Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chicago ITU Elites
Quote | Reply
Call me stupid, but I've been searching online for the ITU start-lists for the Pros and can't seem to find any info.

Does anyone have a link? Or know the top Pros that will be in Chicago? I'm thinking about going downtown to check it out on Sunday, but not sure I want to fight all the traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [terencejk05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes you will want to fight the traffic. Just go down and enjoy the elites tomorrow and sunday. You will not regret it.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh no Brownlees. Guessing that's CWG related. Still more than enough firepower to make it a great race though.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't see Groff or Hursey either - interesting.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [OkotoksLawyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

Excited to see Verzbicas!

I'm going to head down tomorrow for the Men's race. I live in Lincoln Park, so just going to take the brown line down.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder why. No CWG for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Groff pulled out with injury (nothing serious).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terencejk05 wrote:

Excited to see Verzbicas! .

It looks like the end of the road for LV. He doesn't swim anywhere near well enough to justify entry into this level of competition. Of course, his accident may be responsible (and we should never forget what a great recovery he has made) but it is hard to see any justification for funding him any longer.

I still remember his graceful run at Kitzbuhel back in 2012, although that was preceded by an uncompetitive swim and a similarly uncompetitive ride. And now the run has gone as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LV's tweet:

Congratulations @Jgomeznoya on another win. Couldn't escape my adversary today still overcoming what's left of nerve damage #temporarydefeat

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a spot in the bleachers for the last hour of the race, right near the finish. After watching the awards ceremony, I walked out towards the big white VIP tent and saw Lucas sitting in the shade looking very disappointed. His parents were with him as well. He looked like he weighed about 120lbs, super skinny.

Obviously he's not anywhere near what he was before his injury. I'm hoping he continues to improve, but you're right, he probably didn't belong in that race. He was down almost 2 minutes on the swim, about 5 minutes off the bike, and then never looked good on the run before dropping out 1/2 way through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've think LV has matured a lot since his injury on the mental side more than anything. I also think there is an "oh shit what now" feeling going on. I contend he just needs to learn to race and race in races where he can actually "race" (IE, lower level continental cups...2 races in the coming weeks in Toronto and Magog would be a great start). Doing an WTS event where you are swimming by yourself in the back and then maybe riding with 1 other person does absolutely nothing for your development.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Groff pulled out with injury (nothing serious).
This must have crushed Paulo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that is rock solid advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes a lot of sense to me. Hard to watch he and Pederson come out so far back. Alternating between watching from the grandstand and watching my son in the sprinkler, I didn't see when Pederson dropped the pack that he was pulling (with LV in it), but all the sudden they were behind him. I hope Lukas can continue recovering.

Talking to William Huffman after the race, I didn't realize how aggressive the swims could be. Sounds like plenty of intentional dunking, pushing, etc. That must magnify things for the weaker swimmers.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
terencejk05 wrote:

Excited to see Verzbicas! .

It looks like the end of the road for LV. He doesn't swim anywhere near well enough to justify entry into this level of competition. Of course, his accident may be responsible (and we should never forget what a great recovery he has made) but it is hard to see any justification for funding him any longer.

I still remember his graceful run at Kitzbuhel back in 2012, although that was preceded by an uncompetitive swim and a similarly uncompetitive ride. And now the run has gone as well.

I keep wondering if LV would meet the minimum disability threshold for ITU Paratriathlon (as an indication, amputation of one hand does). Triathlon entering the Paralympics for the first time in Rio.

FYI, the results of the sprint-distance Men's PT4 ITU Elite Paratriathlon race from Chicago (two outstanding Europeans not on the start list). http://wts.triathlon.org/...ational_event/266544
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [maristrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If LV is good enough to enter Elite ITU, even if he isn't performing well, he cannot conceivable claim to be a paralympian. And I'd hope that Lukas would agree that would be rather against the spirit of the whole enterprise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
If LV is good enough to enter Elite ITU, even if he isn't performing well, he cannot conceivable claim to be a paralympian. And I'd hope that Lukas would agree that would be rather against the spirit of the whole enterprise.

I have to disagree with you here. Exhibit A being Oscar Pistorius racing both Olympics and Paralympics in the same year. I can't imagine he'll be the last, especially since he didn't even win gold in the 200 at Paralympics.

On the other hand, I'd have a hard time imagining Lukas would meet standards, but I truly don't know.

My gut says Lukas wouldn't choose to race Paralympics even if he did qualify, but he seems pretty tight with Bob Babbitt. Among many other things Babbitt co-founded Challenged Athletes Foundation, so maybe he'd try to soften Lukas's heart.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The paralympics are for people, like Pistorius, who have limbs missing and similar major issues. There is a great dignity to it. LV just does not fall into that category: he is recovering slowly in any case whereas Pistorius was never going to grow new feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if he'd qualify or not. This basic list here of categories for Paralympics is much broader than missing limbs. Sounds like we agree that participation in one does not disqualify a person from participation in the other, assuming they meet the relevant criteria.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One important part of Paratriathlon eligibility is that the disability must be permanent. If he's already starting to recover from the crash he may have trouble classifying.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know of three 2012 Paralympians selected for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in open elite events - N Irish sprinter Jason Smyth, English cyclist Sarah Storey and Australian table tennis player Melissa Tapper. Australian Paralympic cyclist Michael Gallagher is also (as of now) the fastest Masters pursuiter in history.

Stefan Daniel, the winner of that PT4 race in Chicago, is a teenager (born 1997). He raced the PATCO Youth Olympic Games qualifier and PATCO Junior North American Championships.

I don't know if Lukas V would meet minimum disability, but he *might*. A person I know with a broadly similar impairment was found ineligible but very close; decision to be reviewed. Need to be at least 2 years post injury before you can be classified - Lukas is almost but not quite 2 years post, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago ITU Elites [maristrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An interesting article that explains a lot:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...series-bicycle-crash
Quote Reply