Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Club Nationals from a volunteer's perspective (I hate triathletes' S.O.)
Quote | Reply
This was the first race I've ever volunteered at that I actually became a jerk to someone. I never thought it would happen. He wasn't even an athlete. He was a participants husband.

Club Nationals (Pumpkinman) this weekend was a split venue. All thletes had to do was bag their stuff and leave it at T1. We were taking everyones stuff up to the finish line and the athletes wouldn't have to worry about their stuff during the race. The concept is real simple in a split venue - LEAVE THE BAGS AND THE STAFF WILL DELIVER IT TO THE FINISH LINE!!! This concept is used at most IM races. An added convenience that your stuff is accounted for and safe. You don't have to shlep all the way back to the start to pick your stuff up.

That being said this guy was argumentative and just an all around jerk. I explained to him that we didn't know who he was and I didn't know who his bag belonged to. Therefore, I asked him to please leave the bag with me. He was such a serious jerk to me; telling me that if I wanted it so bad, I could call the cops and they could take it. I backed down and let him run for a bit.

I was unaware of how the process was going to take place at the finish line. I was assuming that they would place each bag in the corrals, by number. If a number was missing, there would be a problem at the finish line. So I didn't want to lose accountability for the bags.

Eventually after I asked him what number was on the bag and he was still a jerk, I snapped. I didn't yell at him. I simply said I have no choice but to contact the RD about disqualifying the athlete. That did it. I had become the asshole volunteer. I was so mad at myself because I allowed this j-off to get me to that point.

I settled down and actually attempted to apologize and he was STILL a jerk.

I almost walked away from the transition zone. I have never been that upset at a race. The whole exchange took all of a 1.5 minutes and it genuinely bothered me the rest of the day.

I hope the athlete had a good day, but her husband was an ass!!! I don't wish any harm on him or anything like that but I'd like him to get a really bad hang-nail!

I had to get that off my chest.

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Re: Club Nationals from a volunteer's perspective (I hate triathletes' S.O.) [mohole15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is one of the two main reasons I have cut back from volunteering at 4-5 races per year to 1-2. The other is Ahole racers.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Club Nationals from a volunteer's perspective (I hate triathletes' S.O.) [mohole15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To all Pumpkinman volunteers:

You did an outstanding job! 99.9% of the participants and spectators appreciate the fact that you gave up a day in your busy life to support us.

Thank You
Quote Reply
Re: Club Nationals from a volunteer's perspective (I hate triathletes' S.O.) [MOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried to thank every volenteer I saw. I went back to T1 and man you guys looked busy. It was a great day !Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you for volunteering..

you weren't a jerk, he was..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Club Nationals from a volunteer's perspective (I hate triathletes' S.O.) [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which guy were you? By the time people were going back to t!, we were loading things up. I was the guy on the bed of the truck that everyone was throwing the bags at. I was wearing a yellow long-sleeved running shirt.

I remember the people who came back.

Jason

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for volunteering-taking your time to make our day go great. I really apperciate it. As for that a-hole-imagine having to spend your whole life in that frame of mind-yuck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother and I rode back to T1 to get a van. I rode down to say Hi and thanks. I was on a yellow P3. Yellow helmet VERY good lookin! ; )
Quote Reply
Re: Club Nationals from a volunteer's perspective (I hate triathletes' S.O.) [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There were a few hotties helping us out. One woman was from Montreal and her husband was racing. She was amazing. My girlfriend was just on her morning ride (She's faster than me - I get to date a hot tri-girl) and stuck around to help as did her riding partner for the morning. They caled a friend and he and his entire family came down to bail me out. Things came together really fast once people started helping out.

Still, I left with a bitter taste in my mouth. The thing is, I'm pretty sure that the guy who was a jerk was also a triathlete. Bums me out just a bit more. I still wish a minor discomfort on him - a hangnail or maybe an ingrown hair on his chin - a really big one!

