Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cervelo P2 worth the price
Quote | Reply
I'm very new to this TT biking world, wanted to know if this bike is worth the price or should I stick with newer bike.
My budget is around 2k, i've been looking at the Blue Apex Triad SP Ram from mybikeshop.com fro $1600, however I really like Cervelo's.
There is a 2008 Cervelo P2C with FSA 170 crankset, Dura ace shifters and derailleurs, with Williams tubular wheels for $1790.

Which is the best bike for the value? Assume both are great condition bike and fit is not an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [jgn1013] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Cervelo P2 that I got for around $1400 and I have loved it. I would like to upgrade in the distant future but for that price you can't go wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know, except it's an 08 and the Blue would be new. Dura Ace components doesn't compare i'm guessing to SRAM Apex
I guess having the williams wheels is worth $200-500?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the cervelo P2C ('08) 3 years ago when I first started, used on Craigslist. I got it then for 1700$ no upgrades 2500mi on the thing. to this day it is flawless. i get it tuned once maybe twice a year and do some basic maintenance on it to keep it running well. Since then ive upgraded with some HED wheels jet6/9 combo with PT.
I think if you can get the cervelo for 1700 with williams wheels pull the trigger. see how many miles are on both the bike and wheels. Cervelo is top notch and fits most riders. highly recommend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jgn1013 wrote:
I know, except it's an 08 and the Blue would be new. Dura Ace components doesn't compare i'm guessing to SRAM Apex
I guess having the williams wheels is worth $200-500?

The P2 geometry is awesome (I own a 2012, essentially the same geometry) but I don't think I would pay more than $1,550 for that deal. I would choose that over the Blue.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Cervelo and it is all that I ride (TT and road) but that bike as is, is over-priced. If you can get it for <$1,400 do it, otherwise it's a not a good deal. I personally wouldn't offer much over $1,200-1,300 for this bike if it was in pristine condition.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [samgager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$1200 - 1300 with the upgraded wheels? not sure if he would go that low
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only one way to find out... negotiate.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [samgager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its a little high and you may want to consider with those wheels you will need to get a pair of training wheels. tubbies are not the best to train on{costly repairs} al lthough there are peps that do.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size frame are you needing? I have a 2012 58cm P2 that I will soon be selling.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [apache] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need 51cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jgn1013 wrote:
I'm very new to this TT biking world, wanted to know if this bike is worth the price or should I stick with newer bike.
My budget is around 2k, i've been looking at the Blue Apex Triad SP Ram from mybikeshop.com fro $1600, however I really like Cervelo's.
There is a 2008 Cervelo P2C with FSA 170 crankset, Dura ace shifters and derailleurs, with Williams tubular wheels for $1790.

Which is the best bike for the value? Assume both are great condition bike and fit is not an issue.

I don't know much about Blue but Cervelo make very good TT bikes and that one has nice components. It would last you for years. Assuming that it fits, its a no-brainer to me.
In terms of getting a good deal, I can speak from experience that buying the right bike is more important than the last $50 - $100 of the price. You'll soon forget the price but you won't forget if you buy a good bike. Or a bad one.
Last thing - re-sale % on a Cervelo with Dura-Ace would be much better than a Blue with Apex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2010 51 with Tri Rig brakes and a Cobb Max saddle that I will be selling for 1300
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Cervelo had standard training rims with it, I would value it at around $1100. I bought my 2007 P2 used...5 years ago for $1500. For a long time, the P2 retained a lot of it's value because it was basically the same frame...year after year from 2007 to recently. Now that the new P2 is out...the older P2s should take a hit in value (at least in my mind they should).

Now ask yourself if you even want the Williams tubulars. I probably wouldn't want them when there are just as fast clincher options out there and tubulars can be a PITA...especially for someone who sounds like they are just getting into cycling (making an assumption here). So lets say he offers to sell you the bike without the Williams wheels. Well...without any wheels, then I would pay closer to $950. Because you can probably find a used set of training wheels for around $100-$150. Take the $890 you saved, buy a disc cover for the rear training wheel, a FLO front, latex tubes, and fast tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So ive done some research but don't know much about tubular vs clincher tri wheels. I've seen lots of zipp 404 in the 1-1.5 k range depending on the year. Basically if I can grit it for around 1500 it's a fair price.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [TUEFELHUNDEN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo, components? Send me some pics nguyenjg at gmail
Last edited by: jgn1013: Oct 23, 14 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jgn1013 wrote:

But I think it will be. Those two bikes have fairly different geometry. I would pick the one that is closest to your fit coordinates. And if you don't know your fit coordinates, I would get a fit before buying either one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be a able to get a nearly new or last years model P2 for 2000. Unless you ride tubulars on your other bikes I would steer clear of them.

Save up and additional 500 and visit nytro for a 2014 P2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You get pick up a NP2 for around 2100. Then you have warranty plus will probably come with a fit and possible some kind of maintenance program.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to find one, cant locate any my size. Getting a fitting next week at LBS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jgn1013 wrote:

That is way over priced :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call every single bike shop in a 100mi radius tell them exactly what you want and the price you wanna pay. You can get a new tt bike in that price range that's what I did. You can get one for fairly cheap a lot of bike shops have tt bikes sit around for 2 or 3 years cause the market is so small. There's a new 2013 speed concept down the street from my house for 1.7k that's putting in minimal effort to find and that is a grade A bike. I guarantee you can find a new one in at least the 1500 range. Yea they're both good bikes I wouldn't scrutinize brands super crazy they're all pretty good just get one that fits really well cause your body makes most of the drag in the whole system. Also look for storage options like top tube bosses or whatever's important to you which I had some idea from road bike and ST what I wanted. Depending on how much money you have I'd scrutinize fit more so if you have options then I'd be looking at reach&stack. I went cheap if you're minimum wage triathlete like me so my fit isn't perfect and it most definitely makes a huge difference but ayee i got an absurd deal on a great bike that fits fairly well. I'd like a low tt style fit but ya know beggars/choosers or summin
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Oct 23, 14 23:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously - you'd be crazy to NOT go with the Blue. Yes, the cervelo is a classic frame, but it's an old as hell bike. I'd say go the blue, which is a great frame, and buy some Chinese clinchers (flame me now if you hate the non standard brands). Check out hong fu oam, far sports or carbon zone on eBay. All reputable Chinese wheel suppliers. That would be a smoking bike vs a bike with a ton a miles and worn out components. Alternatively, go buy a brand new felt b16 or basic giant trinity.
Last edited by: RizzaNZ: Oct 24, 14 1:10
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
jgn1013 wrote:

That is way over priced :)

On CL maybe, but not on a bike shop. I assume he is getting some sort of support going forward, that middle man isn't free.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 worth the price [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK maybe if the 2008 P2C is still brand new, maybe ;) Otherwise a used frame and 6 year old components aren't worth more than $6-700.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply

Prev Next