Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycle Ops Power Beam Pro Questions
Quote | Reply
Two questions on the Power Beam Pro:
1) If I am buying one, what is the advantages/disadvantes to boying either the Ant+ or Bluetooth Version?
2) How do I control the power if I am not using a program (i.e. Trainer Road, etc...)
Quote Reply
Re: Cycle Ops Power Beam Pro Questions [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't help you with the first one, though I would suggest using whatever profile matches your other sensors/watch so that they can all talk to each other.

You can use a bike computer with a training mode to control the trainer. I use a Joule GPS+ to control it manually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ant+ version

You can control it with an ant+ stick and the virtual training software.

Or you can control it with an ant+ phone running the virtual training app.

I assume that the bluetooth version allows you to use the app on a phone that doesn't have ant+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the ant+ version with joule gps bought for $815 using a 20% discount from discount tri supply. I bought it because I had all these ant+ sensors (and lack of foresight). But I love it really. Love saris customer service (up there with polar), joule gps controls the pbp as does trainer road (via desktop and/or laptop).

With all that said if I were to do it again I would get the Bluetooth version because it would be great to have less bulky stuff around like a desktop or laptop to control the pbp, and instead have my iPhone control it via trainer road. With ant+ even if you buy the adapter and wahoo thing for your iPhone, trainer road will not control the pbp, it will only treat it as a power meter and you control the power. It may or may not be a big deal for you but I am spoiled by the trainer controlling the power.

But it's up at the top as the best investment I've made in this hobby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the PBP ant+ and have benefited greatly from it as a training tool. As far as ant+ vs. BT, Miken is right in that BT frees you from the plethora of ant+ dongles needed; depending on what devices and software you want to use. W/ no software, my understanding is that you need the Joule unit to control power/resistance. My opinion - Joule not needed. Use CVT, Trainerroad, Zwift, etc. to get real training benefit.

CVT, Trainerroad (in slope mode), and Zwift all control the PBP power/resistance so workouts, video routes, etc. are all very interactive. If you choose the BT version, just make sure whatever software you settle on supports BT.

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad is not compatible with Bluetooth fyi.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After struggling trying to pair Bluetooth to my joule and virtual training software for a week, I contacted saris and found out that my power tap joule was not bluetooth compatible and the windows program on my laptop needed to have come preloaded. I'm not a techie (or i would have known this before purchasing), so I may have this a little wrong, but....end result after explaining my consternation to an extremely polite and helpful rep...... A new ant resistance unit delivered within days at no added cost, up and running with no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I bought a PowerBeam Pro that came with an Ant+ dongle, Ant+ HR strap, and Joule GPS. I got it hooked up to Zwift in about an hour and had an FTP test done in two.

I was worried about the Ant+ transmission distance, but I have it working fine. I plugged a 4' USB extension cable into the dongle and taped it out of sight under my computer desk nearest the bike. It seems to work perfectly and I couldn't be happier with the system.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Nov 28, 15 18:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a PBP for almost two years.

1.) Get the Ant+ version as the BT version has less support. For example, TrainerRoad wont work with BT from what I hear
2.) There's lots of apps out there that can control your PBP such as TrainerRoad, PerfPro, and Zwift.. or you can just get the Joule module that Cylceops makes.

Check out this list of trainer apps from last year: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...r-trainer-depth.html
Quote Reply
Post deleted by WIAlan [ In reply to ]