Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed
Quote | Reply
I have a P5 Six, I love the bike apaet from the Magura brakes!!! They have got work and teh rear brake has a leak somewhere. It needs bleeding so often.
I see my options are
  1. Regualrly bleed them - this is not ideal!!!
  2. Swap them for mechanical brakes - either the TriRig Omega or TRP - are there any other options?
  3. Try to fix the Magura's - It seems the leak is internal rather than from the hose. Has anyine fixed a leaking lever with any joy?

These brakes really are a pain

Has anyone swapped out these brakes ? Which ones fit besr and work best?
Any advice or tips is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not positive, but I believe these fit P5s as well.

And they are very powerful.

https://canecreek.com/product/eebrakes/

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I am not positive, but I believe these fit P5s as well.

And they are very powerful.

https://canecreek.com/product/eebrakes/

Won’t work they are direct mount, single mount works on the P-5
Tririg works F&R you just need some spacers for the rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But there are 2 versions of this brake:

direct mount
and
traditional single bolt mount

I have not personally checked, but I was told that the single bolt mount versions of these brakes fit the original P5.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the tririg omega brake is the simple solution. the magura will be a pain for there life duration for very little gain. Omega will still allow you to run the front fairing etc. my preference anyway with the p5.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
the tririg omega brake is the simple solution. the magura will be a pain for there life duration for very little gain. Omega will still allow you to run the front fairing etc. my preference anyway with the p5.

Thanks a lot. Do you need to alter the fairing or does it fit easily ?
I have heard the TRP fits better on the rear. Is that right or does the Omega fit easily on the rear too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swapped the Magura brakes out for the TriRig brakes on my P5-6 - the only downside is you can't use the stock fairings (not without serious modifications at least).

I had the Cane Creek EE brake on my Ventum and as DarkSpeedWorks said, it is very strong, I personally liked the TriRig better. The adjustable modulation and micro adjustments is a nice feature on the TriRig (especially when swapping between wheelsets).

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I hear the tri rig can be a pain to fit on the rear as there isn’t much space for the cable

Is that right ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My solution was buying the new disc brake P5. Honestly not sure it’s worth investing in new brakes for what is now a very old bike (though I’m equally sure someone will say I’m crazy and they have plenty of life). There’s just no good solution imho (TriRig closest as mentioned but stopping power is very meh).

I do have a new Magura for the front that I would sell if that helps. Bought a pair off someone here and used the rear to replace a leaking one on my old P5 before I sold it. (If yours continually needs rebleeds it’s likely because the o-ring is cracked. I thought I just needed a new bleed at first…and then it gets more and more frequent…).
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [AGTC1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AGTC1 wrote:
My solution was buying the new disc brake P5. Honestly not sure it’s worth investing in new brakes for what is now a very old bike (though I’m equally sure someone will say I’m crazy and they have plenty of life). There’s just no good solution imho (TriRig closest as mentioned but stopping power is very meh).

I do have a new Magura for the front that I would sell if that helps. Bought a pair off someone here and used the rear to replace a leaking one on my old P5 before I sold it. (If yours continually needs rebleeds it’s likely because the o-ring is cracked. I thought I just needed a new bleed at first…and then it gets more and more frequent…).

My solution was very similar...a new Canyon Speedmax SLX as I wanted to try something new and a little different from the P5D after 8 years of dealing with Magura replacements, fixes and hacks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMF wrote:
I have a P5 Six, I love the bike apaet from the Magura brakes!!! They have got work and teh rear brake has a leak somewhere. It needs bleeding so often.
I see my options are
  1. Regualrly bleed them - this is not ideal!!!
  2. Swap them for mechanical brakes - either the TriRig Omega or TRP - are there any other options?
  3. Try to fix the Magura's - It seems the leak is internal rather than from the hose. Has anyine fixed a leaking lever with any joy?

These brakes really are a pain

Has anyone swapped out these brakes ? Which ones fit besr and work best?
Any advice or tips is appreciated.

