Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Controversial Blog - "Triathlon a Stupid Sport"
Quote | Reply
It's Friday and this Blog post ( not mine) that just passed by on my Twitter feed should get you going. Give it a read.

http://bit.ly/gURAmY

While the view-point of the blogger is very biased, unbalanced, extreme and in some cases factually wrong( hey it's a blog!!), there are some nuggets of the truth in there!

This could get ugly! I am taking cover. Hey don't shoot me, I am just the messenger! ;-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 28, 11 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Controversial Blog - "Triathlon a Stupid Sport" [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say it's pretty accurate Steve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately a lot of that rings true. Oh... and I agree that dude in the mankini looks ridiculous. Haha

Quote | Reply
These responses are going to be fun. Unfortunately, he may have some good points. The way he chooses to put his opinions into words is a little sh**ty, but hey, he's trying to get people to read his blog and this will probably do it. There are douchebags in every walk of life, especially with athletes, but not just triathletes. Thanks for the grain of salt on this Friday morning. Hope everyone has a good weekend

--------------------------------------------

"It's too dangerous and expensive to ride with d*ckheads" -tridork

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the most part, its spot on. Especially the M-Dot references.

However grouping all triathletes as douchbags is a little extream although there are plenty of them. Just look around here for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Favorite part (talking about the money factor).
"Supporters of triathlon will tell you that you can do a triathlon with a mountain bike you got from Walmart. But don't think they won't be laughing at you because they will."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounded like he just needed something to whinge about and came up with triathlon. Very little humor or real thought behind his words.

The photo, though, is a CLASSIC. WTF do people think they are wearing out there? Please, this digital world is everywhere, so do try not to introduce crazed laughter.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is a way that pricks can tell the world that they are awesome and rich and better than you.

Exactly.....duh......; )

Although.....I am pretty awesome.

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team
Powered by Accelerate 3
Quote Reply
Re: Controversial Blog - "Triathlon a Stupid Sport" [FastandFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastandFun wrote:
I'd say it's pretty accurate Steve.

I would say 25% accurate. The rest is exaggerated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for the most part this is highly accurate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"elitest pricks" .... for the most part, pretty much yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just another guy with the common misconception that the only triathlon is an Ironman. also that there is a correlation between money spent and overall placings.

Nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Controversial Blog - "Triathlon a Stupid Sport" [WillyMFire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't mean to go against the crowd here but I like triathlon.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, there is a lot of truth in parts of this blog. Specifically around the monopoly that the Ironman brand has on the sport of triathlon, but thankfully there are other races getting larger in popularity, ie. Rev3, and from what I've read the "Rock N Roll Marathon" people are considering making a series of triathlon events.

The downside is that this writer is stereotyping everyone who does triathlon. For me personally, I am an obsessed athlete who has a passion for pushing my body to it's absolute limits and that's why I do triathlons.

For anyone who reads Triathlete Magazine there is an article about the 70.3 World Championships moving to Vegas with a full page picture (I wish I could recall the page number) that captures what this writer is saying about elitists. I'll describe it for just a thought...it is of a section of the bike course with riders coming down a hill closer to the view point of the camera and then going into a turn. All of the people in the picture are AGers and it's funny to note that more than half of them in the picture have on Aero helmets. I laughed when I saw the picture because there are people not even on their aero bars, or honesly completely out of shape that having that Aero helmet isn't going to help them at all. My point is that they probably purchased those aero helmets because 1. they could afford them, and 2. because they wanted to look cool.

Anyway, I'm rambling but that's my 2 cents.

Chris

< Quitting Isn't An Option >

Quote Reply
Re: Controversial Blog - "Triathlon a Stupid Sport" [Mallen4574] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mallen4574 wrote:
Unfortunately a lot of that rings true. Oh... and I agree that dude in the mankini looks ridiculous. Haha

faris is the man

Quote Reply
Re: Controversial Blog - "Triathlon a Stupid Sport" [marcia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The blog seemed as if it was aiming at the M-dot brand and the "elitist pricks" that participate, not the sport itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of what he was ranting about is very true.There are lots of great folk in our sport but as in most social groups the assholes are the loudest and the ones who give the whole sport a bad name.

Quote Reply
Re: Controversial Blog - "Triathlon a Stupid Sport" [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes he is, but either shave the stomach and chest or leave the legs hairy. I can do without the hairy man stomach on a Friday. That's more of a Monday morning (or never really) thing since everything is bad about Monday.

------------------------------

"It's too dangerous and expensive to ride with d*ckheads" -tridork

Last edited by: craigstrispot: Jan 28, 11 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: Controversial Blog - "Triathlon a Stupid Sport" [CJS25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The downside is that this writer is stereotyping everyone who does triathlon.

This is true.

A recurring thread here over the years is about the abuse and rough ride that triathletes get when in contact with single sporters - the blogger touches on this.

However, in 25 years of training in many mixed groups, I have never ever seen any sort of negativity what-so-ever, by any single sport athlete. It's been all mutual respect Now mind-you, I am one of those first generation triathletes, who swam with swimmers, road with roadies and ran with runners. That's how we trained. I know the type of triathlete the blogger is referring to and, THAT sort of triathlete,(perhaps today they represent the majority), is kinda asking for it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 28, 11 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still pretty new here and to the sport but while a lot of this rings true at least one thing is far off.

In how many sports does the last person in get almost as much support as the first? Compared to any of the single sport events I've participated in (running, cycling, mountain biking, ... ) I've yet to see any group that is more supportive. Tri events just have a different feel to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Controversial Blog - "Triathlon a Stupid Sport" [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Farris is in a little better shape that the blog guy. I bet the guy in the blog photo rides a Wal-Mart Mt. bike.

Quote | Reply
I thought it was funny as hell! Best thing I've read all day. Very entertaining. I'm not sharing it with anyone I know who isn't a triathlete though so they don't get the wrong idea. There's too much fallacy in the article to explain to be worth sharing with non-tri types. But for us it's freaking hysterical.

And oh how I wish I made 150K a year. That would be awesome. I did not choose a career that will allow me that level of income and still leave me time to train. The guys who make that much in my field work too much.

Jay

45 AG triathlete and terrible BMX racer, Tampa FL
Last edited by: Jay G: Jan 28, 11 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some valid points in both the article and the comments. Quite an entertaining read overall.

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you click on his Name - Charles Noir - Extreme Fiction - so his blog makes sense. Fiction.

I few thoughts:

Go to a message board and people won't like you - seems like THOSE people have the issue

Cost of Kona $550, Boston $130 - To win: Kona takes 8 hours, Boston 2. Very similar pricing per hour.

Amateur needs 20 hours per week to be decent - Not really

$4,000 to $5,000 on a bike - I wish........

$150k salary - elitist - not in ANY city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least he makes a pseudo-exception for us ultrarunners. It's nice to be on equal standing with, say, your average NFL/NBA/MLB player who is most likely a model citizen with zero tendencies toward dickheadedness.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply

Prev Next