Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case
Quote | Reply
http://road.cc/...ared-salbutamol-case

Wow, just wow
Last edited by: marcag: Jul 2, 18 2:42
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fairly predictable. Don't think Sky would have fought this long if they didn't believe they would get him cleared, otherwise they'd have been better off settling as quickly and early as possible and getting him back to racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a man of science, I am very curious as to which expert opinion and evidence was considered.
To me, it would have to be really strong evidence to make me ignore the fact that in perfect and controlled conditions they couldn't replicate the same result.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
As a man of science, I am very curious as to which expert opinion and evidence was considered.
To me, it would have to be really strong evidence to make me ignore the fact that in perfect and controlled conditions they couldn't replicate the same result.

How do you know that it's a fact they couldn't replicate the result? It's possible they've had similar results previously and reached a similar conclusion, without it being leaked.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what was published. And using common sense, if they had reached the samenir similar result in the lab test they did after news were leaked, he would have been cleared way before Il Giro to everyone's relief. Instead, Sky kept adding more and more "expert opinions" to the proceedings - also widely reported. Physical evidence >>> testimony.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problem is it's always going to be nigh on impossible to replicate the conditions a rider is under in the middle of a 3 week race where they're pushing to the limits in heat and at altitude. Let alone replicating a kidney problem.

For me the really interesting data to see would be real world test results from Grand Tours. Salbutamol's a cheap test, as I understand it it's a standard test for all the leaders plus a random sample after every stage in all the big races. So that's a whole load of data they must have built up over the years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haters gonna hate.

I think we all knew that no matter the outcome there will always be people who will challenge the result whichever way it fell, in favour or against.

FWIW, I'm not naive enough to believe the peloton is clean. Is Froome whiter than white? Only he, and perhaps Team Sky management really know.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You reducing my argument to "haters gonna hate" isn't worthy of a response.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
Haters gonna hate.

I think we all knew that no matter the outcome there will always be people who will challenge the result whichever way it fell, in favour or against.

FWIW, I'm not naive enough to believe the peloton is clean. Is Froome whiter than white? Only he, and perhaps Team Sky management really know.

The question is if he is already black or only grey. That he is not white is pretty clear. And certainly not whiter than white.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny how nothing happens for 9 month, and everything clears out the day after ASO announces the ban.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
You reducing my argument to "haters gonna hate" isn't worthy of a response.
You don’t really have an argument. You don’t know anything other than what has been said by the UCI. Their statement is quite clear, and there has been a very rigorous process.

Looking at some of the statements it seems his all his test results from that race were given as evidence. Also that the UCI are following what WADA and their experts are saying.

Are you trying to say you know more than WADA?

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also struggling with the timing. Nothing I have read suggests any new information/data has become available in the past few days OTHER that the TdF moving to ban Froome from the race.

Team Sky's approach from day 1 was claiming WADA is a bunch of idiots who conduct inept test and are just on a witch hunt. I also have concerns about the overall integrity of WADA but my concerns surround the politics not the science. The headline appears to be that Sky and the UCI mounted pressure on WADA and WADA caved rather than defend its test. I'm not surprised but what is the point of drug testing if you aren't going to enforce the results?
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
Funny how nothing happens for 9 month, and everything clears out the day after ASO announces the ban.
WADA gave their decision to the UCI on the 28/06. So before ASO made their position clear. The UCI then had to publish their reasoning.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps the worst thing about this announcement is that it is done without any semblance of transparency. At this point, no internet pundit (on either side) should have to speculate about what was or was not considered. It should be in the open. It's the lack of transparency that hurt the Froome matter from the outset, that causes the super-secret TUE system to be suspect, and that damages the reputation of pro cycling. (Although, this many decades in, can we really say that anything HURTS the reputation of pro cycling anymore? Pro cycling has always "lacked transparency.")

