Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Converting a 90mm HED Stinger for track use. Q for wheel building experts.
Quote | Reply
Just in case I can not secure fast enough a Blackwell track disk I will buy, I am thinking as a second choice in using this converter on a rear 90mm HED Stinger. Will it work?

http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/fixxer_pop.html

Thanks for your comments,

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Converting a 90mm HED Stinger for track use. Q for wheel building experts. [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Surly parts are pretty good - fixer & you might want a singleator if you dont have horizontal dropouts. http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/singleator_pop.html

These parts get used & abused by London couriers & I never heard anything bad about them.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a 90mm HED Stinger for track use. Q for wheel building experts. [unistudentbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wheel is to be used as a backup in a Bianchi track bike that my kid is using to race. No need to use the Singleator. But good thing you reminded me that they existed as I need some of those gadgets to convert all the bikes used at my shrimp farm to single speeds.

Thanks for your comment and best wishes,

Sergio

Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Re: Converting a 90mm HED Stinger for track use. Q for wheel building experts. [Sergio Escutia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you will have some spacing issues: a road wheel has a 130 mm axle whereas a trackbike generally accepts a 120 mm axle. Maybe it's possible to adjust the length of the axle by playing a little with some spacers, but then you might have the problem that your rim isn't centered anymore on the axle and you might have to redish it. (which may be not so practical)
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a 90mm HED Stinger for track use. Q for wheel building experts. [Danio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The FIxxer wont work unless you have an old shimano hub on there. You'll have to rebuild it on a track hub.

Theres no way to make your current wheel a fixed. Why not just buy the stinger 90 track wheel from hed. It comes built on a Phil Wood hub. The you'll have matching wheels.
Last edited by: str8dum: Feb 6, 07 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a 90mm HED Stinger for track use. Q for wheel building experts. [str8dum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Why not just buy the stinger 90 track wheel from hed. It comes built on a Phil Wood hub. The you'll have matching wheels.

I already talked with Andy at HED about the conversion for track use. They can do it, but sending the wheel from Mexico to the USA and then back again through the border is not easy, safe nor cheap. Last week I imported a track bike into México from the USA using FEDEX. The first time I talked with the custom broker he told me that you can not import bikes into Mexico without a special permit. At the end they did not returned to the USA or destroyed the bike as they warned me it could happen. I had to fill some special forms and talk a lot over the phone to free that bike.

I was thinking in adapting temporarily the 90mm Stinger for the State championships as I do not think that he needs the extra advantage of the disc for the States. Next important event is the Youth Nat. If I buy a new wheel for track use it will be a disc (or disco) not a 90mm Stinger. The 90mm Stinger is a great wheel. My kid won the triathlon nationals on that wheel but for the track I think I am going to buy a disc and leave the Stinger 90mm for his road TTs on windy conditions.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Sergio

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you use bikes for on a shrimp farm?

This is a serious question as my only knowlege of shrimping comes from Forrest Gump. ;-p

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Converting a 90mm HED Stinger for track use. Q for wheel building experts. [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Khai... In the movie FG was a shrimp fisherman but in the book he was a shrimp farmer :-) .

We began using 3 wheel ATVs in the late 80's as a mean of personal transportation around the farm. They did not last long. Then I bought a couple of 6x6 amphibious vehicles. No good either. VW beach buggies and small trucks followed without success. Then I realized that maybe there was no need to use a gasoline vehicle to transport most of workers around. The only ones that use a truck now are the Production Manager and his three Chiefs, everyone else uses bicycles and they are doing fine (and probably healthier than their jefes).

Using Google earth you can check out the farm in the coordinates:
22.666709°, -105.823961 . The photo was taken between production cycles (no water in the ponds) but it gives you an idea of where they ride.

Best wishes;

Sergio

Quote Reply