Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Converting P2 into a roadie
Quote | Reply
Is it possible/ good idea to convert an old (2012) P2 into a road bike? How is frame geometry different from S5?
Quote Reply
Re: Converting P2 into a roadie [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly possible, and I'm sure it'd make a respectable road bike if you like being low.
Can't speak for the specific differences between the P2 and the S5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chrissie Wellington did this. See the pics and read about it here.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...Cervelo_P2C_466.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most tri bikes have a longer front center and lower stack heights than similar road bikes. But this can be done, lots have done it successfully, it all depends on the size P2 you've got, how much drop you like, what seat tube angle you prefer, how many spacers you use, etc. This isn't my bike, but its a good example:

And lots more similar set ups here, but with other tri bikes.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Converting P2 into a roadie [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ Dark-

Thanks for posting that link. My first tri bike was that Cervelo P2SL Pro. That frame has just been hanging in the garage. I think I just found my next project. Cool pics of all of those. The only one that looked WAY out of place is that Shiv conversion, IMO. We all know that it's not an ideal setup by any means. But, to each their own, right?

Keep up the good work!

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Converting P2 into a roadie [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:
The only one that looked WAY out of place is that Shiv conversion, IMO. We all know that it's not an ideal setup by any means. But, to each their own, right?
I don't know, that one looked pretty cool to me. And if it fits the rider, who am I to say? Interestingly, that's the only one of the bunch of bikes where the rider who did the conversion was actually an employee of the bike company (specialized).

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did it with my 2009 P2 48.

It works well with me cuz I'm long bodied and the trail on that size is 59.5mm

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Converting P2 into a roadie [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saved this photo a while ago, thought about doing the same to my old p2c, went the s5 route instead. Looks awesome IMO

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the responses and pictures. Looks like I know what I'm gonna do with the old P2 once I get a new tri bike. Couldn't see it going to waste and I wanted a roadie
Quote Reply
Re: Converting P2 into a roadie [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And if it fits the rider, who am I to say?"

Don't get me wrong. It's a results based hobby (for most of us). UCI legalities be danged. A bike like that is for hurting his buddies on the Saturday Hammerfest or similar. Nothing more. But, in the end, nothing more is needed ;)

I'd have no problem riding the oddest setup in the world if it meant that I could make everyone cry uncle by the time we turn for home!

Last edited by: morpheus: Feb 1, 15 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just know that you are going to get a ton of feedback telling you why you shouldn't do it.

This whole thing is for fun. Looks fun to you? Go for it.

The only legit argument, IMO, is weight balance and handling....safety. Tri bikes have you shifted forward a bit and it distributes the weight differently. Potentially, affecting the handling. You can compensate for this to a good extent with you converted setup. But, from what I've read, not 100%. If you're a strong rider, comfortable in the pack, you won't blink an eye at this.

Just be aware.

Train hard, be safe, & have fun!

Last edited by: morpheus: Feb 1, 15 12:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice is to really watch your set-up in order to get back behind the pedals as much as reasonably possible (an offset P5 seatpost in my case) then shorten your stem together with a short reach bar. Add a healthy saddle to bar drop and you have a quick bike for fast road races.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting P2 into a roadie [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is it only the seat post on the P2 that keeps it from being UCI legal or is the downtube not legal too?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Converting P2 into a roadie [five82vette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
five82vette wrote:

That is THE MOST EPIC garage I have ever seen posted to Slowtwitch, or maybe anywhere else before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its possible but no one has talked about the actual numbers.

In a comparable size the S5 is approximately 4cm shorter in reach and 4cm taller in stack.

I'm guessing you'll end up with some compromises. Probably your saddle will need to be slightly more forward, bars slightly lower and your stem will be short/upturned.

This isn't to say you shouldn't do it but that it won't be ideal. You could always try and trade your P2 for a road frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting P2 into a roadie [kppolich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my p2
I sold the frame and bought an evo even swap. Solo I think the p2 was faster but group rides evo is def faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Safety and handling are my number one concerns. I don't bike race and only occasionally do a road century or Fondo. When riding with a group, its usually with 2-5 addittional riders most of which are triathletes. I was really just looking for something a little more laid back to use during the off season or during a Fondo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only problems are the seatpost and the gussets inside the front triangle between the seattube and toptube and between the downtube and toptube.
There are gusset allowances from the UCI for TT bikes but those don't apply to road bikes.
They might be inside the allowable limits for road frames, it's hard to tell 100% from a quick measure on my one.
The front gusset will also vary with frame size, so smaller sizes of frame might be OK while larger sizes not.
Quote Reply
Re: Converting P2 into a roadie [carlosferreiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

I'm using a 2009 48cm P2. It has 650 wheels and it's almost impossible to find a high quality 650 road bike and that's why I chose to convert it.

I think I'm going to have to contact my region's representatives to get a straight answer.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, best to check what their reaction will be. Pretty sure the 51cm 700c frame is OK, not seen a 48cm 650 but I'd guess.....
Quote Reply