Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc...
Quote | Reply
For you guys living in the desert, do you have any sinus issues? First 5 years here, I've had very mild allergies/asthma/sinus infections but this year is nasty.
At least one bad week, every week since october.
2 months of antibiotics (augmentin XR) and 1 more week with zpac and I still have some residual sinus issues.

Anyone has suggestions (besides moving to Seattle)? In particular alternative medecine suggestions...I think I've got as much med as I can take right now.

oh...and yes...I know neti pot...started...it's gross, but it helps, albeit temporarily.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to an ENT. That sounds exactly like me a couple years ago. I had a CT scan and had pollyps in my sinuses (conglomerations of nastiness) as well as a deviated septum. Nothing was able to drain out of my schnoz. I had surgery and the problem is gone. I also breathe alot easier and no longer snore.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had similar sinus issues for about 7 years. I live in MI so the desert might contribute to your problem but certainly is not the sole cause.

Neti pot for sure (I am finally used to it). My ENT really thinks a couple of months of sinus cleansing will go a long way for me. So for now I am holding off on surgery.

Good Luck,
Bernie

Quote | Reply
after every swim: saline spray up the nose.

also get acquainted with a neti pot and put a humidifier in your house.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that was done a long time ago to rule polyps out and to see how bad the sinus infection was. CT scan in nov to see how it was, then again after 4 weeks of augmentin XR, and it looks like after another 4 weeks of XR + the zpack I will have another one...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

My winter here in NC is similar. I usually get the maxillary sinus infiect once every 3-5 years, but have had 2 in the last couple of months. I am on the augmentin XR right now too. I have had the CT and the sinuses appear to be normal.

I just started the neti pot this weekend. I would like to hear any reports from anyone using the neti long term.

Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the first CT scan showed all 4 main sinuses being infected as well as the ethmoid sinuses. the second 1 sinus remained infected...
neti does really help though. a lot better today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i had to look up neti pot. I thought this photo was amusing

Quote | Reply
I know it's just a slip, but still kind of struck me as funny, especially since it probably feels to you just how you typed it:

"At least one bad week, every week since october."

Hope you get it figured out...

Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, yes...it's an error... ;-)
if you have sinus infections, I'm selling a used neti pot though ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you have sinus infections, I'm selling a used neti pot though ;-)

Gross! Take it to the classifieds LOL

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a low-grade sinus infection from mid-April 06 until December, although my *sshole GP didn't believe me. It wasn't horrible but I couldn't sleep well because I couldn't breathe well while laying down. I had to get some super strong antibiotics for a separate infection in early Dec, and WHAMMO my sinuses were clear for the first time in 6 months. Stress also doesn't help with fighting infections. ;-) AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Senor! You may want to see an allergist. Maybe you've developed an allergy to all those cottonwoods and bermuda grass, or whatever.

All those students are spreading stuff all around you, too. that can make recovery difficult.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sinuses are only bothering me at night ... keeping me from sleeping. My wife got tremendous relief from sinus/allergy issues through accupuncture. I just had my first treatment last Friday. I'll let you know how it goes. No miracle cure yet.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same thing for almost twenty years... come October when the cold fronts blew whatever it was I was allergic to down from the North... allergic reactions followed by sinus infections... until I started using the Neti pot... I haven't had a sinus infection since.

In Reply To:
For you guys living in the desert, do you have any sinus issues? First 5 years here, I've had very mild allergies/asthma/sinus infections but this year is nasty.
At least one bad week, every week since october.
2 months of antibiotics (augmentin XR) and 1 more week with zpac and I still have some residual sinus issues.

Anyone has suggestions (besides moving to Seattle)? In particular alternative medecine suggestions...I think I've got as much med as I can take right now.

oh...and yes...I know neti pot...started...it's gross, but it helps, albeit temporarily.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well... that and Claritin D ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You still putting in 100+ mile running weeks? A little scaling back on the torture might give you a chance to get ahead of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronDad,

I just started using the neti last weekend......on the back side of the infection. How long have you been using it and how does it work for prevention? Do you it regularly, or only when you feel symtoms coming on? Any experience and advice appreciated.....there has got to be a way to stay ahead of these darned infections.

Also, anyone have a good antibiotic recovery program? I continue feel "off" for at least several weeks after a course of antibiotics. Other than eating yogurt, any tips?

Many thanks,

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just another plug for the sinus wash... you can buy them at Walmart by the way... I had repeated sinus infections last year. My year was shot, and I was tired of taking all the antibiotics and prednisone. Doc diagnosed me with a deviated septum and recommended surgery. A friend recommended that I do sinus washing 2x a day. Since then, no more sinus infections, no more antibiotics, and surprisingly enough... no more allergy pills (Allegra). The big test is going to be oak pollen season, but even though you wouldnt want a date to see you wash sinus's, it seems to work exceptionally well for me.

I still cant breathe out of my nose though. Washing did not fix the septum!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Won't do you any good to move to Seattle either. Two things have really helped me, the saline solution... I blast myself 5-10 times a day, and I bought two air cleaners (Honeywell, about $120 at Home Depot), one for the living room and one for the bedroom. I noticed an immediate change in my sinuses for the better. Down side, have to clean the filters about once every two weeks.

Jay
Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [tree hugger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you do the sinus wash twice every day, or just if you feel symptoms, been in dust, etc?
Thanks,

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every day. Here in Virginia, we have mold all the time, and something blooming 9 months of the year.
I was on Allegra year round... I cant imagine getting thru the oak pollen without it, but I'm going to try.

The sinus kits at Walmart are called Neilmed... the bottle and packets are like 12 bucks, and then you just need to buy the salt packets. Or you could make your own saline. Sure beats my 30 deductible for the allergy meds alone! I hate taking drugs.

Added benefit has been that our winter has been wicked dry this year... the saline wash has kept the dry heat nose bleeds at bay as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it as soon as I feel it coming on and then for a few days after I feel fine... but most people I know do it every day.

Quote Reply
Re: Chronic sinus infections, dust, desert, sand, etc... [tree hugger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where in VA are you? I'm in Winston-Salen NC. My inlaws are in Roanoke....W-S to Roanoke is my all time favorite ride!

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im in Goochland, about 20 miles west of Richmond. We're more rolly than Roanoke, but great roads, although the Muffies are moving out and building McMansions.

We were just down in NC last weekend doing the Frostbite Ride for Dave Century... about 20 miles east of Raleigh. Great people, very poor area (saw people out doing laundry-- I mean, over a fire pit, wash tub, stirring with a stick kind of stuff.) No one yelled, honked, or threw anything at us, but man, do you guys have land fills down there or do people just use the sides of the road? Criminy, fall in a ditch there, and you'd be sure to be impaled on a bottle. I cant imagine why anyone would TRASH where they live. That was some beautiful country, and a great ride, for a great cause...(esophogeal cancer.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next