Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything
Quote | Reply
Alright, I’ve gotten a number of requests to put together a post on my project bike, the P3-6. I will detail the changes I made, and the reasoning in this post. Hopefully it could help some with their questions on what I have done.

First, the bike specs.
Frame: Cervelo New P3 Size 54 cm
Fork: Cervelo P5-6 version
Bars: 3T Aduro
Groupset: Shimano Ultegra 6870 (updated from full bike picture
Brakeset: TriRig Omega X front and rear
Crankset: Quarq Elsa RS 165mm BB30, 53/39 chainrings (Updated from picture)
Wheels: HED Jet 9+ w/ Catalyst Carbon Cover
Skewers: ViewSpeed Aero Skewers
Bento Box: Darkspeed Works 480D (sometimes put on a torhans bento)

Alright, first things first. Why did I build this Franken-bike instead of just buying a P5-6. Serveral reasons. Most of all, I like to have something that is a little bit different. It is just too easy to go any buy a P5 off the shelf. Second, I hate hate hate bb mounted brakes. Not an issue when they work, but if I ever have to get to them to work on, I just would rather have a traditional brake placement. Finally, I never intended to go this far with the project, I sort of fell into the p5 front end through a number of sources. I will detail the modifications I have made below one by one:
1. P5-6 bar and fork install
This one was easy and is not really a mod. It is just about gathering the pieces and putting them together. The geometry of the headtube area is very similar between the p5 and p3/p2 and it fits no problem. I got the bars by stumbling across them when the Garmin guys were selling off their old Cervelo gear at the beginning of the year. Then I poked around for a fork and found one that a shop had sitting around (Thanks ATC!). After ordering the small pieces, I put it all together and the P3-6 was born.

2. Paint
Completely unnecessary, but I am OCD about matching and it started to drive me nuts. Allen Edwards (PaintIt) helped me with the paint job. Under 30 days from shipment to receiving it back!

3. BB Mounted Torhans VR

Like most everyone with the p2/p3/p5, I wanted some sort of aero neutral flat storage option for the mysterious bb mounted bolt. I know that Torhans had a design that was never followed through for various reasons and it didn’t look like anyone was going to release anything. I knew the VR tested ok on several bikes and had one sitting around. One day I got a stroke of smarts and noticed I could just lop off the bottom part and it would line put well with the angles of the DT and ST. So I went for it. Basically, I took a knife to the mount for the bottle and cut off the bottom inch or so. This obviously left a giant hole in the bottom and not and really secure way to attach it to the frame besides the bottom cage bolt. To fix this, I took the left over plastic from what I cut off and fashioned a bottom plate of sorts. I use a soldering iron to heat the plastic and attach it to the mount. Viola. The bottom bolt now has a use. I originally did this with a normal VR, but wasn’t entirely happy with the lack of transition to the seat tube and overall quality of my work. So I order and Felt VR version and it did wonders. As you can see, it transitions to the frame as the U cutout shields the seat tube better (it also helps with it being secure with a little cut up tube glued in place). This final product is pretty slick. No aero numbers as of yet, but I hope to get some one day. At best, I am hoping for aero neutral. I’m also working on modifying a vr bottle to sit in there and maybe use that for concentrated nutrition)

1st Attempt:

2nd Attempt:

4. Aero 30 Mod

For those of you who have paid attention to Jim and his results with the Aero 30, you know there is a substantial benefit using the Aero 30 if you can get it right up to the headtube. Originally I cursed Cervelo and their silly little bridge for a BTA bottle on the aduro bar. I knew I c couldn’t cut and/or modify that portion of the bar as it was adding some sort of structural support. Then after my exploits with the VR, it clicked. Make the bottle fit the bar. So much like the VR, I took a knife and a soldering iron to a $30 water bottle. This was much more frustrating as I obviously didn’t want it to just be a glorified fairing. I needed it to hold water. A couple of hours of soldering, checking for leaks, and fixing any holes and I had a bottle that holds water. To ensure the seal, I took some food safe silicone and gobbed it up along the seam of the pieces.

For reference, I used the Torhans VR plastic to mold into the bottle. Worked ok, but the glass transition temperature for the Aero 30 and VR plastic is different and thus it took some learning to join the pieces properly.

Being a sucker for punishment, I gave the first bottle away to the Wurtele clan. Heather even used it at IMTX. Pretty cool moment to see a shot of her using something I made. That was a dumb move though as I now needed to make another one. The results was slightly cleaner the second time. It may look messy from the back, but from the front, you can’t see a thing.

Also, instead of the straw mast, I now use a camelback water hose and bite valve with a magnet that extends to near my hands. This allows me to pick it up, sip, and then place it back. I had to dip my head awkwardly with the straw mast, so this was a better solution for me.

5. Omega X/Magnetic fairings and beard

If you noticed on the bike specs section, I am using Omega X brakes. If you are familiar with the fork of a P5-6, you know that isn’t normal as the fairings for the brake attach to the Magura brake only. Well, while I didn’t mind the Magura brakes, I just didn’t like the thought of something happening in travel. Also, I was moving to Di2 and I didn’t want to do the Cateye button hack again.

Looking at the Omega X and the magnetic attachment of the front plate, I had an idea to go the same thing to the p5 brake fairings. So I ordered the brakes and installed them with no issues. Then I had to get the fairings to attach properly. Using some sugru (magical stuff) I created a sort of “mount” that would cradle the brake arm and hold the magnet. The mold had to cradle the brake arm so that it would pull the fairing back after the brake was released. I essentially pressed the moldable sugru on to the fairing (w/ a magnet in place) and then set it on the brake to align it with the fork. Once I was happy with the placement, I pulled it off and let it cure. The magnet came off when I pull the fairing away, but I glued it in place after the sugru was cured.

