Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Crash when racing - Helmets rule
Quote | Reply
Racing in Bintan, SE Asia when yesterday someone walked out in front of me at the end of the bike. I couldn't go anywhere but into them and at 45kph I learnt how to fly but hadn't checked the hand book on landings and instead of opting for my feet I used my head and then my back via scorpion move. To cut a long story short after a number of hours on a spine board and not knowing if I'd fractured my back I was released but this morning I'm very sore and obviously still suffer spasms and pain.

I just wanted to remind people that helmets are really useful, if it wasn't for my Giro Selector (not sponsored but bloody thankful!) right now I would either have fractured skull, a broken neck or a broken back. Lucky I appear to only be suffering from muscle damage.

Be safe.
Last edited by: iron snorks: May 30, 16 2:35
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1. My Bell Javelin protected me from a major head injury in a hard crash last year. Glad to hear you're ok and hope you heal up quickly!

doctorironman.blogspot.com |
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [doc.blews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to burst your bubble NBbut I doubt your helmet stopped a broken back or neck. It also does nothing or little to stop concussions.

But yes it likely stopped a fractured skull which is still a very good outcome :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron snorks wrote:
... someone walked out in front of me at the end of the bike. I couldn't go anywhere but into them and at 45kph .

Be safe.

Glad you're okay. How's that guy doing? Imagine what a 30mph bike and helmeted rocket ship would feel like.

"If everything seems in control, you aren't going fast enough" -- Mario Andretti
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Laid down my bike this morning. Had already kicked my leg over the bike to dismount when there was a slight turn to the dismount line. I had my eyes on the line and not the mud/algae spot that had built up on the outside of the turn. Head hit the concrete hard. Slight headache, but luckily nothing more. Road rash made for a tough run, but without a doubt I'd have had a concussion or serious head injury if it wasn't for my Giro Advantage. Even going ~10mph you can still find ways to get up close and personal with the road. Now I just need to determine what helmet I want next.
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
, but without a doubt I'd have had a concussion or serious head injury if it wasn't for my Giro Advantage. Even going ~10mph you can still find ways to get up close and personal with the road. Now I just need to determine what helmet I want next.

You are overestimating concussion protection of helmets. Google the topic. Your helmet has likely little to nill concussion protection. Takes a different helmet design to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont think any helmets really prevent cuncussions . That is until they come up with one that goes between your brain and scull.
Glad to here your ok though. Def prevented a fracture and at that speed for sure saved you from some cranial road rash too!
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
Dont think any helmets really prevent cuncussions . That is until they come up with one that goes between your brain and scull.
Glad to here your ok though. Def prevented a fracture and at that speed for sure saved you from some cranial road rash too!

Yeah, they sure do. The speed your brain impacts your skull is roughly the same as your skull hits the ground. If the helmet slows that, it slows your brain, too. Thing is, nobody worries about the risk of concussion when the skull loosens up for it after a fracture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on wearing helmets.

I crashed while wearing a helmet about 16 years ago. I still managed to break my skull tho. I still raced IM a week later (I'm blonde, and not that smart, and yes, the headaches on the run were agonizing!)

Since then I buy the best possible helmets I can find. I have crashed twice since then (thanks to inattentive motorists) and broken helmets both times. One time I was knocked out in spite of the helmet. The helmet didn't save my 4 ribs however.

I hate to think where I'd be now (triathlon heaven?) without helmets.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [VGT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VGT wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

Yeah, they sure do. The speed your brain impacts your skull is roughly the same as your skull hits the ground. If the helmet slows that, it slows your brain, too. Thing is, nobody worries about the risk of concussion when the skull loosens up for it after a fracture.

Normal bike helmets do not slow the speed your brain hits the ground to a noticeable degree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
Normal bike helmets do not slow the speed your brain hits the ground to a noticeable degree.

Please define "noticeable". Pretty sure that:

a) this is not the correct technical term
b) you have never hit your head with and without a helmet on.

The anti-helmet Zealots are out again.... picking and choosing...
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
copperman wrote:

Not anti helmet. I am pro making helmets better. Right now they don't do near as much good as people assume. Public awareness is very important.

Please see

http://www.bicycling.com/.../precious-protection

http://www.cbc.ca/...ntists-say-1.1367454

I will shout from rooftops if I can get better helmets out there.

Concussions are really bad and really common and cumulative. Your kids shouldn't play tackle football or box. And we need better helmets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am wearing a MIPS helmet since last year....best available technology right now.

And absolutely YES, agreed, much better can be done.

Thanks for the clarification.

copperman wrote:
windschatten wrote:
copperman wrote:

Not anti helmet. I am pro making helmets better. Right now they don't do near as much good as people assume. Public awareness is very important.

Please see

http://www.bicycling.com/.../precious-protection

http://www.cbc.ca/...ntists-say-1.1367454

I will shout from rooftops if I can get better helmets out there.

Concussions are really bad and really common and cumulative. Your kids shouldn't play tackle football or box. And we need better helmets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
Sorry to burst your bubble NBbut I doubt your helmet stopped a broken back or neck. It also does nothing or little to stop concussions.