All we know for sure is that Froome will be allowed to race in this year's TdF and that it is almost certain that this year's winner (as all winners before) will be using some kind of meds during the race. If you can accept those two facts, you can enjoy the spectacle that is the Tour de France. If these truths bother you, it's probably time to look for another sport . . . although . . . can you point to a clean one?
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [FlashBazbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
Perhaps the worst thing about this announcement is that it is done without any semblance of transparency. At this point, no internet pundit (on either side) should have to speculate about what was or was not considered. It should be in the open. It's the lack of transparency that hurt the Froome matter from the outset, that causes the super-secret TUE system to be suspect, and that damages the reputation of pro cycling. (Although, this many decades in, can we really say that anything HURTS the reputation of pro cycling anymore? Pro cycling has always "lacked transparency.")

All we know for sure is that Froome will be allowed to race in this year's TdF and that it is almost certain that this year's winner (as all winners before) will be using some kind of meds during the race. If you can accept those two facts, you can enjoy the spectacle that is the Tour de France. If these truths bother you, it's probably time to look for another sport . . . although . . . can you point to a clean one?

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this paragraph in the UCI statement is telling:

Quote:
After the evidentiary phase, Mr Froome requested additional information from WADA about the salbutamol regime. Following receipt of information from WADA, Mr Froome then filed his explanation for the abnormal result on 4 June 2018, together with significant additional expert evidence.

the final statement is also telling, the UCI is taking the piss out of the cycling fans
Quote:
The UCI hopes that the cycling world can now turn its focus to, and enjoy, the upcoming races on the cycling calendar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt I have ever heard of a corrupter decision than this one.
The UCI said that they wouldn't sort out his case before the Tour. The ASO ban him from starting, then 1 day later the UCI find him innocent, so that he can start.

Even if he didn't cheat, the system is corrupt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:
If these truths bother you, it's probably time to look for another sport . . . although . . . can you point to a clean one?

This is where I'm supposed to say "How about curling?" but... thanks, Alexander Krushelnitsky

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
nchristi wrote:
WADA gave their decision to the UCI on the 28/06. So before ASO made their position clear. The UCI then had to publish their reasoning.
They have published their statement but I wouldn't say I have seen any reasoning other than WADA have cleared him. It would be good to understand why they feel he followed the rules but had the AAF.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [Sun Wu Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sun Wu Kong wrote:
It would be good to understand why they feel he followed the rules but had the AAF.

There are quite a number of pro tour teams, and hundreds of riders, who would like to know the same thing. After all . . . if Froome did it legally to beat them in the Vuelta, they probably would like to have the same weapon in their arsenals. Is WADA willing to give up the recipe? (Is the legal limit for Salbutamol now, effectively, doubled? Does the same methodology apply to any other potentially performance-enhancing drugs? How do you say, "can of worms" in French?)
Last edited by: FlashBazbo: Jul 2, 18 4:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FlashBazbo wrote:

There is a bridge in Brooklyn that i can sell for really really really dirt cheap for the finder of this mythical clean sport. The rest of the world can keep bashing on cycling in the mean time. I mean IM Austria was just won yesterday by Michabel Weiss a former suspeded athlete which is the exact scenario as Vino sitting out his doping ban and winning the London Olympic Gold...or a post ban Brady, Gatlin, Contador or Valverde etc etc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually scared for Froome's safety if he chooses to ride.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
. I mean IM Austria was just won yesterday by Michabel Weiss a former suspeded athlete which is the exact scenario as Vino sitting out his doping ban and winning the London Olympic Gold...or a post ban Brady, Gatlin, Contador or Valverde etc etc

Then there is Lisa Hutthaler who was second lady - the wonderful triathlete that pushed her fellow teammate off a bike breaking her teeth and giving here long lasting injuries, so she could claim here spot in the Austrian team. That was before she was busted for drugs use, bribery and cheating. Why should Triathlon put up with these horrible people.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
I'm actually scared for Froome's safety if he chooses to ride.

There should be enough Sky fans on the road to beat up on anyone who harms any of their riders. I would pay good money to witness some of this on Alpe d'Huez.....they may need all 14 kilometers barricaded. That place will be a gong show on the Madeleine-Croix de Fer-Alpe d'Huez stage.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Chris Froome CLEARED in salbutamol case [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hold on there, Brady wasn’t suspended for doping.

--Chris
Quote Reply

Prev Next