Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations
Quote | Reply
Just picked up a new set of 808s, and I seem to recall/hear somewhere that there are certain tires that simply don't fit well on the rims. I'm talking clinchers here...Any one have some experience/recommendations??
Quote Reply
Re: Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations [jnielsen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Continental Attack/Force tires on my 404's. They're kind of tight-fitting, but I like the tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Vittoria Corsa Evo-CX's on my 606's, they are sweet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i echo JP Vittoria comments, i rubbed thumb blisters trying to get a pair of Michelins on my 404s

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michelin Pro races are fast and durable. One puncture in 3 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Verdstein Fortezza's on my 404 clinchers. Easy on and off, light weight, ride well, and wear like iron. They are the only tires I use on four bicycles. And, you can find good deals on them at this time.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any clincher tire 20-23mm wide will yield optimal aerodynamics with your wheelset. As for the tight fitting tire issue, we recommend using the thinnest rim strip you can find (not Velox, it's too thick). Using Rox or Michelin rim strips will give you up to 1mm extra clearance when installing the tire.

Enjoy your wheels!

Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations [joshatzipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you may also want to suggest this, given that most zipps don't even have many spoke holes.

i have 808s that i used the velox veloplugs on (so no rimstrip). the plugs work great and my tight continentals fit fine. and i get to lose a few grams on each wheel...

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg X: Nov 11, 05 11:42
Quote Reply
Re: Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

Years ago I trained on more heavy duty tires like the Specialized Armadillo's and the Continental 1000's - real training tires and not racing tires per say. However, more recently I have been using the Michelin Pro Race tires for all riding and I have pounded the crap out of them with zero flats. I would still race on tubular's but if I was going to use clinchers, these would be my choice.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations [joshatzipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any clincher tire 20-23mm wide will yield optimal aerodynamics with your wheelset. As for the tight fitting tire issue, we recommend using the thinnest rim strip you can find (not Velox, it's too thick). Using Rox or Michelin rim strips will give you up to 1mm extra clearance when installing the tire.

Enjoy your wheels!

Josh

Wait a minute -- how does rim strip thickness affect how tightly the tire bead fits around the rim circumference? The bead doesn't sit anywhere near the rim strip. What am I missing here?
Quote Reply
Re: Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thickness of the rim strip can affect ease of installation, some tire/rim/rimstrip combinations can be a bear to mount, others a piece of cake.
Quote Reply
Re: Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where does one get these Veloplugs? If its anywhere in Greenwich Village or SF, this is a fraternity joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I use Continental Attack/Force tires on my 404's. They're kind of tight-fitting, but I like the tires.
Another vote for this one...I like mine on this wheel.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations [EWH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Clincher tires for Zipp 808s - recommendations [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THANKS!
Quote Reply