Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold weather riding
Quote | Reply
I am going to be racing in the Iceman mountain bike race in November, but have not done a lot of cold weather riding because I ride indoors on my trainer. I keep hearing predictions of early cold hitting the midwest, so I was wondering what everyone wears when riding in cold weather. Say 25-35 degrees? I am assuming a baselayer like Under Armour or something similar. I have been looking at jackets but there are a few different types and was wondering what others used.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather riding [ClayP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Icebreaker baselayer and my Castelli Gabba.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClayP wrote:
I am going to be racing in the Iceman mountain bike race in November, but have not done a lot of cold weather riding because I ride indoors on my trainer. I keep hearing predictions of early cold hitting the midwest, so I was wondering what everyone wears when riding in cold weather. Say 25-35 degrees? I am assuming a baselayer like Under Armour or something similar. I have been looking at jackets but there are a few different types and was wondering what others used.

FWIW: I did a Metric Century last Sat. starting at 33 degrees and heavy fog. First big climb was about 15 min out. I wish I had gotten used to the cold more gradually instead of going from 70 to 33. It was hard on lungs/throat. Still recovering 4 days later. Anyway you can acclimatize a bit before would be beneficial . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool weather take acclimatizing just like hot weather. For Iceman, though, I think you'll be fine. It usually isn't below freezing and most people get away with leg warmers and a long sleeve jersey, I think. Mountain biking is different from the road in that it takes constant effort and the speeds are relatively slow. You'll dress more like you're running than biking. Bring a wind breaker just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClayP wrote:

November is a month and a half away, you'll have to dress for the conditions.
If it's really cold and wet, you'll need baselayers, a breathable windbreaker, tights, warm gore-tex gloves.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My clothing for Iceman 2013:

(I felt perfectly dressed. Chilled during beginning, warming up throughout, usual/healthy sweating at finish.)

Weather - low-mid 30s, damp, overcast, rain possible (none came, thankfully)

Bottom (from in to out)
Zoot Tri Shorts
Specialized Cycling Tights (no chamois)
Cycling Bib-shorts

Top (from in to out)
Base Layer - long sleeve, thin
Insulating Layer - long sleeve, mid-weight
Shell - windstopper, long sleeve, thin, half zip
Cycling Jersey - short sleeve, full zip

Gloves - mid-weight fleece, windstopper

Skull Cap - fleece, thin

Helmet - Bell Sweep R

Pearl Izumi Neo Booties

Cycling Socks - regular/thin weight

Sidi Dominator MTB Shoes

Orange-lens glasses

Camelbak
Last edited by: Brushman: Sep 18, 14 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on how cold it is, I like using the warm pads for my hands and feet. Totally recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a little bit evangelical about Neoprene gloves. Honestly, I'm sad that nobody told me about them 6 years ago. One of the best things I ever bought. You don't even need the fancy expensive cycling ones (although my Endura ones are really good and quite reasonable), a pair of kayak neoprene gloves are almost exactly the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny the first time people compete in the cold weather, they are either under dressed or over dressed.

Over the years you will accumulate a light and heavy pair of everything, there is no one jacket, pants or gloves that will do it all.

Just buy the warmest jacket and pants you can find and then a few pair of gloves. Get a skull cap and wrap you helmet in clear plastic wrap.

UnderArmor cold gear will work well for a base layer top and can be found for a good price at Dunhams sports. You may be surprised and not need it, there have been several 30° days that I've worn a regular bike jersey under a winter coat.

