Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo choice question - P3C, P2C, P2SL
Quote | Reply
My son had a P3SL that we purchased NOS at the start of the 2006 season for TT use. He won virtually every race he did on it, incuding nationals. Unfortunately, he crashed at junior worlds and destroyed the bike. Our first plan was to replace the frame with a P2SL for his older brother since the younger one was going to move up to a team that would supply a bike. Now, his injuries are turning out to be more severe than originally understood (collarbone healed, but nerve damage prohibiting movement of left arm) so he may not go to the new team.

Cervelo is now offering us three options: P2SL, P2C or P3C. Pricing attractive on all and I can afford any of them.

I'd be interested in comments on the following:

Choice - My first inclination is toward the P2C. Looks to have most of the aero advantage of the P3C but obviously quite a bit cheaper. However, it may not have as good value for resale purposes. Or will it?

Sizing - The 58 cm P3SL was a good fit. What does this imply for sizing of the new bikes? I'm not sure what stock our LBS has left for fitting and I don't know whether they even carried the P2C although its measurements look identical to the P2SL. Are there any rules of thumb that would suggest what size should work? At 6' 2", the 58 seems large compared to what pros are riding and what I ride (1/2" smaller and on 56 P2SL).

The bike will be used for TT's. Set up will be fairly aggressive since maximum ride time will be only a little over an hour (less if ridden by #2 son).
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo choice question - P3C, P2C, P2SL [c50jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump. Comments anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has been a couple of months since I have been in Big Wheel Bikes in Arlington, VA, but the last time I was there they still had a P3SL. They are basically a shop which is trying to do it all (kids bikes with training wheels thru high end tri-bikes). The result is while attempting to specialize at everything they end up specializing at nothing. Result is there are some nice high end bikes which sit around their shop and never sell, because the salesmen have no clue how nice the bikes are. Last time I was there, there was a P3SL. It is possible it was a 9-speed build, but I do not know for sure. Call and ask about the bike, if it is the right size frame, then perhaps you can negotiate with the owner. It is amazing they have not sold that bike...

http://www.bigwheelbikes.com/arlington.htm

Other than that, this shop really doesn't know much about tri. Only reason for recommendation is to help you find a possible new P3SL.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo choice question - P3C, P2C, P2SL [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip but we're looking for frame only and Cervelo is offering a good deal on any of the frames. I'm looking for someone who knows the different models to comment on their relative merits and sizing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you can afford any of them, get the p3c. You wont have to refit much at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3C.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted a carbon bike, and I went with P2C instead of P3C even though I, too could afford it. I found the differences negligable for a racer of my ambition.

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might make the decision easier. Both the P2SL and P2C have a 160mm headtube. The P3C has a 145mm headtube. If you want an aggressive the P3C allows a more aggressive position. Of course, if you son(s) have been riding the P3SL with spacers it is probably a moot point As the difference between the P2 and P3 headtube is less than two spacers.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo choice question - P3C, P2C, P2SL [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[replyAs the difference between the P2 and P3 headtube is less than two spacers.[/reply]

and a thousand bucks...;-)

Being able to tell your friends you bought a P3C? Priceless!

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo choice question - P3C, P2C, P2SL [Endorphinjunkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah p3c is yesterdays new though. If money is no issue, be a real man and buy the Felt DA.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo choice question - P3C, P2C, P2SL [str8dum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the 1st, 2nd, and 4th place finishers in the TT World Championships aboard the P3C are also 'yesterdays news'. Hmmm... From the P2C to the P3C you drop a little weight, gain a little stiffness, and gain a good deal of aerodynamics. There's a reason the P3C is copied by so many, as was the P2 previously.

Quote | Reply
If you want to go with the latest fad go with the Felt, if you want to ride faster and win races you know the answer, P3C.

It's not how you start, it's how you finish
Quote Reply