Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online
Quote | Reply
I rode one of our area's best-established organized century rides today. Beautiful route; many hundreds of riders representing all ability levels. It was a great day.

At the finish, I saw a rider turn his bike upside down--onto the saddle and handlebars--and begin to furiously crank the pedals.

After several minutes, sensing my gaze, he explained: "my computer shows we only went 98.2 miles. I need to get it up to 100 before I post the stats on Facebook."

For the past year or so, I've been conducting an experiment with myself: no social media posts about my racing and endurance adventures, no race T-shirts, no medals in the office... I don't think there's anything wrong with any of these things--I just have wanted to make sure *my* motivations are in the right place. (In other words, I'm testing myself to make sure I really do love the sport, and am not just trying to impress people.)

I have no idea what Facebook Guy's motivations were for running up his mileage on his computer. But, he was a great reminder (to me) that the metrics that matter most (to me) can't be measured by my Garmin.

Thanks for listening.
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [jason_miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if he was going to have a Cameron Frye style meltdown and kick his bike out of the conservatory when he realises that spinning the wheel wont adjust the Garmin....
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [jason_miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guilty of doing something similar - though I don't post my numbers online (well, I put them on trainingpeaks, but I don't post a link to that anywhere). For me I just hate having uneven numbers.

That being said, I cover the extra distance to even it out... in this case, I would have just gotten on the bike and biked the extra 1.8 miles.

Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you had a great day because you just made mine! That's truly hilarious.

I also avoid addressing triathlon in most situations outside of training and racing. The most I'll do is post a few pictures, but only if they're also good pictures i.e. I don't post one for each race. Never posted about any of my results or commented on training either. Unless saying "I had fun" when asked in a comment on a picture counts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jason_miles wrote:
After several minutes, sensing my gaze, he explained: "my computer shows we only went 98.2 miles. I need to get it up to 100 before I post the stats on Facebook."

Right then, you should have slapped him across the face.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jason_miles wrote:
I rode one of our area's best-established organized century rides today. Beautiful route; many hundreds of riders representing all ability levels. It was a great day.

At the finish, I saw a rider turn his bike upside down--onto the saddle and handlebars--and begin to furiously crank the pedals.

The REAL outrage are the event organizers. 98.2? That is fraud pure and simple. It's outrageous! Preposterous! Unacceptable!

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:

That being said, I cover the extra distance to even it out... in this case, I would have just gotten on the bike and biked the extra 1.8 miles.

Absolutely - can't have an uneven workout!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you were at the North Shore Century Ride? Assuming yes, the guy recently got back into cycling and was really proud of having done 100 miles. I was excited for him too. Spin away!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just round every ride up to the nearest 100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go circle the parking lot to hit 100, not sure if that is more lame or less lame ;)
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Margin of error on cyclometers/GPS means probably still was 100. :facepalm:

Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
jason_miles wrote:

The REAL outrage are the event organizers. 98.2? That is fraud pure and simple. It's outrageous! Preposterous! Unacceptable!

I did an organized century ride last year. I more or less knew the area and knew I was getting close to being back to town at around mile 90 so I started pushing it. Then the route turned right instead of left towards town. I did not know the area enough to know exactly how to get back so I stayed on the route. Mile 100 passed, 101, 102, 103 ... Somewhere around mile 105 it became pretty obvious that perhaps I should not have pushed it and started really feeling like crap as I turned back into the wind. When I did finally get back I noted that their century ride was actually a tad over 110. As I was getting my food at the end I mentioned that it was a little long. The answer, "Yeah but we really like that church out there." Damnit, I didn't see any church. You mean I rode all that way dead tired and missed the church?

I could see someone wanting to ride another mile or two if they were really intent on riding a century, but spinning the wheels? He should just hire the neighbor kid to take it for a spin.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Sep 22, 14 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
I would go circle the parking lot to hit 100, not sure if that is more lame or less lame ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it that much different than people who set their computers to pause when they stop, thus making their average speed higher?

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on...haven't we all gotten to the end of a workout on the trainer and maybe spun for another 30 seconds so that the workout was 70.0TSS not 69.8TSS? Of course in my example, there's actually "work" being done.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being that there is a Special Circle of Hell for People that Fudge Their Training Logs ... He might burn for that one, even if he DID ride around the parking lot to get to an even 100

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fact that you have this experiment and feel the need to share it, that's telling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would sure as hell rather just ride another 1.8 miles on my bike, than turn it upside down and crank the pedals

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cant say I would have ever thought to round out a ride like that by spinning the pedals. What is the point of saying you rode 100 miles and had the "log" to prove it if you had to fudge the log?

And if its a "dumb" bike computer that's just a wheel sensor with no GPS - then just post the 100.

Just go ride the 1.8 miles. How long could that possibly take? 10 minutes if you are cruising at cool-down pace.
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:
Is it that much different than people who set their computers to pause when they stop, thus making their average speed higher?

Garmin records time paused.
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it does. But it also pauses when asked, and that is usually the time uploaded to things like Training Peaks.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about training peaks but it's not the time uploaded to Strava. If you want to compete with somebody else's training log, that's the place to go. If you want to know your own, well you know how many times you stopped so it's irrelevant. All that matters is your consistency.

Either way, at least the person rode the distance
Quote Reply
Re: "Correcting" Mileage Stats Before Posting Online [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
TunaBoo wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tkos wrote:

???

That's pretty much common practice. Why count time if you're not actually riding?
Quote Reply

Prev Next