Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question
Quote | Reply
So what do you focus on to ensure proper balance in the water during freestyle?

Also, I notice I get a ton of gas when swimming, anyone else have this issue? How did you fix it? If I let er rip during a swim set will I end up in the "strange denizen" thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let it rip. The subsequent air bubble you create will get held up in your speedo adding extra buoyancy. This will in turn help your balance problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice!

on word will describe tomorrow's swim "Freedooooom"
Quote Reply
Re: Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to feel air on my lower back, and heels at the surface. If I can feel those 2 things, then I know my legs aren't sinking.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, I was thinking that if I had a GoPro Hero4 Session camera, I could create some pretty cool videos to help you visualise what you could focus on...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is your clue to good swimming form then why in the world do you need a GoPro Hero4 camera??
Quote Reply
Re: Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's only part of it, my friend, only part of it. Once Dan (in his glorious and wonderful generosity) sends the GoPro Hero4 Session camera my way, I can make a series of very informative videos, detailing everything that a swimmer needs to know.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had a GoPro Hero4 I could demonstrate what not to do then you would have a good example to help correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need. My very awesome dog will help with that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I relieve the build up of pressure I often feel a ton of air on my lower back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's methane. Not air.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet your dog has better balance....my lab does.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
So what do you focus on to ensure proper balance in the water during freestyle?

1. Your awareness bubble.
2. The pace clock

Also, you can practice the "Superman Float", but you dont need nearly that much skill to elevate the legs while actually swimming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=equ7bhFBClk
Quote Reply
Re: Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate to ask, but what is my awareness bubble?
Quote Reply
Re: Cues to focus on to ensure proper body position during freestyle, and a personal question [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Your awareness bubble.

Is that what the bubble of methane in his speedo is called?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
I hate to ask, but what is my awareness bubble?

we were just talking about it. All good swimmers have one. Now you know.....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about that...All I know is that I have a cool new user name!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That helped, LOL. You have a link to where you were just talking about it? Was it in the LR?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link to discussion of the awareness bubble.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5746963#5746963

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my text "Most drilling activities, at their core, serve to augment ones awareness of their physical movements and the spatial relationship between body parts – but there also exists a range of activities that specifically target awareness. Two basic examples are the “head touch” or “finger-tip drag” drills. It is essential, however, to utilize a wide range of drills (including awareness-specific ones) to continue to provide new stimulus to the system. I believe that repetition of a small, static set of activities becomes ineffective for awareness development after only a short period of time (maybe after just 3-4 weeks)."

So think of it this way... right now you are aware of certain things. Probably not much. What you are aware of is contained in your awareness bubble. Most of the times this starts out small. However, simply paying attention to your awareness bubble will expand it and make it grow. You will become aware of more things. This works very well in swimming. For instance the questions such as

"Hey did you know you were doing [insert whatever here] when you swim?"
"No"
"Ok, do another 25 and try to pay attention to that"
"Ok."
*swims*
"Did you notice this tme?"
"Yes!"
*awareness bubble expanded*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well played.

Tomorrow I will focus on my lower back and heels feeing air.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's like that bubble in a level. you want it to be centred in your speedo.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

I can admit that my awareness bubble was very small prior to starting the Masters swim. In just a few sessions I have expanded it, but it is small. When I read about timing my kick with my catch etc. I realize I have no clue what I am doing in this manner.

So far my "lack of awareness bubble" has grown at a quicker rate than my "Awareness bubble".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's primarily during fast stuff.

If you learn one thing, it should be maintaining as streamlined a position as possible. You don't want to fight the water. The water is bigger than you, and doesn't get tired.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So swam this morning in 2nd Masters session of the week. It was a ton of focus on technique, and a long kick set. Main set was brutal though!.

Anyway I focused on the air on my heels and back. I liked that, and was able to feel it. The thing the coach picked up was that my recovery has improved since starting but I still have hand entry too close to center, 12:00 o'clock entry, which he said makes it hard to rotate around that shoulder, so I was left to focus on a 11:00 and 1:00 entry during the cool down. This felt a little unnatural at first but soon it should be habit.

Best of all, I really feel like the swimming is getting easier.
Quote Reply

Prev Next