Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cost of swimming poll
Quote | Reply

Should there be an entry for $0?

My employer has a gorgeous 6x25y pool that is available to everyone. Therefore, I don't pay to use the pool. The only limitation is it's not open on the weekend. But I don't work from the office on the weekend and I wouldn't swim on the weekend so nothing lost.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of swimming poll [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't that be the less than $15 option?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:

My employer has a gorgeous 6x25y pool that is available to everyone. Therefore, I don't pay to use the pool. The only limitation is it's not open on the weekend. But I don't work from the office on the weekend and I wouldn't swim on the weekend so nothing lost.

We who pay for pool access...or pay our employer for "gym" access HATE you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm struggling with what my answer should be...

I pay $245/yr ($20 / month) for access to all city facilities which includes two indoor pools, an outdoor pool, and two different full gym (weight room, cardio, classes, etc) facilities. Sure, I could say "gym < $45. But, I could also say $16-25. Neither answer seems very "accurate".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$1200 / year for family YMCA access at multiple facilities. And the pool hours suck and the circle swim sucks. I'd quit it, but swimming at lunch is literally the only time I can swim in a pool due to work/family.

If it weren't for my Vasa erg, I'd seriously quit triathlon - I actually popped one of the erg cables last week since I used it so much over 4 years and frayed right through it, and went the pool every day during my week off - totally sucked, as I forgot how much downtime there is to get/from/into the pool. Felt like I was working out 12+hrs/week, but was only putting in 8!
Last edited by: lightheir: Dec 11, 17 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of swimming poll [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
$1200 / year for family YMCA access at multiple facilities. And the pool hours suck and the circle swim sucks. I'd quit it, but swimming at lunch is literally the only time I can swim in a pool due to work/family.

It's like you are me! Hi Me!

Half the Y's around here have 20 yard pools. Grrrrr. But hey, chlorine is chlorine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
$1200 / year for family YMCA access at multiple facilities. And the pool hours suck and the circle swim sucks.

I'm so close to being done with the Y. Only reason I have stuck it out if for my kids. Once they are done going there I'm out.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too. I swim for free since the pool is part of my HOA dues.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pay $42 a month for a gym membership but that includes masters swimming. A rare club where they include masters swim for no additional charge. There's a Lifetime nearby but they want an additional $30 a month for masters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also $0 for me because being on the fire department gets me sign-in privileges at our municipal pool. Of course there's only about 10 hours of lane swimming scheduled/week and they keep it at around 30C so it's more like a sauna, but I guess I get what I pay for?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$660 for the year for Masters + $53 for the USMS fee (required) and a great pool with great coaches (and at least 1 other STer).

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of swimming poll [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot the USMS fee when I answered the poll. That's not required for me to swim, but it is required for most meets.

During the academic year I swim at my university pool, and the membership to the gym/pool is free. Best professional perk I could ask for. During breaks I swim at the local Y, which is $39 a month.

The only additions would be the occasional drop-in fee to an aquatic center if I am traveling.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the cheap cost for swimming folks have subsidized pool access. Through work (university pool) or through municipal services (for me town pool). My real cost is higher given I pay for pool through my taxes although the non-swimmers subsidize me heavily. My cost also includes mileage getting back and forth to pool which I didn't include (my bad)

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Costco has a 2-year 24hour fitness membership for $400. 2 years ago it was $350. Time before that, $300. If I get there before 7:00am I ALWAYS get my own lane.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of swimming poll [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HOA fees are I think $500 a year which allows me to live in the neighborhood and give up all of my rights and personal freedoms of expression! But indo get access to about 8 different swimming pools, one of which is a lane only 50m swimming pool, multiple tennis courts and other recreation facilities. Have to pay the HOA fees whether you swim or not - so I guess that means I'm swimming for free! Now I just need to swim more often
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the pool hours suck and the circle swim sucks

That's a bummer. My Y has lap swimming nearly solid from 5:30 AM till 9:50PM and it's usually 1 or 2 per lane.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of swimming poll [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man I am so so so spoiled.

5 minutes from my house in Taipei, I swim at a 50m long course pool (No bulkhead..it's always 50m!) with 10 lanes. People there know me, and so most days, I have a lane to myself because I swim 100s on 1:20...but man it gets crowded when there are 3 of us sharing a lane!

And how much do I pay? $0. Nothing. Nada. The government gives local residents free access to this taxpayer funded paradise that 99.9% of residents who pay for it don't use.
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of swimming poll [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming in Cambridge UK with Cambridge Triathlon Club, I pay £3.00/session - the club rents out the entire pool at a local school (25m/4 lanes) and it's excellent, and also includes coaching.
I was struggling before - swimming in a local pool and experiencing every idiot in the pool deciding that the right time to push off and swim very slowly in the fast lane was directly in front of me.

And paying a lot more than £3 per session
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of swimming poll [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$420 a year at a local recreation center (non-resident even though I'm 3 miles away)

8 lane 25 yard competition pool that 6 lanes are taken by the kids swim team weekday afternoons but I'm out of there beforehand.
Indoor running track, 10 laps to a mile.

My work is about to subsidize Lifetime Fitness for us, they're pitching in $40 a month and LTF is pitching in $20. I'll probably keep both memberships since LTF pools suck, I just need a place to run during lunch in the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:

My employer has an outdoor pool next to the employee gym building.. but it's on the opposite coast to my office.

Currently pay $50ish/month for a family Y membership, even though I'm the only one who uses it (my younger daughter actually guards there so technically doesn't even need a membership).

At 5am I'm typically one of 3-4 people swimming so no complaints about crowded lanes etc :)
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of swimming poll [mpderksen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mpderksen wrote:
Costco has a 2-year 24hour fitness membership for $400. 2 years ago it was $350. Time before that, $300. If I get there before 7:00am I ALWAYS get my own lane.

This is what I use. Mine just expired, and when I saw the Sport was $400, I decided to get the Super Sport for $650/2yr. I will make up the difference on gas and I don't have to wash my own towels.

I am not looking forward to January when the resolutioners come out and decide to give floating a try.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pay $29 a month for 24 hour fitness where I can and do take advantage of pools all over the metro area depending on where I am for work that day.

Also have a masters swim group available 5 times a week as part of my coaching group I just joined. I rarely use it due to timing, but it's been a nice change of pace to swim in outdoor heated pools where people are actually trying instead of fat hairy men just trying to cool off from the sauna at 24 hour fitness, haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't think this would be an opportunity for me to brag about how spoiled I am but since we are on the topic, here goes:
1) 25M salt water lap pool provided by employer.
2) 25yd. lap pool in apartment complex.
3) Local city lap pool in park across the street ($5 dollars a session).

Before this I was schlepping it at my local Y.
I think circle swim (especially with those that belong in the slow lane) should be illegal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Well, since OWS swimming is all I ever do anymore... the ocean is free. I don't even pay for parking. So, $0 for a 15,500km puddle of water.

I went to the swimming pool about a month ago. The water is really warm compared to the ocean and I got hot.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Cost of swimming poll [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Darren325 wrote:
Man I am so so so spoiled.

5 minutes from my house in Taipei, I swim at a 50m long course pool (No bulkhead..it's always 50m!) with 10 lanes. People there know me, and so most days, I have a lane to myself because I swim 100s on 1:20...but man it gets crowded when there are 3 of us sharing a lane!

And how much do I pay? $0. Nothing. Nada. The government gives local residents free access to this taxpayer funded paradise that 99.9% of residents who pay for it don't use.

I HATE YOU!
Quote Reply

Prev Next