Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Almere-Amsterdam
Quote | Reply
Thinking of doing this Challenge in 2015. Anyone raced this race last weekend? How was it? Any recommendations on this race?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Almere-Amsterdam [Steve_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be careful with the local baked goods when carb loading
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race in 2008 as the LD world championships. Great race, well run, really cool area. No hills but the wind is brutal. Bonus, the dutch speak english. GO to amsterdam the day after the race to walk around and have some recovery "items"
What struck me is that Almere was built in the 60's so it is modern. You go from that to ancient Amsterdam is really cool!

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in Almere in 2008 at the end of August as well for ITU Long Course Worlds. It looks as though the courses have changed from 2008; for example, we swam in the main 'lake' connected to the North Sea, not the enclosed lake in town. jw67 is correct, course is flat, but conditions usually very windy (there are many wind turbines in the area). The day we raced was actually pretty warm, air temp. maybe 80 degrees.

I had an awesome experience there. Many of the Dutch speak English. I spent three nights in Amsterdam afterwards - great city, ~ 30 min. from Almere by train.

Let me know if you want any more info.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Almere-Amsterdam [rogstl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the 70.3 this weekend and is perfectly organized with top bike and run tracks. Great atmosphere and would certainly advise to do this challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Almere-Amsterdam [frankis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frankis wrote:
I'd be careful with the local baked goods when carb loading

Even as a dutchman, I really had to think about this for a minute ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Almere-Amsterdam [wilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for clearly demonstrating the deleterious effects of long-term carbohydrate loading in Amsterdam. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Almere-Amsterdam [frankis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I had that one coming ;-)

On topic: I went to Challenge Almere last weekend to support some teammates who raced there. As far as I know it is wel organised, the only possible problem could be the weather. It is Holland, so the weather could be somewhere between sunny and 25 degrees Celsius (this year) or 10 degrees Celsius and pouring rain (last year).
Quote Reply