Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P5 Steering Angle
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a P5 and was surprised to see that the steering angle is extremely narrow at around 70 to 75 degrees. This requires a large area to work with when making a turn. At first I simply assumed the setup was correct. However, after a few close calls I am now starting to wonder if the build is correct. My LBS has pushed back a bit and said it is correct. But I am not so sure. Today when I went in they said the only way to increase the steering angle would be to start filing down a part under the spacer set up. This does not sound right! Anyone else have similar issues with the steering angle on the P5? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Steering Angle [vndosamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vndosamp wrote:
I recently purchased a P5 and was surprised to see that the steering angle is extremely narrow at around 70 to 75 degrees. This requires a large area to work with when making a turn. At first I simply assumed the setup was correct. However, after a few close calls I am now starting to wonder if the build is correct. My LBS has pushed back a bit and said it is correct. But I am not so sure. Today when I went in they said the only way to increase the steering angle would be to start filing down a part under the spacer set up. This does not sound right! Anyone else have similar issues with the steering angle on the P5? Thanks!

When you say steering angle of 75 degrees, do you mean you can turn the bars 37.5 deg to the left and 37.5 deg to the right?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fork is pinned underneath, likely so you don't snap/cut your rear hydraulic brake line. for me at first it was a bit annoying but you get used to it pretty quick.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Post deleted by vndosamp [ In reply to ]
Re: Cervelo P5 Steering Angle [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
vndosamp wrote:

When you say steering angle of 75 degrees, do you mean you can turn the bars 37.5 deg to the left and 37.5 deg to the right?

Yes, thanks for clarification!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Steering Angle [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ding ding ding

well pinned in that the fork crown has material built in to prevent further turning

my p5 and p3 turn pretty darn far, not sure how far the OP thinks they need to be able to turn it to not crash, but in general, that is not very far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check to see you don't have the cable keeper installed.
The cable keeper must NEVER be used together with the Aduro bar, or it will limit steering and damage cables.
Even without the Aduro bar, it's only cosmetic, so it's optional.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Steering Angle [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
somewhat related........I was aware one did not have to use a headset cap with the aduro, however, on a size 48 it seems one does. ie aduro back hits top tube, I guess due to the 1.5 deg diff in steer tube angle. correct? if you know off hand that is
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Steering Angle [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could file a little off the bottom spacer.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Steering Angle [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, no spacer being used, but same applies to back of stem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the input! The spacer was causing the steering problem. With some work my LBS was able to resolve the issue. Although my LBS insisted we leave the cable keeper installed. So I'm still not sure about that one. I am using the Aduro TT bar....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vndosamp wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input! The spacer was causing the steering problem. With some work my LBS was able to resolve the issue. Although my LBS insisted we leave the cable keeper installed. So I'm still not sure about that one. I am using the Aduro TT bar....

Well, you know, Damon helped design that bike, so he probably knows!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cable keeper with the Aduro bar is not smart or safe. I would go with Damon over your local shop :-)!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Steering Angle [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stupid question,

Which part is the cable keeper? Just had mine re-built and am having an issue with the spacer.

Thanks,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Steering Angle [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know right after I posted my 'thank you' reply I came across the Cervelo P5 thread. I noticed Damon's name popping up a lot. This brought be back to my post to see who had commented on the cable keeper -- sure enough it was Damon :) I'll be visiting my LBS again to have cable keeping removed!

jackmott wrote:
vndosamp wrote:

Well, you know, Damon helped design that bike, so he probably knows!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Steering Angle [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks jack, I'll pop the cap and take a look.

Cheer,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you don't need to pop the cap to see it. turn the bars slightly and it will be visible. either there is a big hole(correct) or there is a black plastic cover(bad for aduro, ie will cut cables/brake lines)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea if you can take off the cable keeper on the P5 without having to take the bar, spacers, etc. off first? I see 2 allen screws that are accessible when I turn the bars. Wondering if I can simply unscrew and pull off the plastic cable keeper cover? If not then I guess it's a bit of a bigger job. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

I will look…it is only re-built with brakes, I will build the rest myself as I want to look at a few things re position. So not riding for another 3-4 months.

Appreciate the pointers from you & Jack.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to take aduros off, as there are a few pieces in there that need to come out with the covers, I think I found 4 little metal triangular pieces that I have no idea how they were assembled to keep the tops on, nor do I really care to figure out as I will not be using the parts. into a bag they go for any future resale of bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll have to tell shop to remove Aduro bar to remove the cable bucket. They should know about this if they've read the extensive (and useful) manual that comes with the P5.
Quote Reply