling paths » along those roads? I asked the police and they said it was fine but when looking online it seems it’s not authorized.

Looks like a fun and fast place to ride once you know the area !

Thanks for any tips,
Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Dubai [TBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there in advance of AG Worlds in Abu Dhabi in 2022. I tried to do an early morning ride out the Palm Jumeriah, that was a pain. Traffic picked up quickly and lots of cobbles and speed bumps. Looked nice on paper!

I rode at the Al Qudra cycle track. If you don't need the bike shop you can start 10 miles closer to your hotel and do the part they call the Stick. I took a cab to there and cabbie gave me his cell and I called him for the return cab ride. I just called him before I left the track and headed back on the stick to the start point. Told him I would be there in 30 minutes. He even had a cold water for me. Just search Al Qudra Cycle Track - Car Park in google maps. I think a number of organized rides meet there.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Dubai [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I picked up a Co2 cartridge at the bike store at the track since I didn't fly with one. There are bathrooms there, just might be a different experience if you're not just peeing :). I stopped back after my loop, for a bite to eat and a cool drink at the place next door to the bike shop before the 10 miles back to the pick up spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Dubai [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it seems like one of the best places to ride is Al Qudra cycling track, I was trying to find a solution that did not require taking a cab or anything out to the place.

I might give it a try tomorrow by bike and if I see it is terrible I’ll just go there by cab!

Thanks for the tips, really helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Al Qudra is the way to go. There is a trek bike store at the end of the stick if you want to rent a bike. Another option is Meydan bike track but it’s quite short and I could personally not do more than 4 loops of 9k track in the city.

I would NoT go bike in traffic. It’s craziest place I’ve driven a car and I have lived in crazy places in four continents. Unless you want to get hurt or killed. Too many good people have died riding in the roads in Dubai
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are Jumeirah, you can ride to the 8km Nad Al Sheba cycling track .

Here are the coordinates:

25.149318207744432, 55.30967254260838

It is easier to get to than Al Qudra if your hotel is in Jumeirah

Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Dubai [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also in terms of cycling on "normal roads" you can do it, but you are doing it at your own risk. All those taxi drivers from South Asia (where my family is orginally from 58 years ago), are crazy. In South Asia the rule of the road is the biggest vehicle wins, so the taxi drivers from there, who barely know how to get around Dubai without google maps firstly are distracted by their google maps instructions and secondly, they think because they are bigger they can cut you off.

From Jumeirah beach you can pretty well ride on bike paths all the way to the Nad Al Sheba track. Maybe you are on roadways for 100m. You need to be a bit adventurous to figure it out with sattelite view but it is doable. Google maps won't exactly give you "biking instructions".

I did a few rides from basically the area where the Burj Al Arab is to Nad Al Sheba and multi loops and back (did 90km ride a few times before Dubai 70.3 in 2020 just before the world locked down) and it is pretty nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling in Dubai [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Also in terms of cycling on "normal roads" you can do it, but you are doing it at your own risk. All those taxi drivers from South Asia (where my family is orginally from 58 years ago), are crazy. In South Asia the rule of the road is the biggest vehicle wins, so the taxi drivers from there, who barely know how to get around Dubai without google maps firstly are distracted by their google maps instructions and secondly, they think because they are bigger they can cut you off.

You can’t cycle on many normal roads in Dubai if the speed limit is over 60. The best bet, as you said, from Jumeirah Beach is to follow the blue cycle path to the canal, up the canal into Business Bay, and then over the highway to the NAS track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to go to Wolfi's bikeshop, consistently rated number 1 bike shop in the world and run by the loveliest people. They also manage dozens of rides every week, many of which are very nicely supported with lead and follow vehicles and some of which can be 100+ participants and others which are smaller.
https://wolfis.ae

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Al Qudra.

I used to drive out to Dubai from my apartment in Abu Dhabi every other weekend for a change of scenery. Don't forget to bring that second water bottle and don't let the vastness of the desert intimidate you! It may not always feel like it, but it's a closed loop and you'll eventually get back to your vehicle.

Most days I used to ride right out from my apartment complex in Al Reef and ride to Saadiyat Island via E12. The highways/expressways were built well from the get-go and always felt safe to me. I think the shoulders must've been 12-15 feet wide.

Enjoy your stay and have fun!
Quote Reply