Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Check out the blog...
Quote | Reply
Editorial on how we're getting slower: http://biketestblog.blogspot.com/...s-editorial-for.html

NVO Components ATS Stem review finished: http://biketestblog.blogspot.com/...stem-perfect-10.html

Also, updates on project Future/Retro.
Quote Reply
Re: Check out the blog... [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post. The only problem is that Jo/e Average only has limited training time. For many of us, more time on the bike equals less time running or swimming. But I do agree that more training time on the bike likely would translate into faster bike splits.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Bunnyman,

your test of the ATS stem is very interesting ... I saw some other devices to solve a too short steerer tube but it was a 150-200 g weight penalty and not so nice !

Great product ... I'll keep it in mind, in case ;-))
Quote Reply
Re: Check out the blog... [TheBigFrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, this doesn't solve the problem of too short of steerer, it merely makes running a large number of stack washers safer.

The weight penalty of this system is paltry for the benefits you get out of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, well, I thought it could be useful to compensate 2 to 5 mm of steerer if it's to short ... nice product, anyway ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to agree with you on getting slower. 15 years ago in college I was running low 35's for a 10K and could barely get into the top 20 in most local races. Now low 35's would win a few local 10K races. I see the same in triathlon. For example the Trisport Races in Ontario...guys like Fleck, Rich Browne, Vince Berretta, Matt P. G, Frank Clarke ...etc are/were light years ahead of most of the "elites" racing in the series today.

Personally I think it is the move away from volume based training to more "quality" based training.
Quote Reply
Re: Check out the blog... [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would definitely say so. Back in my day (which wasn't that long ago), the "quality training" was just starting. In some ways, I was faster with quality, but quantity still ruled. If I can get this healing thing going with m back, I will be happy as hell to train in large volumes. I have now been married long enough this time to where wifey isn't as needy when it comes to me being away.
Quote Reply
Re: Check out the blog... [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is tough finding time. But I have looked over some coaching protocols, and they don't even recommend cycling to the gym or to work. That would give atleast a bit more volume to the training schedule. I also see way too many rest days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
might be the fact the in the early days, the "average joe" that entered an IM distance race wasn't really average. only the really dedicated, skilled, and highly trained triathletes were entereing IM disatnce races.

with the abundance of new races every year, online coaching, tons and tons of cool gear to buy, more and more true "average joes" are racing in IM distance races.

Jago
"Slow... but mellow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know... it's funny. I thought about how to get "extra cycling" time in after I posted my reply... and those exact examples came to mind. I suppose that where there's a will, there's a way.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: Check out the blog... [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly.

I don't sound heartless, but one can find the way if they really wanted to. Sounds like you're on the right track.
Quote Reply
Re: Check out the blog... [Trevor S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were they really light years ahead of people such as Simon Whitfield, Jasper Blake, Lisa Bentley, Lori Bowden and Natasha Filliol that have come out of the Trisport series in more recent years? ;-)

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Check out the blog... [mikedonia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Trisports series in Ontario used to be the hotbed of talent in Canada as you know Mike, so Trevor S is half right - however if it's less competitive now in Ontario it isn't because the athletes have gotten slower, it's because they've all moved out to BC (including all those you've mentioned, save bentley) :-)

Joel

>>>>
JoelFilliol.com - check out the Real Coaching Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Check out the blog... [mikedonia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Were they really light years ahead of people such as Simon Whitfield, Jasper Blake, Lisa Bentley, Lori Bowden and Natasha Filliol that have come out of the Trisport series in more recent years? ;-)

Mike
I did say most not all. :-) In general just looking at the top 10 results from 15-17 years ago (I do still have some) the times were generally faster when comparing races.
Quote Reply