Also a note: the fairings did need to be trimmed with an exacto knife due to the pad arms of the brake not clearing the original fairing.

This modification is the best as I can snap the covers on and off with no thought. It also allows for easy access and adjustment of the brake.

The other portion of the fairings was with the “beard” attachment on the p5. I hated the thought of traveling with it and having to remove the 3 tiny bolts each time to pack it properly. Luck for me, magnets were my new best friend. I also have a basic 3D printer at home (DeltaPrintr) and knew I could make an attachment for the beard with inset magnets.

After some measurements on the current beard attachment, I iterated the design and came up with a final result. Using some magnets with a countersunk hole, I attached them to the aduro bar using the normal screws. I only used two of the potential three as it was sufficient for alignment and holding strength purposes. Then I attached my home-made beard attachment to the beard. The final result is a easy to remove piece. There was a slight gap to the spacer above, so I used some more sugru to fill the gap. The brake fairings sit slightly lower than they would stock and to keep a proper gap with reason there was a gap was that I placed the beard I had to make the beard lower on the headtube.

Overall, this is my proudest modification. It took some time but it removes a ton of hassle from the bike and is simple and easy to live with.

That’s all I have. Let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to tell me I wasted my time as well.
Last edited by: zachboring: Jul 27, 15 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beauty, and pretty darn ingenious across the board.

I never would have guessed how much work went in to making that Torhans bottle fit snugly against the steerer – please take this as a complement at just how cleanly it fits in your first photo – I didn't even consider the large basebar being in the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're my Aero Hero...so cool.

Sorry I haven't returned the messages. Holiday week won't work, but I'll get back to you soon. EMail: jimAtero-sportsDotcom

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Beautiful bike. Whats the final price tag on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [baldiesrt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baldiesrt wrote:
Beautiful bike. Whats the final price tag on this?

Out of pocket? Not sure. Probably too much. I had the wheels.

Paid like 2500 for the frame

1000 for the fork/bars
385 for brakes
About 1100 for the di2 I think
800 for paint
Materials and hours.....who knows

Sure I'm forgeting some stuff

It's important to not I never intended this to be a budget build. Just one that meets my needs and desires in a "super" bike
Last edited by: zachboring: Jul 27, 15 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome mods! I'm very slowly assembling the pieces for me to attempt the same thing on a Dimond. Will the head tube give me trouble re the fork/aduro/fairing, or do i just have to try it and find out? :)

The Torhans mod is highly interesting!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No clue on how it would fit on dimond.

I would be careful with the turning radius though. The fork uses a metal post in the frame to lock out the steering. This keeps the fairing from ramming into the headtube. Likely not an issue in everyday riding, but may need to take a look for those tight turn situations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why in the bleeping $@%^@$!$#! are you using housing on the front omega?? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
why in the bleeping $@%^@$!$#! are you using housing on the front omega?? :)
Why wouldn't he? Trying to rig an upstream hanger would be a big challenge (and likely add friction to the cable path in this case), and the whole thing sits UNDER his Aduro fairing. I think he really nailed it here.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not exposed ever, so didn't want to mess with it as Nick said. If I need to use my uci legal fork for some odd reason, I'll run a bare cable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty sure a noodle isn't adding anything to the friction path. less housing, less friction. a noodle is no challenge and fits nicely on the aduro

I smiled cuz, yes, it is covered and hence not an issue. now which weighs more, the noodle or the extra housing?? :)

see, another smiley
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are amazing!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post couldn't have been better timed. I saw a picture of your bike on google images and ordered a set of P5/6 forks for my own P3. Just got the message today from my LBS that the forks have arrived. I had also ordered a pair of Tririg Omega X brakes too, thinking the front brake would fit easier into the covers than my current Dura-Ace callipers. I have Zipp Vuka Stealth bars on my P3 though, so will have to give some thought to how it will all go together for the neatest possible solution.
Great article though and I really think you have done a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [Xplombier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
could be tricky. Would love to see what you come up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome work!!

How much fluid does your front Torhans now hold? Aero26.8?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
27.3215 oz to be exact ;)

Joking. But likely something around 26. It's enough to get me 10 miles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a scale of "what's a screw driver to owning a ten tier, 50 row tool box", how good do you have to be to make that bottle? I can't get my bottle close to my DA head tube but could use a winter project to take off some of the bottle to get it to sit further back on the mount.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good? Not very. I am not super skilled but I know my way around some tools.

This is easy though. Just need to be patient and have a $5.00 soldering iron to melt some plastic. You just need to have patience to solder, check for leaks, repeat until it stops leaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might have to be an off season project. Hated having to give up the 30 but wasn't sure about it being close to 3 inches from head tube. Sweet bike though!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zach...looks amazing...so cool - well done on so many fronts! Love it!

Quote | Reply
Appreciate your advice. And congratulations again on your aero innovations!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
pretty sure a noodle isn't adding anything to the friction path. less housing, less friction. a noodle is no challenge and fits nicely on the aduro
If it fits nicely on the Aduro, it may be a nice solution. Often, aerobars are ill-designed for such a sharp cable turn, and it can be very easy to ADD friction using a noodle or other upstream hanger. But if it works well, I'd endorse it :-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zach,

I'm about to try exactly the same thing with my P3. I love the P3-6 concept.

When you routed your rear brake. Presumably through the top of the top tube, not the left side. How did you get the cabling through? Was it front to back, or back to front?

Cheers
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3-6 Ask Me Anything [discostu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done it both ways. Both easy to route. Back to front may be sligthly easier.
Quote Reply

Prev Next