Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Couple IM questions - final long workout and HR vs power
Quote | Reply
I've got a couple random questions on final long bikes and runs for IM prep along with a bike heart rate pacing question. Any feedback is appreciated.

Long bike:
It's just over 4 weeks out from IM MD and trying to plan the last big workouts. Was shooting to make Saturday my last real long ride/brick at 4 weeks out.

Last 4 Saturday bricks have been: 100 mile bike/4 mile run, 80 bike /9 run, 112 bike /1.5 run, and 95 bike/7 run last Saturday. Would have liked to have made them a little longer, but got in what I could with the time I had. (Bike speed it 17-18 mph).

I have 6-7 hours on Saturday. Should I shoot for a bike distance closer to the full race distance with a shorter run, or ride like 4-5 hours (75-90 miles), then run for 2 hours?

Bike heart rate:
Trying to know what heart rate I should shoot for in the race to leave plenty for the run. I dont have a power meter but use a HRM. For those training with power, for your IM race pace goal power range, do you know what your equivalent heart rate is to be at your power goal for the race? I know there isn't a perfect correlation, but looking to a ballpark of what that would equate to, i.e. 60% 75%...to know a range of where I should be heart rate wise where I am holding back plenty for the run.

Long run:
Recent long runs have been 16, 17, 18 miles. Tried to do my final long run of 20 yesterday morning, but was having stomach issues and then had major stomach cramping to the point where I just had to keep walking at mile 11+. Never had that before. I was messing around with salt pills for the first time and took a couple without water so good chance that was part of it.

Is monday or tuesday too late to do a 20 miler? that will be just inside of 4 weeks from the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Couple IM questions - final long workout and HR vs power [the V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the V wrote:
I've got a couple random questions on final long bikes and runs for IM prep along with a bike heart rate pacing question. Any feedback is appreciated.

Long bike:
It's just over 4 weeks out from IM MD and trying to plan the last big workouts. Was shooting to make Saturday my last real long ride/brick at 4 weeks out.

Last 4 Saturday bricks have been: 100 mile bike/4 mile run, 80 bike /9 run, 112 bike /1.5 run, and 95 bike/7 run last Saturday. Would have liked to have made them a little longer, but got in what I could with the time I had. (Bike speed it 17-18 mph).

I have 6-7 hours on Saturday. Should I shoot for a bike distance closer to the full race distance with a shorter run, or ride like 4-5 hours (75-90 miles), then run for 2 hours?

Bike heart rate:
Trying to know what heart rate I should shoot for in the race to leave plenty for the run. I dont have a power meter but use a HRM. For those training with power, for your IM race pace goal power range, do you know what your equivalent heart rate is to be at your power goal for the race? I know there isn't a perfect correlation, but looking to a ballpark of what that would equate to, i.e. 60% 75%...to know a range of where I should be heart rate wise where I am holding back plenty for the run.

Long run:
Recent long runs have been 16, 17, 18 miles. Tried to do my final long run of 20 yesterday morning, but was having stomach issues and then had major stomach cramping to the point where I just had to keep walking at mile 11+. Never had that before. I was messing around with salt pills for the first time and took a couple without water so good chance that was part of it.

Is monday or tuesday too late to do a 20 miler? that will be just inside of 4 weeks from the race.

IF your short on time, do the lung bike and don't bother running after it. Bricks are a little overrated in my mind. The fitness and mental aspect of riding another 30-40 minutes longer will benefit you more. IF your training higher volume, most all your runs are bricks since you probably biked within 9-12 hours of most of your runs. MY legs when running most of the time for the first few miles feel like I'm heading out of T2.

HR - No idea. In long rides, my HR at IM target power has ranged form 115-145 depending on conditions. In 70.3's it run 15-20bpm high out of T2 and slowly settles down even when riding almost even slits in terms of power. It then slowly rises again over the course of the run to where I'm only 5-10bpm below my max HR that last 2 miles. For me, its' a nice reference and can cue me into overheating, hydration or nutrition issues to a certain extent... or that I still have some air in my stomach from the swim.

Don't mess with salt pills. Odds are you don't need them and they can cause GI issues if you don't drink enough fluids with them. Their major benefit might be fluid retention that helps reduce dehydration later in the race.

I can;t suggest if you should or shouldn't run 2 miles without knowing you run training history the last 4-6 weeks. It could be the straw that broke the camels back. It nearly was for me because I was running 20 in the middle of one of my biggest builds and it just pushed my over my limit. Also, what I gained most form running 20, that one time was the conclusion that I don't need to run over 18 miles or about 2-1/2 hours if I have good consistent run load. Better to save my legs so I can bike more/harder. Quite a few FOP AG'rs don't run over 16 miles or about 2 hours. You only have to run 26.2 once, and you'll do in starting in the afternoon after swimming and biking at least about 6 hours before. You can't really simulate that very well, so why try.

Look at it this way. If you felt pretty good after your 16 & 18 mile runs, assuming you had a descent run mileage the previous week(s), then a 20 miles won't tell you much or benefit you much 4 weeks out. It will present a risk of injury that will be hard to come back from this late in the game. Maybe instead try and spread out the mileage to hit the same weekly running load, but don't worry about it otherwise. That's my advice.

Remember rule #1 late in your training for any "A" race.... DON'T GET INJURED!. An injury can piss away a lot of the hard training you put in for months... and for what? to run and extra 15-20 minutes longer?

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Couple IM questions - final long workout and HR vs power [the V] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This weekend:
* Do a 4:00 MAX ride done as 1hr building to IM / then 3:00 done as 25min IM - 10min 70.3 - 15min IM - 10min easy to low IM
* Make this weekend your longest run ...

Next Week(end)
* Run 4-5 miles tomorrow
* DO a long ride that has you on the bike as long as you expect to be for race day (first hour easy to low IM effort) ... emphasize fueling and pacing
* Run 8k (45min max) off the bike to dial in early run pacing and see how well you executed the ride ... pace should be contained
* Long Run Sunday is whatever you have left to total 26 miles FRI + SAT + SUN

Bike HR ... the goal for you (and easier on a flat course) may be to set a ceiling you simply want to BUILD HR to across the bike. What most athletes find is an even effort to slightly building will see HR creep up across the 112m. Too many athletes will set a "target HR" and sit at that the whole ride / run and inevitably pace gradually drops across the ride

After that weekend take 2-3 VERY easy days ... then set up your final 17 days leading into the race

Good Luck!

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Avoid the urge to do more, especially the long bike/long run brick. You have put in the work, rest up and avoid injury in the next few weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, great feedback. Much appreciated.
The last thing i'd want to happen is get an injury at this point.

Guess I was thinking the long brick run would help with confidence, but suppose not necessary for these points.
Overall, haven't gotten as much training in as I would have liked, but it's my first IM and pretty happy with where I am so far and will try to just see how it goes.

On the stomach issues, didn't even think about how I did an OWS in the Schuylkill Tuesday night before my attempted Wed morning long run. Good chance I took in some delicious Philly river water that probably was part of the problem along with the salt pills.
Quote Reply