But yes it likely stopped a fractured skull which is still a very good outcome :)

Helmets offer protection against certain types of head injuries.
i collided with another biker earlier this year, flew off my bike while spinning, landed on my back. (Wearing a small backpack)
The back of my head bounced off the hard asphalt, and the back of my helmet crumbled.
If I'd been bareheaded, for sure it would have resulted in a severe concussion, instead, I got up and cussed the other biker for not shoulder checking and rode off to work.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [etapaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was fine as I hit his bike. He went one to race in the afternoon (which I was meant to be doing too) and placed 5th overall with a second fastest bike time so his bike wasn't too badly damaged either (or he used someone else's).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you are ok!

But I have to laugh at the title, are there really folks that would consider racing without one?? I mean toodling to the beach is a potential judgment call

I had a crash last year, helmet was untouched it appeared so but had a nice lump on the side of my head

I'm sure you're doing it but even if it appears I damaged make sure you replace it. Again, glad it turned out ok
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Saved my melon three times now, one a very slow corner on a wet asphalt path. My head hit the ground hard despite the slow speed. I can't believe the number of people that still ride without a helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
VGT wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

Source? Or is this bro science?

See all that foam underneath the plastic shell of a helmet? That's a crumple zone so to speak. Instead of your head experiencing a brief deceleration at let's say 50g over a small distance, the foam takes the impact and gradually absorbs the energy so the head sees a longer slower deceleration of let's say 5g. That's the whole bloody point of a bike helmet.

Sure you can land weird and still hit your head but it is far more likely that the helmet will do its job than not.

I too crashed, last year. There was a big dent in the plastic shell on the side of the helmet and the foam cracked. My head was completely fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife crashed in a local sprint tri. Some guy going passed her clipped her handle bars and she went over the front of the bike. Destroyed her helmet, I'd hate to think what the outcome would of been without it. Also it was at the top of a climb so they were going kind of slow...lucky.

I hope you get better soon.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 30, 16 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
copperman wrote:
VGT wrote:
Dirt fighter wrote:

Source? Or is this bro science?

See all that foam underneath the plastic shell of a helmet? That's a crumple zone so to speak. Instead of your head experiencing a brief deceleration at let's say 50g over a small distance, the foam takes the impact and gradually absorbs the energy so the head sees a longer slower deceleration of let's say 5g. That's the whole bloody point of a bike helmet.

Sure you can land weird and still hit your head but it is far more likely that the helmet will do its job than not.

I too crashed, last year. There was a big dent in the plastic shell on the side of the helmet and the foam cracked. My head was completely fine.

I provided links to articles that provide scientific research. You have provided anci-data. Your anci-data is not important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was ever inclined to head butt a wall or floor for whatever reason, I would much rather do it with a piece of polystyrene separating my head from the surface ... Anyone who would argue otherwise is (in my opinion), complete bonkers ... lol

I went over he bars of my MTB years ago, did my helmet stop me seeing stars ? No. Did it split / have a big flat spot on it ? Yes. Would I have needed stitches in my head if I wasn't wearing it ? Most likely ...

The incident cost me a mavic 231, a sore knee and a three piece collarbone - I wouldn't want to try it again, especially without a helmet ...

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Instead of your head experiencing a brief deceleration at let's say 50g over a small distance, the foam takes the impact and gradually absorbs the energy so the head sees a longer slower deceleration of let's say 5g. That's the whole bloody point of a bike helmet.

It's actually several times that. One of Copperman's links leads to this quote:

"Our skulls can withstand forces up to 5,000 pounds, which roughly equals 500 times gravity (500 Gs). Today's helmet standards can still be traced to this study, and all motorcycle and bicycle helmets—both mountain and road—sold in the U.S. must meet minimum, government-mandated G-force requirements. Over time, further study has reduced the BSI's 500 G figure toward a fairly consistent requirement of about 300 G, no matter the sport or standard."

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet helmeted cyclists, snowboarders, etc. are still dying from head injuries.

According to the study listed below, a peak linear acceleration of 250-300g will result in a "critical injury" and a >50% probability of fatality. Helmets meeting today's safety standards are not all they're cracked up to be (pun intended).

http://cyclehelmets.org/1182.html

"Best way to avoid punch, Daniel-san, is not be there when it arrive." - The Karate Kid

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Last edited by: Cycling nation: May 30, 16 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling nation wrote:
And yet helmeted cyclists, snowboarders, etc. are still dying from head injuries.

According to the study listed below, a peak linear acceleration of 250-300g will result in a "critical injury" and a >50% probability of fatality. Helmets meeting today's safety standards are not all they're cracked up to be (pun intended).

"Best way to avoid punch, Daniel-san, is not be there when it arrive." - The Karate Kid

It's not a God mode cheat code, it's a f'n bike helmet.

You can still die from being shot while wearing a bulletproof vest too.
Or in an accident in a car with seatbelts and airbags and crumple zones.

I'll wear my helmet, and hope for the best.
And I know from multiple personal experiences how much better off I am with it - even if I'm not magically impervious.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Crash when racing - Helmets rule [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling nation wrote:

It isn't 100% effective therefore we should not use it?

Why don't you leave your house and car doors wide open? They don't work they can be unlocked/kicked in. So why bother?

That's the same faulty argument.
Quote Reply

Prev Next