Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Challenge Penticton
Quote | Reply
Anyone heard anything about numbers for this year's race? I'm guessing there will be more participants in the half distance as there seems to be an increase at those races everywhere. Really curious how registration for the full is going. There doesn't seem to be any info on their website (no participant list).
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [ridinggiants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I'm in and so is a friend of mine. So, if you are also registered, that makes 3.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [DJHollingsworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, then. At our local community centre they require at least 3 participants in order to proceed with a program. So, we are good to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what the numbers are like too.

I've been thinking of registering for the half. ( I'd like to do the full, but have been told to wait til next year since I tore my left meniscus and quad last year )

Would be nice if it was easier to find the numbers!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
came out of retirement last year and did the half at challenge penticton and it was awesome. Swim was interesting as those participating in the half joined up with the full distance swimmers based on the swim course layout. Bike course is quite challenging and scenic. Looks like run has changed this year resulting in the avoidance of some of the rollers along skaha. Really great vibe to the event and most importantly, there was a beer garden right next to the finishing chute. I'm going to cram in some training with the intent of doing the race again, as well as encourage some local okanaganites to sign up. There also appeared to be quite a few relay teams for both full and half so it did have that feel that there was quite a bit of participation (really had to watch the bike length spacing on the bike course down to Oliver, then it cleared up).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:

I've been thinking of registering for the half. ( I'd like to do the full, but have been told to wait til next year since I tore my left meniscus and quad last year )

You probably don't want to advertise you only have 200 participants.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, you are so predictable!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [davetri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been called worse.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
dfquigley wrote:

You probably don't want to advertise you only have 200 participants.

True enough ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep checking the website for any sign of life ... today I looked at the course and the bike course has changed. A lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridinggiants wrote:
I keep checking the website for any sign of life ... today I looked at the course and the bike course has changed. A lot.

YES!!!!!!!!!

I have wanted them to use that route for YEARS. It also connects in with the half course... although all half participants should be through before the first full cyclist.
Twin Lakes/White Lake is way more scenic.
It also reduces traffic disruptions in Penticton on race day.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm back again this year, just looked at the new Bike Route and I "think" the total climbing has decreased which is great for a lard ass like me. The ride down into OK falls will be super fast. And then a bit of a Sting as you climb out of OK Falls. That will not be easy. Looks like a bit of dodging some runners on Main Street, nothing new although the ride along the East side will be much more pleasant than the ride on the West.

I have mixed feelings about the run. I liked the half last year with the 2 "bumps" in place before the half way point (even if I did walk them) but those are now gone so a flatter course. And I love the run along the canal so that'll be nice. Not sure about the finish line, all that twisting and turning running onto the pier, past the hooded merganser (which is narrow) and into the finish chute. Have to see it. I really liked last year, start stretching your legs out at Pen Hi and run downhill to the finish.

Anyway, looking forward to it.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
The ride down into OK falls will be super fast. And then a bit of a Sting as you climb out of OK Falls. That will not be easy.

Which hill are you thinking of? The hills going North on Eastside Drive are not that bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The run finish emulates the finish at Roth, which is twisty, turny and narrow too... before you emerge into a finish stadium. I like it.

My least favorite part of the old bike course(s) was the descent past Kaleden. The hill out of OK falls is a minor bump. I just noticed the climb out of Oliver is different too.... not sure if I've ever ridden up that road before.

I'm not sure the reasoning for a lot of these changes, but I suspect decreasing traffic disruption was a major concern.

I'm registered for the half. Almost tempted to bump up to the full now. I know a bunch of people skipping Whistler this year and coming back to Penticton.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [vandave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vandave wrote:
BCDon wrote:
The ride down into OK falls will be super fast. And then a bit of a Sting as you climb out of OK Falls. That will not be easy.

Which hill are you thinking of? The hills going North on Eastside Drive are not that bad.

For the downhill I'm thinking of the main highway on the West side of town, down, around and across the bridge. For the uphill, that one short narrow section on the East side heading North with the blind right turn heading up to where the water tower used to be.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Richter and Yellow Lake still in - I have bad memories of that place from '99. Specifically around Yellow Lake. I might need to exercise some demons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbing seacrest hill road is always fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up, but have to roll over till next year. I hope it gets good numbers and they actually still put it on next year. IM CDA moved to the same or the weekend before for 2016 though - could be bad news for Challenge :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you see the changes they made to the half bike course as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triagain2 wrote:
Climbing seacrest hill road is always fun!

Can you provide any details about Seacrest Hill Road.

As per Google Maps Street View, it looks like "The Climb" starts at Horsetail Road and ends at Covert Place which makes it about 1K in length.

Any idea as to the average grade for this section?

Any idea as to the steepest grade for this section?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [Bill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the climb is around 1km perhaps. it s almost at the same grade the all way. i would think 13-15%? its the kind of climb i can only do doing curve into the road. it s going to add to the personality of this course as it s a brutal hill but as it s not too long.... wont kill anyone

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ridinggiants wrote:
Okay, then. At our local community centre they require at least 3 participants in order to proceed with a program. So, we are good to go.

I'm in for the full so 4 of us.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dfquigley wrote:

Yup. Looking forward to it. All positive changes, IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
dfquigley wrote:

Yup. Looking forward to it. All positive changes, IMO.

I just checked out the new section of the bike course on saturday, it was a pretty nice ride! :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next