Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Colorado cycling
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

In my grand attempt to try to finish Alps d'Huez LD tri this summer, I decided it might be a good idea to fly to CO for Memorial Day weekend and jump on my bike to climb a bit.

Despite a rainy forecast, I was hoping to ride, swim and trail-run in the vicinity of Colorado Springs. So if anyone (but a spamming bot) has a recommendation for any of the aforementioned activities, that'd be great!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [datscha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garden of the Gods, more hills than you'll know what do with and the park is basically set up as several big loops. (Generally one way with great bike lanes) You could ride all day there and only overlap a couple of times. If you get really ambitious you could ride up CO-82 towards Woodland Park, plan on making a day of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
North Cheyenne Canyon Road - road quality is sketchy right now because of the heavy rains, but it's 1200 feet gain over 5k.
I like to do the Canyon-Zoo double, so ride the canyon, come back down and turn right at the exit and then ride to the zoo.
Gold Camp road from 26th Street
Ridge Road into Garden of the Gods
Flying W Road
Centennial north to Blodgett trail, or Woodmen from the other direction
Or, if you've got enough cold-weather gear, $12 to ride Pikes Peak from the toll gates. 6300 feet gain over 30k. Still looks snowy up there today, though.

For trail running, Palmer Park, Ute Valley Park, Garden of the Gods, Red Rocks Open Space, or Cheyenne Mountain State Park.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [xgep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the hint, we will try it out!
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [TheShaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the detailed summary. I'm looking forward to trying these routes out.
Ditto on cold weather gear - thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to Manitou Springs (west edge of CO Springs) and hike The Incline, if it is open. It is an old cog rail track. A real smoker. If the weather is decent (or your prepared) I like the cripple Creek area for biking. It is a little outside of the springs, but beautiful.
Last edited by: grindmonkey: May 18, 15 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Co Springs:
For running - a lap around rampart reservoir is just about impossible to beat. ~40 min drive west. The incline is OK (I'd describe it as the cross fit of running) - but even better is a trail run up to bar camp or the experimental forest up Pikes.
Cycling there is are a few cool options:
There is a great group ride that starts at Starbucks in downtown and goes onto the USAFA - I'd call Criterium (local shop) and confirm but it used to be Saturdays at 9:00AM.
For climbing gold camp, Cheyenne canyon, loops in the GOG (but it is going to be a madhouse on memorial day weekend)
My favorite ride: - head out hwy 83 north and get to roller coaster road - that is pretty unique. Continue north until you hit HWY 105 & head west. 105 eventually turns north toward Denver, goes on forever and this time of year is is just beautiful back there.

Watch out for the "rural" roads south & east of town - lots of shitty pavement and matching drivers.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - was able to locate almost all of your recommendations but two:
- where does the trail start for the experimental mountain trail?
- where is 'bar camp'?

Noted for GOG and tourism madness, we will try to get it in early Friday AM before every flocks in the state
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So Barr trail starts in Manitou - it is just the first miles of the Pikes Peak trail up to Barr camp.

Matt Carpenter has a site with more info than you could ever need.

http://skyrunner.com/ppcourse.htm#Barr

I ran with him a few times in high school (keep in mind this was pre-internet) and had no idea he was an ultra-running god, just thought he was an incredibly friendly, kinda strange dude that never, ever got tired....

One other "secret" ride is http://www.everytrail.com/guide/mt-herman-loop If the sunflowers are out it is one of the coolest runs you'll ever do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this out.
https://www.strava.com/activities/17129653
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [AaronT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't say I recommend that. You'll never get me on US 24 between Manitou Springs and Chipita Park on a bicycle through those canyons. That's my definition of a death trap.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [TheShaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it an issue with road safety or something else?
Last edited by: datscha: May 20, 15 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blind turns, narrow canyon, narrow road, 45mph, no/narrow shoulder.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.87623,-104.935474,3a,75y,250.8h,88.04t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1scFjHLzr1Yw01cKhhL4jCMg!2e0
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.878505,-104.943343,3a,75y,254.01h,93.34t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRKzsvN79rWRLJVRoYLnIPA!2e0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pikes Peak highway is what you'd be interested in if you want to get dialed in for Alpe d'Huez. Cars are generally kind to cyclists since they aren't in a hurry. You may even get a cheer from some. There will probably be sand on the road so be careful up there. Weather has been shitty around here lately. Park just before the toll gate and ride up from there. They charge $12 for the whole thing or $4 to for the first 6 miles to the reservoirs. Great training grounds for the Alpe with several extended 9-10% grades.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [ceej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thinking of tackling pikes peak tomorrow. Do you know how early the road is open ? I'd like to get started before sunrise if possible. I mapped out a route from the Broadmore which adds about 10mi each way but requires riding on 24. Would you recommend I just drive to the entrance and park near the toll booth or is riding on 24 a reasonable plan ? Thanks for any local wisdom you can offer.
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I am not local I was just in the Springs last week and rode from just south of the Broadmore to pikes peak, 24 is a bit busy but it didn't really bother me, it depends on how comfortable you are with traffic.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Colorado cycling [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the round trip from the Broadmore today. About 62mi total with 8k climbing. Great ride. Last 2k were a bit brutal but in a good way. Descent was fun once back below tree line. 24 was busy on the return and a bit dicey at times but I would do it again without hesitation. Wish I lived in Co. Riding in RMNP and now here in the Springs has been amazing.
Quote Reply