Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX
Quote | Reply
Hello
I am riding 2015 Cervelo P3 and looking for bike upgrade
Deciding between Canyon CF SLX and Cervelo P5 AXS 1x
The biggest Canyon advantage is drinking system integration and nice and adjustable cockpit
Cervelo? Could be 1kg lighter, but can not find official weight
What are Your pros/cons to both these bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX [hrkama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon all day.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the problem is getting a Canyon. I waited 18months. zip available for Canada. i went P5 and I am very happy. Handles amazing, its light, tonne of adjustability in the cockpit. I found a Shimano Di2 version as well. And it is UCI legal if I want to do some TTs.

That said I definitely wish for the hydration integration.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello
What is your Cervelo weight?
The only thing I dislike about canyon is weight
It specs 9.5kg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am looking at these bikes. Canyon does have better availability now if you are looking for the Di2 SLX, they are always adding stock every few weeks for delivery usually a few weeks/months ahead. And I think the AXS 1x is due for stock in February.

Both bikes spec wise are almost identical, but I'd give the edge to the Speedmax as they do spec with better wheels, but it's a marginal edge.
For me, the P5 is dated being that it was last updated in 2019. If Cervelo follows a 6 year model cycle it would be due for a redesign for 2025 and I would hate to buy the last model year of the old design, but thats just me. For comparison, the Speedmax was new in 2021. Speedmax does have the better integration and could arguably be labelled as a true tru bike given that it's non-UCI legal, fully integrated, but that is open to interpretation. The biggest advantage is price, at least for me in Canadian $, the Speedmax AXS 1x is 15% less than the same 1x spec P5, thats some good savings.
The downside of the Speedmax is 6yr warranty and no LBS support vs Cervelo's lifetime warranty.
Last edited by: TriguyRy: Nov 28, 23 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used one of those apps/extension that monitor website changes. Paid $10 and got a text it was available on a Friday night 10p. Ended up ordered within a week or two of setting the app up

Went from a p5d to canyon.

Both are awesome.
P5d. Steers like a road bike and climbs a little better

Canyon: seems to have better road connection. Better storage. Internal bladder seems okay but can be a pain in the ass to fill during a race. Itā€™s more art to fill it than science.

My cda per BBS was better with the canyon but could have just been the fit

All in all I prefer the Canyon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes thanks for the thoughts
I also thing that Cervelo is a bit outdated
But what do You think about CUBE?
https://www.cube.eu/bikes/road/triathlon-time-trial/aerium
Seems that the integration is made super and I can get it 7400 and 8400 (sram force or dura-ace)
My problem with cube is that hydration looks "plastic" and overall bike look is not great.
And it is heavy 9.7kg dura-ace version (with hydration)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano ultegra di2 with theDT swiss 34mm wheels, with tubes, bottle, pedals: 20.1lbs.

Lighter with my tubeless HEDs i suspect.

But i am comparing to riding my Trek SC rim brake before which was a FKN tank.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX [TriguyRy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyRy wrote:
....at least for me in Canadian $, the Speedmax AXS 1x is 15% less than the same 1x spec P5, thats some good savings.

Don't forget to include the provincial sales tax, 13% duty charge, and courier brokerage fee, that you will likely pay when importing the canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been doing a lot of research on this as I was close to buying a Canyon, seems people arenā€™t getting charged duty anymore which is welcoming news. The last few months on Reddit, many people are getting their bikes into Canada duty free. Canyon also mentions when you go through the ordering process, your cart shows ā€œmost bikes imported into Canada are free of dutyā€ seems they are now listing country of origin as Germany. Encouraging news for Canadians. Itā€™s doubtful I would buy one, far too many issues with warranty and service.
Last edited by: TriguyRy: Nov 30, 23 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The adjustability of the Canyon cockpit is quite overrated, armpads go max 20 cm width but reach is in a lot of cases not long enough. Thatā€™s why a lot of proā€™s ride with the extended tilt spacer from Radsport Ibert.
Default it also lacks tilt adjustability.

The drinking system, as the rest them with other brands, suck ;-)

But if adjustability of the cockpit is key for you the Cervelo is much better.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you ride with a lot of reach? Then it's Cervelo. If not then it may be either. How much reach do you like/need/want

never decide if one should buy Brand X or Brand Y. First decide if Brand X or brand Y hit your pad X/Y and stack/reach #s.

It's easier to make a bike taller, it's harder to make a bike longer beyond a certain point. There is a reason so many canyon sponsored riders are getting custom front ends.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a P5D currently. And have been trying to buy a Cube frameset via a friend in Germany, Iā€™m in the USA. 3 dealers later, numerous emails to cube and still donā€™t have one. I gave up. If it is that hard to spend money with a company I lose interest quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are spending more than $3K on a bike that doesn't have a threaded bottom bracket, please take the extra money and donate it to a good charity.

Gosh, the Canyon is hot. But OMG. $8-12K for a press fit BB. FML.

================
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX [sol-rosenberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting šŸ§
Why is that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you like squeaks? or high-maintenance parts?

Some engineer in the 90s was like, hey, if we remove the threads from the bottom bracket we can make our frames lighter and sell it as such. We'll just move the weight to the press fit bottom bracket. So the net weight will be the same or more, but we can market our frames as lighter. Two years later, we can't figure out why our drivetrains are noisy. Oh, it's from press fit bottom brackets.

Get yourself a TT bike with a threaded bottom bracket, if you want to keep it more than 2-3 years.

