Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold Water Swim
Quote | Reply
I have a cold water swim this weekend in central PA. I have a full wetsuit and neoprene cap, but I know that with this cold spell, the water is going to be very chilly (potentially mid-50's).

Does anyone have any suggestions to help the warmth-factor? This is part of an adventure race. There will be an 11 mile run prior to the swim, I expect to be in the water for about an hour, and then bike, kayak, and orienteering/running follow.

Thanks! -- Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Swim [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think about getting some neoprene booties and gloves as well. you can get Scuba gear if you can't find swimming specific stuff like this. Surfers use this stuff all the time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could also use some wax earplugs and put on a regular swim cap over your neoprene cap to help keep water out. If your feet get cold easy, you could also get some of the Blue Seventy swim booties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did Escape from Alcatraz this year and was very concerned about the swim (being from Miami, there is no way to prepare for it).

Definately get some ear plugs. I also wore booties which I bought from Cabela's (www.cabelas.com)

Get a practice swim in the water. Don't wade into it, take a full plunge.

After about 5 - 10 minutes, I felt like I could stay in all day.

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to swim fast do not use booties or gloves. Before you know it they will fill with water and will slow you down.
Ear plugs and neoprene cap is a good idea. When you first get in your face and feet might feel cold but after you start swimming you will get used to it.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Swim [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No booties. Too much drag.

===================

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear a long sleeve poly pro top under the wetsuit. I use the DeSoto one, they are really thick, and it makes a huge difference in fighting out the cold. We use them surfing all the time in the winter, and I would say that it almost doubles the warming effect of the wetsuit. Use some vaseline on all the exposed skin areas, feet, hands, face...JUst have atowel there to wipe your hands after the swim, vaseline and bike bars don't mix too well.....
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Swim [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if you don't get used to it? I seem to have a problem with cold water in that I never warm up. The longer I'm in the water the colder I get, to the point I've suffered mild hypothermia in the mid-50's (and this is with a full wetsuit and two swim caps). Any advice for poor bastards like me?

PS- 68º water starts to feel cold to me after ~30 minutes even with a wetsuit

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Swim [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gloves and booties will slow you down too much. Also, I would check the rule book as they might be illegal? Otherwise, how about paddles and fins? How do they differentiate?

Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Swim [hpwvale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure there is...

Train in the same temp water that you're swimming in. I know that that may be difficult, - but we do it. Pedro sits in a bathtub full of ice water.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Swim [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty's polypro top trick is good. In a tri if the water is cold, and the air is cold, you can swim with a polypro top on top of your singlet under your wetsuit, and keep wearing it for the bike (dries quickly). Then remove the Polypro top for the run (singlet underneath)
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Swim [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has an 11 mile run prior to the swim. The interesting part might be just getting the wetsuit on...assuming he's pretty sweaty after the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Swim [Recall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim harder/faster?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some neoprene socks from pro-motion that work great. They fit tight, so they can't really fill up with water. They keep my feet nice and toasty.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold Water Swim [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ;)

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply