Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles.
Quote | Reply
Due to our opulence, bikes are becoming more and more custom AFTER the purchase.

High end bike don't come with pedals. We expect to change the seat out. Probably the wheels and tires too.

Seems like cranks could be moving into that space too.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Due to our opulence, bikes are becoming more and more custom AFTER the purchase.

High end bike don't come with pedals. We expect to change the seat out. Probably the wheels and tires too.

While pedals largely come down to personal preference, and we really have no idea what saddle a rider will choose, we (those who pay attention) have a very good idea of the narrow crank length range where most riders will settle. For those reasons, as well as simple logistics, cranks are not in the same category as seat/wheels/pedals in terms of likely or necessary factory customizations.

It WOULD be great to see manufacturers simply chop 1cm off all crank lengths on tri bikes sizes, compared to their road counterparts. That would get the vast majority into their optimal range.
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:

I think the whole crank length thing has been blown out of proportion by one person's need for attention. Crank length should definitely be considered in an optimal balance of comfort, power production and aero but there are so many things that are being glossed over in the quest to make a big show out of nothing. Rather than get a basic fit right, with proper pelvic tilt, setback, drop, reach....and then tweak with crank length it's become a big show. Simple things that can be resolved through proper gearing got lumped under the crank length title have resulted in almost 20,000 views. That's OK, some good info from some smart people has been shared and I am sure some readers are benefiting from it. I hope people can separate the 1% good, 99% BS.

As for swapping in and out components, this is what framesets are for. I consider a frameset built bike like a tailored suit vs the "off the rack". People here are connaisseurs or wannabe connaisseurs but I think STers are the exception. Average Joe doesn't even have his seat height right. Does he really care about +/-5mm on his cranks ?

Also, as important that a few mm on cranks, consumers should be considering power meter integration on their cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
IT wrote:
It WOULD be great to see manufacturers simply chop 1cm off all crank lengths on tri bikes sizes, compared to their road counterparts. That would get the vast majority into their optimal range.

In your opinion, on average, would this result in more drop or more pad stack (with higher seat) but more open hip angle ?
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:
IT wrote:

In your opinion, on average, would this result in more drop or more pad stack (with higher seat) but more open hip angle ?

It would allow more riders to achieve the F.I.S.T. designated 100° of major hip angle, without the thigh to torso 'minor hip angle' getting in the way. So either more drop at the same hip angle, or the same drop at a more open hip angle, depending on where they start.

A secondary effect is that most riders would subjectively prefer the shorter lengths, whether they could articulate why or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Already an option on Trek Project One, along with gear ratios, and other things on the dealer system.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Average Joe doesn't even have his seat height right. Does he really care about +/-5mm on his cranks ?

Great point.

As is typical with this crowd, a string tendency to fiddle and fart around with the 5%, while ignoring the 95% of the basic stuff.

I agree with you on crank length - this whole discussion has actually been going on for a few years. If you have no problems, there is no need to switch cranks. Although, having said that, generally speaking I would say many triathletes, would do better on shorter cranks and when I say "better" I'm first talking about fit here and nothing else!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
IT wrote:

I think the whole crank length thing has been blown out of proportion by one person's need for attention. Crank length should definitely be considered in an optimal balance of comfort, power production and aero but there are so many things that are being glossed over in the quest to make a big show out of nothing. Rather than get a basic fit right, with proper pelvic tilt, setback, drop, reach....and then tweak with crank length it's become a big show. Simple things that can be resolved through proper gearing got lumped under the crank length title have resulted in almost 20,000 views. That's OK, some good info from some smart people has been shared and I am sure some readers are benefiting from it. I hope people can separate the 1% good, 99% BS.

As for swapping in and out components, this is what framesets are for. I consider a frameset built bike like a tailored suit vs the "off the rack". People here are connaisseurs or wannabe connaisseurs but I think STers are the exception. Average Joe doesn't even have his seat height right. Does he really care about +/-5mm on his cranks ?

Also, as important that a few mm on cranks, consumers should be considering power meter integration on their cranks.

The crank length discussion is happening in several cycling forums. Pretty much like it is over here.

This is an area where there doesn't seem to be a consensus; yet, people find a preference once they start exploring.

Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
Already an option on Trek Project One, along with gear ratios, and other things on the dealer system.

Cool. Good heads up.

Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Average Joe doesn't even have his seat height right. Does he really care about +/-5mm on his cranks ?

Great point.

As is typical with this crowd, a string tendency to fiddle and fart around with the 5%, while ignoring the 95% of the basic stuff.

I agree with you on crank length - this whole discussion has actually been going on for a few years. If you have no problems, there is no need to switch cranks. Although, having said that, generally speaking I would say many triathletes, would do better on shorter cranks and when I say "better" I'm first talking about fit here and nothing else!

Seems like the discussion has been going on over in the cycling world for a while. There is no consensus there either on their forums. People seem like what they like though when it comes to cranks or say why bother.

With an aging population feeling it in the hip flexors, shorter cranks could help their bike fit whether that be road or tri. If fiddling with this 5% leads to exploring a bike fit, then it will be well worth it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Great point.

Seems like the discussion has been going on over in the cycling world for a while. There is no consensus there either on their forums. People seem like what they like though when it comes to cranks or say why bother.

With an aging population feeling it in the hip flexors, shorter cranks could help their bike fit whether that be road or tri. If fiddling with this 5% leads to exploring a bike fit, then it will be well worth it.