================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a wheels manufacturing or token thread together BB and some BB install gap filler compound. Those two things and pressfit bottom brackets work fine. Much ado about nothing IME.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or BBinfinite. Last time my household had a squeak on a PF BB was in 2014 with stock cups on a new Cervelo P5. Never had an issue since then, ~5 bikes and tens of thousands of miles later.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve had a CF SLX Di2 since the initial release a couple of years back, and thought Iā€™d share a few thoughts! (UK owner).

Overall, super happy with the bike. Never had any issues with Canyon or the bike. I damaged the tool kit cover during a small crash and Canyon were easy to deal with and I was able to order the part direct from Germany.

As mentioned above, if you need reach, the standard cockpit wonā€™t work great. I did stick with the standard cockpit for the first season since there wasnā€™t much choice yet in terms of aftermarket parts, but I now have a D2Z front end fitted and it has transformed the bike for me from something manageable to something more comfortable.

Also, I never really loved the built in hydration. It works, but I just find it easier and quicker to drink from a BTA. Obviously the standard front end isnā€™t designed for BTA, but with the new front end I was able to use BTA and I now no longer use the hose at all.

Other than that, a great bike. Looks good, comes with decent wheels ready to race on, and the support from Canyon has been fantastic whenever Iā€™ve needed them. I take it to a local shop for a pre-season service every year and theyā€™ve never had an issue with it being a Canyon - I am a paying customer after all.

Iā€™ve never actually weighed it so Iā€™m sorry I canā€™t help there, maybe this is a sign to weigh it once itā€™s in race trim!

I would buy a Canyon again, but it would be a closer call with some other nice bikes on the market now and since Canyon raised their prices to almost be in line with others. When I was saving for a bike the rim SLX was in the region of Ā£6.5K, then the disc came out and that was Ā£8K and quickly went up to Ā£8.5K.

I hope that helps a bit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sol-rosenberg wrote:
Do you like squeaks? or high-maintenance parts?

Some engineer in the 90s was like, hey, if we remove the threads from the bottom bracket we can make our frames lighter and sell it as such. We'll just move the weight to the press fit bottom bracket. So the net weight will be the same or more, but we can market our frames as lighter. Two years later, we can't figure out why our drivetrains are noisy. Oh, it's from press fit bottom brackets.

Get yourself a TT bike with a threaded bottom bracket, if you want to keep it more than 2-3 years.

I have had the bike for 23 months now and not a peep. The anti-press fit bb crew is much louder than press fit bbs are on well made bikes. I have three friends with the same bike and no issues with them either. People I knew with BB issues on other bikes...it has just been a question of finding the right bike shop/mechanic who knows how to solve the issue.

Canyon service and quality? I DID have an issue with the crack seat stay that seemed fairly common with the early bikes. I emailed pictures of the crack at 3pm in the afternoon in Taipei, and by 9pm, I had a replacement frame sitting in my pending orders. Two weeks later I had the frame and $200USD to cover the cost of stripping down the old frame and rebuilding on the new one. Perfect service. 20 months of use on the replacement frame and zero issues. Canyon does have its issues; not sure if it's just a more online crowd that makes them more visible or statistically higher than other companies but they do stand behind it and get it sorted quickly and kindly.

As for the bike? Yes, the reach is the biggest limiter and also check your pad width as even the widest setting is not all that wide for many. For me, neither of these were fit issues and I knew that for sure before I would buy a bike. I got mine at the release price which I believe is about $1000USD less than what they are now and the wheels were better. The only thing I hated on the bike was the Mystique saddle...nightmare but they have since replaced that and in a Tri bike, there is no way a manufacturer will get a saddle that works for even 10% of their buyers. Would be nice if you can just get the bike without a saddle and save the money and waste.

I was coming from a P5 rim brake that worked well aside from not having brakes that didn't leak...Cervelo/Magura NEVER took care of its customers with this issue (about 50%+ of the bikes sold had it) and when Magura in Taiwan told me that even here they no longer had anymore new brake sets to keep replacing the failed ones, it was time to move on. So in my n+1 world, it's Canyon 1 for fixing an issue and Cervelo 0.

When I consider my road bike replacement, it is very hard not to see the value of Canyon's SLX model road bikes. The only caveat with Canyon in Taiwan is no matter how small a replacement part may be, if you need a Canyon-only part, it is a $150USD shipping fee which is just wild.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"The biggest Canyon advantage is drinking system integration and nice and adjustable cockpit"
--------------------------------------
Those are actually the biggest limiters of the Canyon IMO. Now, I actually drool over the canyons . . . they look REALLY nice!

However, I am a Cervelo fanboy. I had the original P3 aluminum (26 in wheels), 2 P3Cs, a P5, and now a P5D (I also have an under-ridden S3). I absolutely love the P5D! I turned the aero bottle into storage and see no limiters other than I need to change my EX 11 front end to an EX 10. Fabulous bike!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Dec 1, 23 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why switch from cervelo p5d to cube?

I have a cervelo p5d and adjustability was a major plus for me. Think about the courses you ride and where you live. P5d handles like a road bike and can climb pretty decently. I came from new p2 with some upgrades but did not like training on it and the handling. P5d is Great for hilly places at home and courses like IM nice. However if you live in a flat place or just ride easy courses, it doesnā€™t matter much. Pick the bike that fits and you will ride more. I second the aero bottle for storage, can fit so much stuff in there.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 or Canyon CF SLX [transgress4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, maybe I should have expanded more. I wouldnā€™t get rid of the P5, Iā€™d keep it and have both.

Why? I like the Cube style, just how it looks. I also like the integration. Thatā€™s all. Falls into the category of I could so why not.
Quote Reply