The Magura brakes were probably the best rim brakes ever. Only disadvantage was Magura discontinued producing the brakes and their parts.
Mine still work (knock on wood)
Last edited by: longtrousers: May 6, 23 3:21
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you flown your bike? I'm flying to IM Maryland in Sept and am a little worried about messing up the brake line when packing. Any advice for a future traveler?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having issues with my brakes too, anyone know a shop/mechanic in the Denver/Boulder area who can replace them? Hoping someone can help
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex M wrote:
Have you flown your bike? I'm flying to IM Maryland in Sept and am a little worried about messing up the brake line when packing. Any advice for a future traveler?

Several times: I demount the cockpit (with the stem) from the fork and put everything in the case keeping the brake line attached. I fasten a "dummy" stem (just a plastick tube) to avoid the fork with its bearings to fall out of the frame.
But I have a P5 three with a standard stem, should be different from a P5 six.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [prybecky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bikebox Alan - you take out the 4 bolts that hold the extensions on - if you have Di2 and can unplug the shifters that helps. you can leave the basebar in place and don't have to fiddle with the brakes when you arrive.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all.....I agree these brakes when working and not constantly leaking were brilliant. Best brakes I have used & gace me a lot of confidence even when going down mountains/hairpins in races.
The front brake is fine but the rear has an internal leak somewhere & has finally given in. I love the bike & it seems crazy to write the bike off due to a leaky brake. I have spoken to Cervelo & Magura on this. Cervelo were very helpful but Magura just said they were no longer manufacturing these brakes - which I knew!
Anyway I have gone for a mechanical brake & swapped it out for a TRP. Fits well, managed to get the cover back on too with a slight modification.
Hopefully no more issues and I will be able to trust the brake again.

As I said, I agree these are great and I have travelled with it loads of times but they have finally had enough. I have read tgat its often an internal 'O' ring seal that goes and some do rplace them but Im not sure I trust that fix as I may get the wrong size 'O'ring. Now I have the brake off the bike I will have a look and take it aoart to see where it is leaking rom properly though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best solution I've come up for this problem is using TriRig Omega X brakes front (which, without its cover, fits under the P5-6 fairing) and rear (also without the cover), with the added benefit of Di2 brake levers on the base bar. I do not know if the newer Omega One brakes will work the same but why not.
Last edited by: TheArchitect: May 9, 23 14:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain! I've been relatively lucky with mine for the past 6 years but recently a repair was beyond my capability so I took it to the bike shop. They've now told me that the leak is from the seal in the rear brake master cylinder. Looks like I need to replace the rear lever/cylinder but finding the parts is proving to be difficult.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

My last resort will be to replace to Tririg Omega but I would rather keep the originals, especially since it's the only brake that fits with the fairing on.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [Tri_Tommy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rear TRP that came on the P5-3 fits with the cover on. Just need to trim a small piece for one of the arms and cut the brake cable short. For the front you can run Omega X and attach the Cervelo cover to the Omega X cover

That's how I ran mechanical brakes with both covers in place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My magura rear on P5-Three is dead finally too. I was bleeding rear brake twice a season and after every flight. On recent flight to finland for their regular 70.3 it broke completely, so had to race in dumping rain with only front brake.

Replacing both brakes this week for Tririg Omega One.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
+1 here.

I had the same problem. The problem is on the oring as you said.
A friend of mine also had the problem and it was an easy fix.

Here you can see how to repair the lever.
https://imgur.com/gallery/QVcXYH0
https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/g99wpz/magura_rt8_or_rt6_lever_leaking_fixed/
(credits to the gentle soul that made the tutorial)

It also shows the oring specs, ( #83 O-Ring (1/2" OD x 5/16" ID), but i'm pretty sure you can find it easily on the market.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [labtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi.. has anyone found a replacement lever/master piston, rather than changing the whole brake system?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P5 Six - Magura brakes are such a pain - advice needed [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, realize I'm replying to an old thread.

Will these work with a P5-3 as a rear brake?

This: https://www.ebay.com/...pname%3Avlp_homepage

That: https://www.ebay.com/..._CLK%7Cclp%3A4429486
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was beyond my 'wrenching' abilities - but it works, I believe some spacers were needed but don't recall since it was about 4-5 years ago now.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply