Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critique my bike position
Quote | Reply
The thing is that I am pretty comfortable like this and tried to lower myself down but became really uncomfortable. it was suggested to me to bring the aerobar closer to my body by switching brans and buying a profile instead of these syntace. what do you gys think about that?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike position [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish the shot included the whole bike so we could see how you sit relative to the bike underneath you. That being said, the one thing that pops out to me is that you look pretty stretched out in the front. Seems like it's more your hands and your triceps holding you into position rather than your skeleton naturally resting on your arm pads.

If you want to bring your bars closer to your body, you shouldn't have to change your whole cockpit out? Just your stem should suffice.

Just my $0.02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

It is a bit tough to tell without a bit more photo information, and it would help to further clarify things to answer some of the following questions.

1. How long have you been riding this bike this way?

2. How long have you been doing tri's?

3. What distance tris are your focus?

4. Are you fast? moderately fast? average? A 5:30 IM bikesplit has some different issues than a 7:00 IM bike split.

All that said: I would remove the riser from you syntace clip-ons. Keep the aero extensions at their current angle. Shorten stem length 2 cm and lower the ht of the base bar 1cm (before altering current setup, measure dist. from ground to top of basebar at edge of stem clamp, when reassembling, configure base bar 1 cm closer to ground.)

Relax your neck and lower your chin. Use your eyes to lokk up, not the neck.

Have fun

Tom Price
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to tell with the number floating around..but the curve in your back and hip angle need a bit of adjustment (rotated forward)

Otherwise, as others have mentioned...quite stretched out. Bring the upper arms in-line with the headtube/fork angle.

Seemed to work for you in AZ, but admire you for taking the next step towards your Kona victory ride.....

Didn't SAC give you any freebie advise for allowing him to shack up at your place? I need to give him some manners!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike position [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomP-

she's going to Kona... : )

Hey M-..you look fine.!

Whats important is that you feel comfortable, plus it looks like you can still move up to the nose of your saddle a bit more from the picture anyway.
If anything get a shorter stem just to see the diff for yourself.

congrats on your IMAZ performance.

f i s h

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hell, I just like seeing pictures of women wearing tri gear!

and you look happy, too!

(bring your arms in, like everyone else said)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from where your elbows are with respect to the head tube of the bike, I guess your bike is probably too long for you. Are you riding 650? can't remember...if you don't, you should consider doing so considering your size.
Indeed, get lower, and get these elbows closer to your body, more at 90 degrees..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ummm., you look great.oh, your position, yah, well , looks uncomfortable to me:-)

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know, but this is going into the Hottie Thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NICE LEGS,

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"from where your elbows are with respect to the head tube of the bike, I guess your bike is probably too long for you."

Francois hit the nail on the head. I still have my hacksaw if you want me to shorten that top tube for you. How was tosrv?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
water bottle matches bike. that's cool.

Quote | Reply
The reason you're comfortable like this BUT NOT comfortable going lower is that your weight is centered on your butt. If you go lower you'll place more weight on your upper body...and with those shoulder and elbow angles...your arm muscles are going to do most of the supporting then. This seems to be a typical female position...comfortable...but not nearly optimal. Seems to me there is A LOT of room for improvement here...but it will probably start with a different frame...I think that Trident is a 76deg bike, no? You need to be on a 78 degree bike...rotating your position forward, thus giving the space to bring those bars down and closer to you to achieve ~90deg shoulder/body angle.

But hey...your looking much better than the dude next to you!
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike position [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this help?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike position [TomP_imc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

It is a bit tough to tell without a bit more photo information, and it would help to further clarify things to answer some of the following questions.

1. How long have you been riding this bike this way?

2. How long have you been doing tri's?

3. What distance tris are your focus?

4. Are you fast? moderately fast? average? A 5:30 IM bikesplit has some different issues than a 7:00 IM bike split.

All that said: I would remove the riser from you syntace clip-ons. Keep the aero extensions at their current angle. Shorten stem length 2 cm and lower the ht of the base bar 1cm (before altering current setup, measure dist. from ground to top of basebar at edge of stem clamp, when reassembling, configure base bar 1 cm closer to ground.)

Relax your neck and lower your chin. Use your eyes to lokk up, not the neck.

