Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clark Lake Race Report (long)
Quote | Reply
Clark Lake, MI – The air, the water, and the racing was hot at the Clark Lake Lion’s Triathlon and Duathlon. Nearly 500 athletes braved the muggy conditions and non-wetsuit swim to complete the .5 mile swim, 13 mile bike, and 4 mile run. Joe Deighan finished ahead of Matt Wehrman in their first head to head meeting. I was able to sneak in between them to finish 2nd after starting in the 3rd wave and fighting my way through the crowds. Ann Marie Phillips charged through the swim and bike and then held strong on the run to finish ahead of a rapidly closing Cheryl Klotkowski.

Steve Fetyko led the 1st wave out of the water in 10:48 with Joe 40 seconds behind, and Matt another 24 seconds back. Todd Briggs made a surprise showing and jumped out to the lead of the 3rd wave with a 10:51. I wasn’t too far behind after carefully picking my way through and around the women’s wave.

Steve powered ahead on the bike to be the first person on the run course. Joe was just a minute behind after a strong bike, and was able to pull away from Matt, who started the run 1:28 behind Joe. When we start in the same wave, it usually takes a little while for me to catch Steve on the bike, and Sunday, it probably wouldn’t have happened until very late in the bike. I had the fastest bike split with a 31:13 @ 25 mph and would have been just ahead of Steve. Todd had an excellent bike also and would have been 1 second behind Steve.

Triathlons usually come down to the run, and it was no different at Clark Lake. Matt and Joe ran sub 6 minute pace when most others were struggling just to breathe. Matt had the fastest run with a 23:35, but Joe’s 23:59 was enough to keep him in the front with a 1:10:09 finishing time. My sub 27 minute run and 1:11:07 finish was enough squeeze in between Joe and Matt, who finished in 1:11:13. Steve ran a 28:35 and fell to 6th.

There was plenty of food and drink afterwards, and the awards were useful items; a Tour de France waterbottle, socks, and a mini CO2 inflator. Steve, me, and Matt all won certificates for a pair of Brooks shoes for winning the primes. Skip Wilcox and his crew did a fantastic job with this race, and it’s definitely one to.
Quote Reply
Re: Clark Lake Race Report (long) [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are some cool prices....stuff you can actually use, I like that!

Thanks for the report! And your right, it does come down to the run....I'm screwed ;)

-bcreager
Quote Reply