Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P3 - Magura RT6 Di2 hack
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

My LBS is currently working on adding the cateye remote option so that I can both keep my Magura RT6 brakes but also have gear shift buttons on the brake levers (have soldered the cateyes into the box out of another set of TT shifters). This is quite a common custom piece of work on the Cervelo P5s with the Magura RT8 brakes - but is made easier on the P5 as the aerobar is the integrated 3T Aduro.

However the P3 only comes with the 3T Aura which according to the LBS (and I have no reason to doubt them) doesn't have the ability to internally house both the hydraulic brake cables and the extra Di2 cables. I don't want to run the Di2 cables externally as it will not look that great. Also I cannot upgrade to the 3T Aduro as (according to the 3T sales rep and the LBS) it is not compatible with the P3, only the P5 (notwithstanding the extra cost!).

I could drill extra holes into the Aura, but drilling into carbon is highly NOT recommended.

The option the LBS has given me is to swap to the Zipp Vuka Alumina bar as it is alloy so extra holes can be drilled. However I'm not sold on the look of the cow-horn curved corners of this particular bar, and it seems like a compromise compared to the 3T Aura carbon option.

Putting aside the obvious cost increase, would upgrading to the Zipp Vuka Stealth work so far as internally housing both cables on either side?? - I see from the reviews that the Stealth has two exit points on either side, but I'm not sure if they are wide enough to cater for the cabling.

Would like to have a carbon base bar if possible, but I guess I will have to go alloy if there is no other way. Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks
Last edited by: thanrah: Jul 30, 14 0:00
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 - Magura RT6 Di2 hack [thanrah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, the Aduro works on the NP3. Here is the thread on my bike build: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...o%20on%20p3;#5079478

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 - Magura RT6 Di2 hack [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afbadbrad wrote:
FWIW, the Aduro works on the NP3. Here is the thread on my bike build:http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...o%20on%20p3;#5079478[/quote[/url]]

Thanks Brad - I'll enquire with the LBS as to why they thought otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well it takes a little extra work to make it work. The Aduro is all internal cable routing, and technically on the NP3 the rear brake is externally routed out the bar and into the top tube. There is a way to loop the housing through the head tube and into the top tube, just takes a little extra work and some creativity. That is what we did and then plugged the hole in the top tube. If you look at the picture gallery I setup you can see it.

Let me know if you need any other help with this.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah and it is worth changing that bar anyway because the upturned brake area is unacceptable with the magura levers. They lose some of their aeroness. We cannot have that!

haha

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 - Magura RT6 Di2 hack [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when you say the upturned levers - you mean the Aura bar??
Last edited by: thanrah: Jul 30, 14 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanrah wrote:

yeah. the whole shape of the magura levers is designed to be aero when flat.

so if you change the bars, get one with non upturned brakes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had my LBS put the climbing shifter on my NP3 and of course ran into the same issue of a dangling cable. They were not interested in any kind of splicing or hacking of any kind.

What they ended up doing is mounting the climbing shifter on the inside of the tight bull horn, behind my hand position with the shirt buttons facing down. While the shifter is way bulkier than I'd like, the set up works well. All they did with the cable is use some black (I assume electricians tape) to tape the wire up under the aero bar. Riding in aero there is likely some drag induced by the bulky shifter nit the viable, taped to the underside of the bar / wing should have minimal impact although potentially some.

The nice thing is that I can now climb on the bull horns and use my pinky finger to change gears. Or, if I really want to sit up, I can climb with my hands on the flat bar - end parts, and still reach the shifter easily enough. If the shifter were farther forward I couldn't do this as easily.

As I have way more to worry about than 2 grams of drag (like 30 pounds of body weight for a start), this setup is great for me.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I saw that in the pictures and also your little drawing you provided showing the rough routing path down into the top tube and out the back - very cool! The main concerns with the Aduro is complete lack of availability here in NZ; and obviously the potential horrific cost!! :-(

afbadbrad wrote:
Well it takes a little extra work to make it work. The Aduro is all internal cable routing, and technically on the NP3 the rear brake is externally routed out the bar and into the top tube. There is a way to loop the housing through the head tube and into the top tube, just takes a little extra work and some creativity. That is what we did and then plugged the hole in the top tube. If you look at the picture gallery I setup you can see it.

