Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo S5 and Flo 90
Quote | Reply
Just picked up an S5 recently and tried putting my Flo 90 on the rear and I'm getting a lot of wheel rub. Too much to actually use it. I'm running conti GP2000 SII x 23.

Anyone have any luck here or am I SOL?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo S5 and Flo 90 [sprimack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sprimack wrote:
Just picked up an S5 recently and tried putting my Flo 90 on the rear and I'm getting a lot of wheel rub. Too much to actually use it. I'm running conti GP2000 SII x 23.

Thanks

Let me see if I can help. A couple questions.

1. It appears you were using this wheel with another frame and did not have the issue. Is that correct?
2. Where are you getting the rub? Is the tire rubbing the frame (if so where), the brake pad rubbing the brake track, or the body of the rim rubbing the frame?

Also, a friend of mine had an S5 that had a similar issue. I personally worked on his bike and I solved the problem by fixing his rear brake. The rear brake was moving under load and causing the wheel to rub. The rear brake on the S5 is a different design, and some of the bolts had come lose. After taking the brake apart and retightening the bolts the brake stopped moving and the rubbing issue was fixed.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sprimack wrote:

Thanks

The GP4KSII is tall enough to cause this issue on the original S5 until the trie tread wears down a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo S5 and Flo 90 [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris

Thanks for the response.

It's a 2013 Cervelo S5. I used the flos on my tri bike (cannondale slice) without any problem.

I also am using the stock shimano wheels with another pair of Conti GP 2000 s2 x 23 on the S5 without any problem. Would the flo 90 increase the height of the wheel. I would have thought tire size is consistent and not dependent on the rim size. Maybe I'm wrong.

The rear wheel on the S5 is rubbing on the frame (not the brake) on the underside of wheelwell. It's almost as if the tire is too tall because there's simply not enough clearance to fit.

I'll try to snap a pic tonight or tomorrow if that helps.

Would love to find a resolution as I'm a big fan of these wheels. Please let men know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bead width of the rim has a pretty dramatic effect on tire size and shape. The wider bead width of the FLO will result in your same tire having a larger outer diameter than it would when installed on a narrower rim. High tire pressures also result in both wider and taller tires, so it's likely a combination of 0.5mm here and 0.5mm there and next thing you know, you're rubbing.

We have some info on this in our blog series on tires/wheels/pressure but the bulk of it can be seen in the graph below. The takeaway here is that wider is also taller:

More info on this HERE if you are interested.

M

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sprimack wrote:
Chris

Thanks for the response.

It's a 2013 Cervelo S5. I used the flos on my tri bike (cannondale slice) without any problem.

I also am using the stock shimano wheels with another pair of Conti GP 2000 s2 x 23 on the S5 without any problem. Would the flo 90 increase the height of the wheel. I would have thought tire size is consistent and not dependent on the rim size. Maybe I'm wrong.

The rear wheel on the S5 is rubbing on the frame (not the brake) on the underside of wheelwell. It's almost as if the tire is too tall because there's simply not enough clearance to fit.

I'll try to snap a pic tonight or tomorrow if that helps.

Would love to find a resolution as I'm a big fan of these wheels. Please let men know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again

The GP4000s II is known to be a rather "tall" tire. Going with what Josh is talking about, what pressure are you running?

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 105. I'm about 175/80 lbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris-

Problem solved. Wheelset sold (quickly). I guess it means these wheels are highly desirable.
Can you pm me with your contact info as I'd love to talk to discuss other Flo options and whether the 30, 45 or 60s might work better.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The continental gp4k is incompatible with the older S5. I found the Zipp Tangente speed 23c to be a good fit.
Quote Reply