Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars
Quote | Reply
I'm on the hunt for some new aerobars after my old Zipp Vuka's cracked and and working on a tight budget trying to squeeze out as much speed as possible. I've been riding Chinese 88mm CC wheels for almost a year now with no problems. I've gotten a few offers from the classifieds but nothing I've been excited about. I can't see these aliexpress bars being any slower than 95% of the bars on the market (aside from the new Vukas, alpha x, and a few others). I don't need a ton of adjust ability as they'll fit very similar to my old zipps.

So what are your thoughts? Are they actually slow/can I get a better value somewhere else?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you worry about safety more than aero when it comes to knock of bars. Are you confident they won't fail and send you over the handlebars?

Read some of the stories of the Felt IA bar clamp design issues and there are a few that had some really nasty crashes as a result of failed bars.

I personally think a structural part like that you have to decide if it is safe enough for you. No harm in getting aluminum bars either if you are budget constrained.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you want them, then buy them and then let us know your thoughts. Put them on your stationary trainer bike (if you have one) first. Hopefully, if there is an issue with them you will find it there rather than on the road.

Have you looked on ebay for these first? I would be surprised if there was not a US seller of them that you could return them to if there was an issue.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're referring to the old Vuka Bull I've got one sitting in the parts bin...
Last edited by: JASpencer: Jan 8, 18 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not the bull, the fully integrated one.

Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I cant find anything that wouldn't cost at least $50 more and most are still coming from china. I really don't fear for my safety but that might be because I'm still in the 'young and invincible' phase of life...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd compare the price delta of the bars you're looking at (name brand vs Chinese generic) and compare that to the potential price of a devastating injury from your bars failing at any moment. Yes, name brand parts can fail too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using a pair for two years and they have been great. The one downside is they are not adjustable like say the TriRig Alpha or the PD Aeria Ultimate. Slowman Dan will tell you adjustability is his biggest criteria for front end setups. If you know you do well on a slammed set of aerobars with no adjustability, the Chinese aerobars are great.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Yes, name brand parts can fail too.

But they can more easily be held responsible if the parts fail.
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't cheap out on stems, handlebars or forks. The price of wrong is way too high. Plenty of quality stuff you can get at a discount from reputable online sellers or from the classifieds here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll bet it'll work 100% fine. Just check them carefully before use and do some progressively easier to harder rides to test out their integrity before race day.

I redid my P2c cockpit last year and was horrified with how expensive aerobar setups were. I think they've come down in price for the alloy ones from some US brands since then, but at the time I was buying, there were almost zero options that came in <$300 total.

I took the plunge, bought a set of Chinese carbon aerobars and base bar for a total of $150 (nonintegrated). Again, I'm not chasing every last aero second, I just need something to get me lower than the road bar setup. It has worked great, no problems. Looks great, too.

I really think the catastrophic failure possibility is overused as a scare factor regarding chinese carbon bike parts. On the forums, for years now, they don't seem to have notably higher failure rates anecdotally than the name brands. I think as long as you do your due diligence, and check your parts before and after heavy use (which is good practice even with pricey parts), you'll be fine. I would say differently if this were a high-impact load piece like on a mountain bike, but road bike use is easy to get CF up to rider tolerance.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jan 8, 18 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The main question to ask is, where do the brake cables come out of that bar?

In the past, they came out in the middle of the aero section, very far from the center point, and left a ton of exposed cable. Nobody wants that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought this swimsuit: https://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item4ae0c65ce5

I am very meticulous on my swimwear. Speedsuits work. This was a total ripoff. It was the opposite of a speedsuit. I was SLOWER in these because it sucked up water instead of repelling it and on top of that it was so thin that I could only use it as a practice suit for 10 days before it fell apart. It was a complete waste of money.
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chicanery wrote:
The main question to ask is, where do the brake cables come out of that bar?

In the past, they came out in the middle of the aero section, very far from the center point, and left a ton of exposed cable. Nobody wants that.

I think that Chris is right. I do not see any holes for the brake cables.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look in the diagram. The cables come out right before the brackets.
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they're about the same positioning as my old Vukas and since I'm riding a p3c it's not like I can get a perfect cable set up anyways.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the Chinese bars. My feeling is they are over built as a bar, so lots of margin. I benched my full setup before sending to the LBS for installation with rest of the bike. I had to make the access holes larger to fit the first gen DuraAce Di2. I also made my own aero pad platform & it turned out great.

The ebay listings include drawings therefore I was able to mock up and make sure they would work for me.

I like it more than my stock Argon E118

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I think Chinese carbon. I think about this. Understandably any part can fail, but if you feel comfortable with it, than go for it

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
When I think Chinese carbon. I think about this. Understandably any part can fail, but if you feel comfortable with it, than go for it

When I think of pointlessness, I think of random anecdotes with absolutely no context or backstory.
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Details?

Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m on my 3rd Chinese road bike - ride it in crits, on trainer, really hard almost non stop

Never had an issue

I didn’t think about getting a good aerobar for my TT, but I may consider it

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Convince me not to buy Chinese carbon aerobars [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got this design, not sure about the seller but these are my bars.

<https://www.ebay.com/...4:g:Z4kAAOSwbdpWVSoL

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chinese carbon is Chinese carbon and as others said, if something went wrong, it is easier to get after a real brand than Ali.

I have heard that oftentimes, these items are purchased straight from the manufacturer in China, and those look a lot like Spec carbon base bars. The ones that had that style aero bar clamp recalled for breaking. That is the part that would worry me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You must have rocks in your head to risk your safety in this way. I have seen a pair of Chinese bars literally fold up under normal use - during a standing start in a TT. The result was a nasty crash and a dislocated shoulder. I would never, ever take such a risk just to save a few bucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like you I cracked a set of Zipp Vuka bars which just highlights that carbon bars can fail no matter who made them.

I settled on the full alloy Zipp Vuka bull and clips as a replacement. The setup cost me less than the carbon bars you have linked and while they aren't sexy they also aren't slow. More importantly they are highly adjustable so you will be able to get the fit you want. The additional benefit is I don't have to be so careful every time I travel with the bike, rest it against a wall, adjust the stem, etc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next