Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheap Bike with good wheels or expensive bike with cheap wheels
Quote | Reply
I have been saving up for a Triathlon bike. Last year I just used a road bike with clip on aerobars, which was ok, but not ideal. For multiple halves and a full distance this year I want a real tri bike.
I have been scouring the internet for the best options, but I have just found a 2014 Canyon Speedmax Al 8.0 for 850€.

This is much less than I was planning on spending (2000€-2500€) but it would mean that I have plenty left over to get a power meter and a good set of aerowheels.

So the question is, should I buy the Canyon and get a power meter and 1000€ set of wheels, or would I be better served continuing the search, and possible getting a Stevens Trofeo or alike...?

Opinions would be much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bike with good wheels or expensive bike with cheap wheels [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast bike, there's a reason you see so many of them in Germany.

If it fits you get it in a heartbeat!

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bike with good wheels or expensive bike with cheap wheels [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy the Canyon if it fits you, good wheels and a power meter will make you faster than an expensive frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a bike that gives you the most flexibility to set yourself up. If you fit well on the cheap candidate, then you'll have cash to spend on other things to make you faster.

Keep in mind the rider is nearly all (80%+) of the aerodynamic resistance on a bike. Spend money getting your body aerodynamically set up well, then worry about the relatively small gains offered by wheels. So my answer is "cheap bike with cheap wheels, then do other things"

In order, here's how I'd spend money on aerodynamics (trying to maximize bang for buck. It is likely 7 has more effect than 6, but it is also more expensive)
1) Entry-level tri bike
2) Time in basement fiddling with bike settings
3) Aero helmet
4) Wheelcover for rear wheel
5) Fit session or windtunnel time
6) Low-rolling-resistance racing tires and tubes
7) Some flavour of deep front wheel

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Mar 6, 15 5:30
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap Bike with good wheels or expensive bike with cheap wheels [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot for the replies, makes me feel more confident of my decision.
I was thinking of getting a proper bike fit done, an aero helmet, a power meter and deep rim wheels. Not quite sure about which wheels and power meter, but I have time for that yet. Maybe a powertap rear wheel with wheel cover and deep rim front wheel...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for both the Canyon and the idea of getting a cheap bike and then upgrading the wheels. Apart from anything else it's always useful having a spare, cheap set of wheels around the place for training and on which you can run cheap, sturdy tires.
Quote Reply