Great point. For us older folks, we are trying to find a fit that works now, rather than a fit that works for a person that is lets say 30.
The last thing I am worried about is am I leaning over enough, is my back flat. I just want to be able to get off the bike and be able to run. If shorter cranks
allows this and lets me race longer, who cares what my time or power is. At my age, the trick is to just get to the start line, and finish line. Not enough
folks that can do that to even worry about how fast one is. :(

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Great point. For us older folks, we are trying to find a fit that works now, rather than a fit that works for a person that is lets say 30.
The last thing I am worried about is am I leaning over enough, is my back flat. I just want to be able to get off the bike and be able to run. If shorter cranks
allows this and lets me race longer, who cares what my time or power is. At my age, the trick is to just get to the start line, and finish line. Not enough

I am racing 56 this year. I am on the heavier side and I know my ability to generate power isn't going to go up. I am not 30 years old with the flexibility of gumbie.

So I have to be smarter to compensate for aging and slowing down.

In your other thread you say you don't care about aero. I probably need 40 watts less to go the same speed as you. As your FTP decreases with age, those watt savings make a difference.

My strength (relative) is the run so anything I can do to set up a good run is gold for me.

crank length is/was part of the journey to get a more efficient position but overall fit and measurement of cost/benefit of positions was more important
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I am racing 56 this year. I am on the heavier side and I know my ability to generate power isn't going to go up. I am not 30 years old with the flexibility of gumbie.

So I have to be smarter to compensate for aging and slowing down.

In your other thread you say you don't care about aero. I probably need 40 watts less to go the same speed as you. As your FTP decreases with age, those watt savings make a difference.

My strength (relative) is the run so anything I can do to set up a good run is gold for me.

crank length is/was part of the journey to get a more efficient position but overall fit and measurement of cost/benefit of positions was more important

Some just takes words too strong at face value! Or course I care about aero. Do I care and want to be judged about a flat back? Nope!

Just wait, 56 is still young! I started to feel the change around 59. I really felt it at 60, and now going into 61. It does not get any better, and the decline is not linear. :(

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
This is an area where there doesn't seem to be a consensus; yet, people find a preference once they start exploring.

Perhaps because people keep believing hip angle is the driver of crank length.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
IT wrote:

we're about to start talking apples and oranges, or Newtonian vs. Quantum physics

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
IT wrote:

What, in your opinion, is the driver of crank length then?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jim:
I'd be really interested to hear your take on crank length selection as part of your aero fitting process. Would you mind sharing? Feel free to email me if you don't want to share in public.
Cheers,
Jim

Jim@EROsports wrote:
IT wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [Bio_McGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll send you an email, Jim.

For readers of this thread, and in the interest of not taking my ball and going home, I will say, and have previously posted, I've found knee flexion is the primary driver (though hip angle plays a role). If I remember correctly it was Cyclenutz who recently posted something about it as well, and his numbers were, to the degree, spot on with what I've found. Otherwise, it's not a subject I'll post much about here...too much noise. You all have fun.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

For readers of this thread, and in the interest of not taking my ball and going home, I will say, and have previously posted, I've found knee flexion is the primary driver (though hip angle plays a role). If I remember correctly it was Cyclenutz who recently posted something about it as well, and his numbers were, to the degree, spot on with what I've found. Otherwise, it's not a subject I'll post much about here...too much noise. You all have fun.

I did not find a Cyclenutz on ST

Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
IT wrote:

we're about to start talking apples and oranges, or Newtonian vs. Quantum physics

Help me Eric. I'm missing out on the content of Jim/you.

Don't really know about the hip being THE driver, though it's probably part of it. What I do feel is an impingement at times with the hip becoming tighter and restrictive. Manageable on the bike yet a very noticeable restrictor on the run where hip movement, if they are moving freely, adds to stride length and turnover. Just like the shoulder can hold a fine swimmer back, it seems like the hips can hold back the cyclist/runner.

Thank you in advance for the additional clarification.

PS What do you think of Steve Hogg's approach to bike fitting?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two angles can cause a subjective and objective decrease in ability to produce power / pedal effectively with sub-optimally long cranks, and they are not always entirely independent:
1. Thigh - torso angle at the top of the stroke
2. Knee flexion angle at the top of the stroke

You can improve (open) the thigh torso angle by sitting up, among other things. This doesn't fix the knee flexion issue if there is one, so in that sense, they are independent.

Shortening the crank improves both of these angles, producing less knee flexion and greater thigh torso clearance, so in that sense they are not entirely independent.

While measurement of these specific angles is a valid method to derive crank length, a properly guided rider's subjective impressions will generally encompass an unconscious evaluation of these metrics, as well as other intangibles. You don't really need to measure, but IIRC, I think the angle Jim refers to was 68 degrees or more (tighter) of flexion becomes problematic.

This is tangentially related to H20fun's inability to select a crank length, because he disregards the most important data he has access to, provided by the supercomputer between his ears. A better crank length (or any other fit metric) isn't just "feeling better" simply because one doesn't possess sufficient vocabulary to explain how and why, the same way properly appllied V02 max intervals aren't black magic because you lack an ex-phys degree and an understanding of cellular biology.

Steve Hogg is a snake oil saleman.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jan 1, 18 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Post of the year so far...

Now please take a day off, l don’t want you overtraining for the next 364 days.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Cranks and crank length as personal as pedals and saddles. [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Post of the year so far...

Now please take a day off, l don’t want you overtraining for the next 364 days.

Cheers,
Maurice

Haven't trained or have done anything for the last 2 days with this terrible flu :(

Quote Reply