Have fun

Tom Price

1- I have been riding this bike like this for a while, had some adjustments done in november.

2- I have been doing tri's since 94 on/off

3- IM is my focus with a 6:00 bike split (would like 5:45)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike position [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hard to tell with the number floating around..but the curve in your back and hip angle need a bit of adjustment (rotated forward)

Otherwise, as others have mentioned...quite stretched out. Bring the upper arms in-line with the headtube/fork angle.

Seemed to work for you in AZ, but admire you for taking the next step towards your Kona victory ride.....

Didn't SAC give you any freebie advise for allowing him to shack up at your place? I need to give him some manners!!!!
LOLOLOLOL... let's just say that she is extremely resistant to change ;-)

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike position [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok.. this is my bike position after lowering me down quite a bit. I agree that it looks better but I am SOOOOOO uncomfortable... I am willing to change things but not willing to hurt when I am riding. I want suggestions based on my info.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike position [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TOSRV was awesome for the most part. I agree with guys about the top tube but I am NOT buying a new bike this year:-) Maybe next year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The quick answer is you qualified for Kona, so the position is working and you might just want to stick with it.

If you want to treak, you can go lower by sliding the seat forward and dropping the bars at least a spacer. If you swap to Profile Carbon Strykes or something like that, your bars will be immediatly 1 inch lower than the insanely high stack height induced by Syntace bars. I never figured out the point of aero bars that shove you heigher by an inch !
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my bike position [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My last picture posted is exctly that. Seat moved forward and spacer moved down. Results: upper back very uncomfortable. Do you think I can get a profile set and add a spacer then to bring it back like it is now but be more at 90 degrees?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, I'll throw my towel in the ring...

Saddle height:maybe a touch high, hard to tell with angle of pic, but heel looks raised, could be you can't quite reach bottom dead centre comfortably.

Hips: I'd like to see you rotated further forward, can you slide your saddle any more forward on the rails? Maybe a FF seatpost? But then we may run into COG issues. You are definitely stretched out too much, which is why you are not comfy lower. I'm not sure a shorter stem will do the trick, your stem already looks like a 90 to me, going two cm shorter would really kill your front/centre and the steering stability. If you stick with that bike, you are going to need an aerobar set up that allow for a more rearward arm pad placement. Finally, from the front, your elbows are pretty wide, you aren't really punching that small a hole in the wind with that set up. You could probably get a smaller drag on a good fitting road bike.

I have to agree, I think the frame is a touch too big for you. Best solution would be new, smaller frame so that COG isn't compromised. Simpler fix is to rotate hips forward, bring arm rests back.

Love the hardwood colour!

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those suggestion you made she already tried them and she was more unconfortable. The thing is that she is so stretched out in front that it only works if she's really high up like in the first pic. As soon as you start lowering the front, it starts to be unconfortable. I know what changes should be made, I just don't think it's wise to do them until Hawaii.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a positioning expert, but here's what I can see:

1. You seem to be a bit too far extended and too high up in the front.

2. Get rid of the number flapping around in the wind. Pin number to a tight fitting top( see below)

3. Water bottles are sticking up into the airstream - go with frame mounted cages or rear mounts that are mounted lower. You have an aweful lot of stuff mounted up high on the frame/bike. This comprimises the handling of the bike.

4. Loose Bento box or whatever they call those things it's creating drag and comprimising handing( see #3). Where to put the stuff? - get a tight fitting tri/cycling jersey that has rear pockets. This will serve two purposes - you will be able to carry stuff AND have more skin coverage which will reduce the negative effects sun exposure and dehydration.

Fleck

P.S. It could be worse - your "friend" riding beside you seems to be set up even worse and all I can see is his arms and handle bars.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
{The quick answer is you qualified for Kona, so the position is working and you might just want to stick with it.} reply

dev, i disagree with your quick answer. yes, she's going to kona but her bike split doesn't seem near her potential. truth is i don't know what it was in az but if she's hoping/planning on a 6hr kona split, it seems like she has a lot of room to get faster. a better position seems like a good start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can you try to push your seat all the way forward (and raise it a bit then) to compensate for the too long top tube?
Quote Reply

Prev Next