Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold Weather Peeps
Quote | Reply
Assuming no snow and rain, you guys ride outside down to what temperature?
If you're trying to actually do some kind of quality work, will you go ride outside if it's under 20F?
16F currently here...
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Peeps [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where the hell are you that it is 16F? If it's not too windy then it isn't that bad. Just a matter of getting up the motivation to go outside when I can do a trainer workout and wait for a warmer day, but I'm not as die hard as some on here
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Peeps [fast10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Central WA...record cold temperatures this weekend...Oh, I recently moved there from...Texas! So needless to say, it does feel a tad chilly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know about quality work, but I try to commute on my Cervelo all year, including the days when it's 5F. All is good as long as it's not to much snow or slippery ice on the road. Clothing / layers is king!

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming the roads are good, I have ridden down to around 10F. At that point, I have found that it becomes difficult to keep the wind and cold from penetrating just about anything. I know there are people who go much lower than that, but I don't like wearing so much that I feel like the Michelen man out there.

Unfortunately, that is not usually a problem for me. The roads are typically waaaay to crappy to ride with any quality well before it is that cold around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I draw the line at 32* . I can last an hour in that. No more.

... in Maine ...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winter outdoor bike cut-off is -10C. 'Cross bike with smaller knobbies for road use gets me through most weather.

Run cut-off -30C.
Last edited by: Boo Radley: Oct 11, 09 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having a hard time in low 40's right now. I did about 5 hours in it yesterday and it sucked. I could ride for a couple hours in it but I'm riding the trainer for the last couple long rides for Florida. Glad Florida's flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoe covers, warm gloves, hat-under-your-helmet (cover ears)- if you are comfortable standing around with what you have on, then you'll be ok riding (in cold weather, I think wind negates the heat you produce during biking, esp if its not a hard ride/on a mountain bike). As long as the roads are dry, and there isn't ice, and your skin is covered, you should be ok. Shoe covers and warm gloves are a must though. You should go ride your mountain bike though. That is fun in the cold, and you bleed differently than when its hot out.

That being said, we don't get 20s without snow here (shore of Lake Superior) so I don't go outside much to ride in the winter.

-----
Follow me on Twitter! megankillian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20F is my cutoff. . but it also depends on the wind and thus the windchill. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as it's not icy, any temperature is good. Since I left our beloved provence & Alpes maritimes I got used to ride in much colder weather. Layers, good gloves and overshoes do the trick. HTFU François ( or 'ATP': Accroche-Toi Putain) ! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Weather Peeps [Fix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't topped 28F in Boulder this weekend. Normally I'd htfu, but I think a 4 hr living room trainer ride is in order.

-------------------
Horsecow racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Francois,
Here's a formula that will be your new best friend for the next few months:

Windchill (ºF) = 35.74 + 0.6215T - 35.75(V^0.16) + 0.4275T(V^0.16)
Where: T = Air Temperature (F);V = Wind Speed (mph);^ = (exponential)

Windchill Temperature is only defined for temperatures at or below 50 degrees F and wind speeds above 3 mph. Bright sunshine may increase the wind chill temperature by 10 to 18 degrees F.
If the temperature is 0 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind is blowing at 15 mph, the wind chill is -19 degrees Fahrenheit. At this wind chill temperature, exposed skin can freeze in 30 minutes.

In your case of 16 F., and assuming a bike speed of 20 mph, the equivalent wind chill temperature is -1 F. I'd strongly consider riding inside if you were planning on going more than an hour.

with warmest regards,
Chris
Last edited by: chrisesposito: Oct 11, 09 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I pretty much draw the line when starts getting into the low 30s. I tried riding once when it was about 20F, and was absolutely miserable...doing 20mph at that temp makes for some pretty cold temps.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Well, I rode 3h45 outside and will now do 2h inside...

TGFL (thank God for layers)
TGFS (thank God for soup)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Assuming no snow and rain, you guys ride outside down to what temperature?
If you're trying to actually do some kind of quality work, will you go ride outside if it's under 20F?
16F currently here...
In Southern Maryland we were riding outdoors as long as there was no ice on the road. Some Saturday mornings the temps were in the teens. Not too big of a deal if you have the clothes for it. Honestly it is only bad for the first 15-20 minutes max, then you warm up. We even rode on Tuesday evenings all year round. It does not seem as bad when you live there and the temps drop gradually, so you kinda get adapted to it (mentally).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I despise working out inside I try to do all my riding outside, all winter. I can hang for an hour at 15f. Over the years I've invested in really good cold-weather technical gear and it's made all the difference for me.
Quote Reply