Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Columbia Tri
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what the numbers look like for the Columbia MD tri? The website doesn't list participants or I'm to dense to find it.

How did last year go with the new org running it?

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Columbia Tri [srussell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the numbers this year, but I am signed up to participate in part based on my experience last year. There was so much uncertainty that I wasn't sure there was even going to be a race at all. I would say that given the last minute switch, the organizers did a very good job. The swim was canceled through no fault of their own, but everything else went well and was very organized. I would expect that with a full year to plan and prepare, this race will go very well--and hopefully we get to swim. I am a relative novice, however. Last year was only my second tri.

I do really like the smaller field; especially compared to my hometown race--the Nation's tri. Opposite ends of the spectrum. The intimacy of the Columbia race was great, I thought. Plus, nice scenery and a seriously challenging course. The hills, man. The hills...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In response to a thread here, the director said it was around 1600 people a couple of months ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Columbia Tri [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kevin and Nick,

Wow, didn't realize it was that big. Almost back to the #'s from a few yes ago. Why ws the swim cancelled last yr - goose poop and rain???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something along those lines. Too much bacteria in the water. But to answer OP last year was very very well done. Any gripes I had were very minor, but all things I think they can fix for this year. Really wish I was going this year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't recall that number coming up at all. I believe the claim was more than 700 registrants...have not seen anything since on it. Maybe I missed a thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Columbia Tri [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, I was off by 1,00, went back and checked.

So, to correct myself, the race director on Mar2nd said that they already have over 700, not 1,600. Don't know why I had that in my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's sad, the race used to have 2,000+ people. It's still one of my favorite races.
Quote Reply
Re: Columbia Tri [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That race is way too crowded with 2000 people. The lollipop bike course with bikes on both sides of the road and open to vehicles is just a debacle. If you don't race in the elite wave, you will have to face the choice of sitting behind a car waiting for it to pass other riders or to risk life and limb (and penalty) and pass car on left or right. A Columbia Tri with 1000 racers is a much better Columbia Tri than what Vigo's crew let it grow to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's sad about a race with almost 1,000 people or maybe more by race day? I think it will be a good race, on a good course, what more can you ask.

I agree with kny, the hilly course does handle large numbers well, but when it got to around 2,500 it was flat out crowded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's sad because the level of competition goes down. Why would anyone sign up for an IM branded race and 2500+ people when they can do a Challenge race that's way less crowded? For most people it's probably the name Ironman, but for me it's because there's better competition at bigger races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
srussell wrote:
Anyone know what the numbers look like for the Columbia MD tri? The website doesn't list participants or I'm to dense to find it.

How did last year go with the new org running it?

Steve

Just came across this, apparently the race director said 700+, but the registration page says 580.

https://myevents.active.com/search/registration-search.faces?e=11754254&a=283888918

search for Triathlon-Olympic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dmorris wrote:
It's sad because the level of competition goes down. Why would anyone sign up for an IM branded race and 2500+ people when they can do a Challenge race that's way less crowded? For most people it's probably the name Ironman, but for me it's because there's better competition at bigger races.

It's simple really:

"You are an Ironman!"

or

"You have completed a full distance triathlon run by Challenge Family which is a foreign-based company you've never heard of but it's sorta like Ironman!"
Quote Reply