Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coming soon for your long rides, personal dehumidifiers
Quote | Reply
Found this article on Slashdot, and the nerds (of which I am one) seem to think nobody would want this. I think with some refinement there are quite a few training rides that could benefit from this pretty slick automatic bidon filler.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/17/water-from-air-fontus_n_6160136.html

Quote Reply
Re: Coming soon for your long rides, personal dehumidifiers [Hussman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huffpo is blocked at work; how fast will it fill a water bottle?
Quote Reply
Re: Coming soon for your long rides, personal dehumidifiers [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on humidity and temperature, at about 75-80 oF and 50% humidity, 0.5 liters in an hour. It's not road ready yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Coming soon for your long rides, personal dehumidifiers [Hussman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hussman wrote:
Depends on humidity and temperature, at about 75-80 oF and 50% humidity, 0.5 liters in an hour. It's not road ready yet.

Unfortunately, it works the best when you want to drink the most and at any time it doesn't keep up with demand. This is pretty much worthless, apart from the novelty of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Coming soon for your long rides, personal dehumidifiers [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably, but if through design iterations they increase the surface area or power, maybe they could bump it to a liter an hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Coming soon for your long rides, personal dehumidifiers [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be so quick to throw it out.

Sure, it may be useless for triathlon or road racing, but for Ultra-long distance events- think randonneuring, touring, RAAM, those crazy long MTB races out in the wilderness with limited support like cape epic- it may be interesting.
Quote Reply