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fact that this bothers you so much shows that YOU are the bigger person in all of this. The nasty person with whom you had the verbal altercation probably spends so much of his life pissed off about something that it was just par for the course. If anything, your attempt to apologize and make things right probably just reinforced his position in the "argument": he was right and you were wrong, obviously, or why would you apologize? Don't beat yourself up too bad - you did the right thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any time you receive anything but politeness as a volunteer, please inform a race official. The rules allow us to penalize an athlete for the behavior of his or her supporters.

I'll put up with a lot more directed at me than I will toward a volunteer. Without volunteers, triathlons won't happen.

David Schoonmaker
Cat. 1 USAT Official
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That being said this guy was argumentative and just an all around jerk... So I didn't want to lose accountability for the bags...I settled down and actually attempted to apologize and he was STILL a jerk... The whole exchange took all of a 1.5 minutes and it genuinely bothered me the rest of the day...I hope the athlete had a good day, but her husband was an ass!!!"

Here's something that you may not have considered: maybe the athlete herself is a 'controller' (ie: she gets very angry often) -- and he has to have her things 'just so' so she doesn't wig out. I've seen this often - even been part of it (even as the controlled S.O.). It's an awful position to be in: knowing that if the controlling person doesn't get what he/she wants, there's hell to pay, and he/she is a horror at home.

That being said (and if that was the case), you still said the right thing -- and I liked that you tried to apologize. Shake it off. You did the correct thing under the circumstances, and the correct thing at a race.

My 2c,
Lauren

-------------------------

Lauren Muney
certified physical fitness trainer
certified health coach
wellcoach
http://www.physicalmind.com

There is no escape from your life... solve the problems and get on with it.

"Just tell her you love her and you think she kicks ass" ~AndrewinNH

"I'm moving [Lauren] to guru status" ~Last Tri in 83
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks.

I have quite a bit of experience working various sporting events (no tris though) in various positions from grunt volunteer to official and I've even been meet director for several big multi day age group swim meets (parents are way worse than SOs ;-).

One thing I have learned on the job over the years is that if someone starts being a jerk and demanding a deviation from the rules or asking you to do something you don't want (or can't) do, the quicker you can calmly and clearly inform them that they will not get what they want, the sooner the interaction ends. Most people tend to want to difuse a situation and be apologetic about enforcing rules. In day to day life when interacting with friends and strangers that works great but in a situation where you are actually charged with some authority to enforce, being "nice" when confronted actually can make the situation much more stressful and worse than it otherwise could be.

My rule when working an event is under no circumstance will I argue with anyone about anything, especially rules or procedures. I will listen to a polite request. I will give it fair and full consideration. Then I make a quick (and hopefully correct ;-) decision and politely inform them what it is. At that point, the interaction is over on my end. Any further lip and they are out on the street.

As long as you make it absolutely clear that once a decision is made, it will not change, it is extremely rare for even the biggest jerk to keep going.
Quote Reply
Re: Club Nationals from a volunteer's perspective (I hate triathletes' S.O.) [dschoonmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thinkn if there had been any escalation from that point, I'd have simply gotten on my radio and contacted the RD and explained the situation to him and let him make the call. I'm sure, knowing my normal disposition, he'd have backed me up completely. Fortunately that didn't need to happen.

Other than this issue, as I understand it, participants seemed to really enjoyt the race. I've competed in several and volunteered at several of this RD's races and can say that this is a guy who goes way out of his way to be accomodating to the participants and the volunteers. Absolutely a first-class person and race organization.

Jason

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The LA Triathlon is a point to point race as well and the first couple of years the T1 bags were a nightmare to retrieve at the finish. So we started handing them off to a family or friend as we ran of out the transition area. If this couple had such urgency then the woman racing could have thrown the bag to her man before she ran to the mount line. It was never your issue and I'm so sorry you got tangled up with him.
Thanks for volunteering - this sport would end without you.
Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry you had such a bad experience with one bad racer (well - her husband). I did the race and the volunteers were great.

I volunteer at a lot of races and there always seems to be one racer that you remember. At the last race I worked, a racer decided to drop out during the bike. She went and packed her stuff into her car - and then wanted to drive head on into bikers coming down a hill. She didn't agree with me that it might not be a good idea.

I try to remember all of the other racers who were positive and thanked me for volunteering.
Quote Reply