Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Controlling Weight and Weight loss.
Quote | Reply
I am slowly getting back into my regular work out schedule but am having a very hard time getting the pounds down. I work out about an hour a day and longer on the weekends. Any helpful tips.

Breakfast is usually a bowl of oatmeal with craisons or just plain.

Cup of coffee

Apple or banana mid morning

Lunch is usually some rice with turkey or a sandwich.

Apple or banana mid afternoon

Dinner is usually something healthy like a salad, pasta or chicken.

Right now I am 185 at 5'10" and usually race at around 170-175. It has just been difficult to get rid of that 10 pounds.

Tips, tricks, helpful hints.

I think that little things like a handful of M&M's or the extra bun and crap has to go and a lot more water.

Also read in Runner's World about Meb drinking 3 glasses of water before every meal. What do you think about that.
Last edited by: Bman: Sep 5, 05 16:13
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling Weight and Weight loss. [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't eat enough. May be counterintuitive, but looks like too few calories and a lower metabolism.

Not a nutritionist - B

"the only normal people are the ones you don't know"
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling Weight and Weight loss. [HeyB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is all I can eat. I do have larger portions but can not eat too much more. I do eat something after a workout if I am starving but that is normally some fruit or a bowl of cereal.

When I do more training I do eat a lot more but right now with my training at just an hour a day (low intensity) and a couple of hours on the weekend (again low intensity) that is enough to get me going. I am never tired and not shedding any weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Controlling Weight and Weight loss. [Bman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks to me like you're eating pretty darn healthy, except for the M&M's. There's lots of fruit, veggies, whole grains, etc. If you're training at a nice steady pace but not losing weight, well, maybe you're at your body's natural weight. Perhaps you're going to stress your body out by trying to shed those extra ten pounds.

What's more important to look at are how you feel in training and especially your race results. Think about the following: If you lose those extra ten pounds, whether it be through major dieting/calorie restriction, or through increased training, will your training/racing performance suffer? If so, then being ten pounds lighter isn't worth it.

Again, I'm no expert and not a nutritionist. Just offering my two cents. I've had the same experiences with myself in the past. I am 6'2" and 185-187 when at my body's natural weight. I frequently tried to push my weight down towards 180 thinking it'd be "free speed", but I was poor in training, lethargic during the days, and didn't sleep all that well. Maybe I'm an anamoly, but again -- just my two cents.

Hope this helps!
Tom
Quote Reply