Let me know if you need any other help with this.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 - Magura RT6 Di2 hack [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and just so everyone knows how I feel, spending this kind of money on a bike and then having to do a hack is outrageous. Shimano should provide external button shifters, after all, that is one of the largest advantages to Di2. But, I can also see that from a sales perspective they'd want to force you into all of their components. Which leaves it to Cervelo to do the hack. Personally I really like my Maguras and I'm happy with the solution that I have but it should have been standard.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks jackmott. It's interesting you mention flat bar options, as after a bunch of research and enquiries, the best option (for many reasons including staying with carbon, multiple exit points, cost, availability, and most importantly functionality) is looking like the Profile Design Svet zero which has the flat handles - zero upturn. Any thoughts on that base bar?? Thanks

jackmott wrote:
thanrah wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems ok, I had that bar on the P5 that I borrowed for a couple stage races. Haven't seen it tested though. But yeah if you can't spend ~$700+ it seems to be one of the reasonable options.

thanrah wrote:
Thanks jackmott. It's interesting you mention flat bar options, as after a bunch of research and enquiries, the best option (for many reasons including staying with carbon, multiple exit points, cost, availability, and most importantly functionality) is looking like the Profile Design Svet zero which has the flat handles - zero upturn. Any thoughts on that base bar?? Thanks

jackmott wrote:
thanrah wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$700 for the Aduro?? - ok I thought it was ,like, twice that amount...

jackmott wrote:
Seems ok, I had that bar on the P5 that I borrowed for a couple stage races. Haven't seen it tested though. But yeah if you can't spend ~$700+ it seems to be one of the reasonable options.

thanrah wrote:

jackmott wrote:
thanrah wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The TriRig Alpha is $700ish I think.
That is sort of where the super-bars start.

Zipp is around ~$1000?

P5 bars it depends, if a local shop gets one that was taken off a P5 because a customer didn't want it, you might get a good deal. That is how we got ours:

thanrah wrote:
$700 for the Aduro?? - ok I thought it was ,like, twice that amount...

jackmott wrote:

thanrah wrote:

jackmott wrote:
thanrah wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unless you are totally committed to keeping the hydro brakes ( which I wasn't) you could swap out the Magura setup for a replacement Ultegra Di2 TT brake/shifter unit and ultegra mechnical calipers ( which I did ) for less than the cost of the upgraded aerobars. The current Shimao mechanical brakes are really as good as one could ever want on a tri bike , but I can understand if some are committed to the hydros.
this way my bike is basically factory built, without any dodgy add ons.
my LBS did this as a no cost swap out for me a couple of months ago when I got my P3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what have you done with that Aduro bar to get it like that? doesn't look like standard housing at the back eg no cover over the top tube hole (did you hack it off??) and no v-shaped stacking? - is that piece of the bar completely removable if you don't require any stacking?

jackmott wrote:

Zipp is around ~$1000?

P5 bars it depends, if a local shop gets one that was taken off a P5 because a customer didn't want it, you might get a good deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 - Magura RT6 Di2 hack [Avago] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yep believe me I gave this option a lot of thought as well.

Avago wrote:
unless you are totally committed to keeping the hydro brakes ( which I wasn't) you could swap out the Magura setup for a replacement Ultegra Di2 TT brake/shifter unit and ultegra mechnical calipers ( which I did ) for less than the cost of the upgraded aerobars. The current Shimao mechanical brakes are really as good as one could ever want on a tri bike , but I can understand if some are committed to the hydros.
this way my bike is basically factory built, without any dodgy add ons.
my LBS did this as a no cost swap out for me a couple of months ago when I got my P3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the V riser is optional. If you don't need a lot of stack, that comes off and a different piece goes on.

I had to hack the back of the stem to make it work on the old P2.

thanrah wrote:
what have you done with that Aduro bar to get it like that? doesn't look like standard housing at the back eg no cover over the top tube hole (did you hack it off??) and no v-shaped stacking? - is that piece of the bar completely removable if you don't require any stacking?

jackmott wrote:

Zipp is around ~$1000?

P5 bars it depends, if a local shop gets one that was taken off a P5 because a customer didn't want it, you might get a good deal.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 - Magura RT6 Di2 hack [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know where can I find detailed step by step instruction how to make a Di2 shifter out of ST-9071? I have seen it on the internet a while ago but now when I want start my modification I am not able to find it.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 - Magura RT6 Di2 hack [elim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Search for "DIY Cervelo P5 - Di2 9070 Brake Shifter Hack" by Veryoriginal

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 - Magura RT6 Di2 hack [elim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The buttons are what is left of di2 brake levers.The brake lever is removed,some grinding is necessary of the plastic to make a smooth surface.All wiring and electronics are left alone.Absolutely no internal soldering and messing around is required.Call my bike mechanic (Aaron Jackson at Gears and Grinds in Kingston Ontario, Canada ) at 613 544 9528.
Quote Reply