Performance bike outlet stores always have clothing on sale, start shopping now, I've seen $100 coats for for $30. You have to start looking now though. Look for something that will stop the wind but will let heat out the back if needed.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather riding [Mike D1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me personally, if it is under 35 degrees I really struggle. I have learned ways to get more out of indoor cycling during the winter. Don't worry about riding on the trainer, there are huge benefits! One benefit includes the fact that you are continuously pedaling. You don't lose time stopping at lights, waiting for partners to catch up, or slowing in a group. Riding on the trainer is great for winter training in that you can control many variables and see visible improvement. The gains are more noticeable on the trainer!
I found this video to be great and it really helped me.
http://goo.gl/zue1Pl
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For anything under 30 degrees (excluding windchill) here is my basic setup (kansas city winter setup):

-Under Armor base layer short sleeves
- Regular Bibs
- Regular cycling top with arm warmers or under armor long sleeve base layer (lighter weight)
- Gore Oxygen SO Jacket
- Pearl Izumi Elite thermal barrier tights (they are pant cut not bibs)
- Pearl Izume Elite barrier shoe covers
- Any performance cut wool sock (go to bass pro shops/academy and try different ones on until on fits well with your shoe
- balaclava- pretty much any work and a lightweight beanie of some sort
- Ski Goggles for under 25 degrees (it looks stupid but is one of the best things i have ever done)
- no helmet (controversial but i don't care, it is much easier to layer on your head that way)
- Gloves-lobster tails with liners-that way during a ride you can take the lobster tails off and just use the liners

What i like about this setup is that you can change it according to your needs. You can remove a base layer or take the tights off and just add knee warmers is it starts to warm up.

For racing (i did a lot of that this year well under 20 degrees) i will just use a traditional cold weather glove (not lobster tail) and just leg warmers with the bibs-no heavy tights. I will also just have one baselayer under the jacket since you will start to warm up very fast. I still use the ski goggles if its really windy or very cold.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Sep 20, 14 11:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i wrote this last year:

Here's a list of clothes and such that seem to work for me at least. Maybe I'll start from the top:

- I thin wool hat the covers my ears. I also use this when it's real cold, you can cover up your face or tuck the face thing up inside the hat:

http://www.carhartt.com/...p;top_category=10901

For the torso on a cold day, I wear:

- a wool jersey--i have a bunch and wear them year round. They keep you warm when wet, which is key in our climate. And old wool sweater is fine too if not too thick.

- Arm warmers

- Sometimes another long sleeve jersey over top

- a thermal winter bike jacket

- finally, when it's real cold I wear a big nylon touring shell over top of the above. It's a lot of clothes, but when it's 20 I want warm.

- Regular shorts

- Thick winter tights. I use the garneaus and crafts. I prefer tights without an insert, as the crotch tends to wear out and if you have shorts under, you don't care

-wool socks, not too thick. I use smartwool dress socks

- Winter MTB shoes. I prefer the MTB cleats in the winter as the speedplays pack up with snow. I'm using shimano shoes this year, before I had good luck with answer and lake

- Shoe covers. You have to buy some pretty big covers to fit over your shoes, i like the ones designed for mtb.

For gloves, i prefer a mitten made of leather with sheepskin lining, i used these last year and they were great:

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Winter-Cowhide-Leather-Mittens/dp/B0002T6FL2

i'm trying some of those hand covers you leave on the bike, might be good

- My bottles always freeze. I have heard some people use a camelback under the riding coat, I need to try this.

When the weather is somewhat warmer, it's really important to have items like a raincoat, vest, hat, knee warmers etc. that you can stuff in a pocket. It really stinks when the weather changes and you get caught out under dressed

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather riding [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever ride in 15deg weather? I have enough clothing...just trying to find the courage to head out in the cold this morning. It's sunny and no windchill.

Trainer inside for 2 hours or sub 20deg for 2 hours? Anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Cold weather riding [TriZag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriZag wrote:
Ever ride in 15deg weather? I have enough clothing...just trying to find the courage to head out in the cold this morning. It's sunny and no windchill.

Trainer inside for 2 hours or sub 20deg for 2 hours? Anyone?

yes, you can ride but you need a big coat over your coat, heat packs in your shoes, mittens, etc. you need to head out into the wind and avoid getting sweaty the first half and use big tires so you don't get a flat. Riding on the mtb can be a nice option because it's slower, especially if you have some dirt roads.

the trainer is also nice because you can get some quality in w/o wearing 10 pounds of clothes
Quote Reply