Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crashing while running
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any experience with a steep increase in HR nd extreme fatigue after 4-6 miles of running? I started have this issue last year while building for IMLP. After 4-6 miles my HR would go from a mid Z1 to Z2 and then Z3 if I kept the same pace. From a perceived effort, it's hard to even maintain a Z2 level effort consistently without stopping. Pace wise, I have to run extermely slow and even then I have to stop as my legs feel like bricks. I end up sweating really heavy or at least for me I do. Afterwards, I'm a wreck, worse than if I had done a race.

It's been happening off and on since April 2013. Last year I chalked it up to stress as I had a lot going on outside of training for IMLP and I still had a decent performance once i got to the IM. That being said, I don't think I had a good run leading into the race. This was the first time I had this issue.

I'm not going out to fast, that I know. I thought maybe I was going into the run dehydrated but yesterday I had Water - 6-8 X 16.9 ounces of water and one NUUN tablet.
3 X 8 ounces of coffee. On the 1:15, medium intensity bike - 2 X 24 ounces water, one with NUUN tablet. I also had 2.5 glasses of red wine with dinner.

So what gives? I'm also wondering if I'm not recovering from the previous runs and I'm caught in a downward spiral. I'm running 3 times a week, around 20-25 miles and a total of 10.5 hours of training a week, so nothing to extreme.

It's happened every run for the last 2-3 weeks. Also, I live in Florida where it's pretty hot. 41 year old male.
Quote Reply
Re: Crashing while running [tom1376] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You sure you can't correlate it to hot and humid conditions? You say it started last April, so definitely when it starts getting hotter... I'm in Texas so it's hot and humid here as well, and this year I've been particularly surprised at just how much hot and humid conditions wrecks me on long runs. I don't really train by HR, but I know I can't really do anything in Z1 or Z2 during summer. And I know it's only one instance, but 2.5 glasses of wine the night before a hot and humid run would definitely hurt me, no matter how much water I tried to drink.
Quote Reply
Re: Crashing while running [hullcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do think there is a correlation between both the wine and the hot and humid conditions. I don't think the wine would wreck me this bad however. I'll forgoe the wine next time, you may be right. Up until last year I did IM Louisville in 2011 and IMLP in 2012 - I never had these issues. I literally cannot run more than 13 miles. I did 15 miles in Cape Cod a month ago and felt like I was going to die at the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to sound like a cliche, but I'd suggest you see your doctor to discuss your symptoms and get a good checkout. Need to make sure that there aren't any underlying issues.

I'm also in FL. I run four times a week, but in the early morning to avoid the mid-day or afternoon heat as much as possible. I switched from HR training to RPE a couple of years ago because of the spikes I would see in my HR in the heat. On hot days I couldn't stay in Z2 without walking.

FWIW, I also have a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner most evenings.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Crashing while running [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's my next step - see the doctor. If it had always been this way I wouldn't be concerned, but it just started happening. As for RPE - I'll feel fine and then within 10 minutes after 4-6 miles, it starts hitting me like a ton of bricks. Thanks for the response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tom1376 wrote:

I'm not going out to fast, that I know. I thought maybe I was going into the run dehydrated but yesterday I had Water - 6-8 X 16.9 ounces of water and one NUUN tablet.
3 X 8 ounces of coffee. On the 1:15, medium intensity bike - 2 X 24 ounces water, one with NUUN tablet. I also had 2.5 glasses of red wine with dinner.

So what gives? I'm also wondering if I'm not recovering from the previous runs and I'm caught in a downward spiral. I'm running 3 times a week, around 20-25 miles and a total of 10.5 hours of training a week, so nothing to extreme.

It's happened every run for the last 2-3 weeks. Also, I live in Florida where it's pretty hot. 41 year old male.

What are you eating in this period? Any surface numbness of skin on legs hands, face, lips? Just wondering if that's too much water and not enough salt to go with it.

It's been Florida hot & humid here lately... maybe more humid... and my HR rises a bit, maybe 10bpm high, but no more... but my overall RPE and general suffering goes with it. As I've adapted in a few days, HR is closer to normal and only my pace is a little slower at the same RPE.

2x24oz of water is a LTO for a 75min bike. 1x24 should be enough, maybe 30oz if int's morning and RH is high or there's lots of climbing (not likely in Florida). Heck you could carry no water and not see a significant drop in performance for 75 minutes, even if your sweating a lot.

I'm not nessesarily saying eat more salt, I'm actually saying maybe drink a little less water.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Crashing while running [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm - you may be onto something. I did have some surface numbness last weekend but not this am. I did get faint this am towards the end and had to walk. I had a Skratch drink before going out and two Gus while out. I do my bike workouts on the trainer - figured the NUUN tablets would do the trick. Problem is that it's almost a total shutdown where I have to walk/run back. I'm not sure if a lack of electrolytes would cause that much harm. I'm going to try taking in more thoughout the day and see what happens.

For what it's worth - I've been doing triathlons for app. 7 years. I'm not fast but not slow either - I've run a 37 minute 10k and 1:26 half marathon and some HIMs in the 4:30s high 4:20s (albiet on a fast course). So I feel like I know my body pretty well for the most part, but this is totally baffling.
Quote Reply