Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cayman
Quote | Reply
Hi
I'll be on Grand Cayman for ten days and will be based on the south end of 7 mile beach.
Does anyone have recommendations where to run during the darkness (early morning/late night)?
Many thanks in advance
Uli

Quote | Reply
anyone?

Quote | Reply
You have to contact Weeman who posts here. He lives there.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Cayman [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me know what you find out. I will be there in March and would like to know as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there in December of 2005, but I was on the north end of the strip. I would stick to the main street for running (there's only 1) and make sure you have bright clothing on and don't use headphones. There's really no easy place to run, IMO. Anything off of that main street is pretty deserted after dark and I, for one, wouldn't feel safe.

Make sure to take a snorkeling trip. We took one that took us to 3 locations and it was a blast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I was in Cayman for 2 weeks in August, also on 7 mile beach (West Bay). I would run the beach at sunset - usually to Cemetary and back up to the Hyatt then back to my favourite bar (Calico Jack's - say hi to Mel and Paulie and Lynne behind the bar) - amazing. I would also run along the bypass and out to the golf course by the Grand Cayman resort. One long-ish run was down to the Turtle Farm and back. Keep in mind I was hardly running those days, and it was oh 95deg all day and night for the entire time, with humidty in the 90s. Every run was a tough slog.

Avoid the high cruise-shipper times (8am to 2-3pm) everywhere period. It will be waaaay too busy everywhere and anywhere to run. Since you are looking to run before and after dark, you should be ok. Just make sure you put on something reflective and run facing traffic. The main road from West Bay into G'town will be stupid busy with traffic every weekday morning, usually starts 7:30ish, again, you should be ok.

PM me if you want more info. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Cayman [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, I can hook you up with a dive/snorkle op. Stingray city is the popular trip, but again M-Sat is full of cruise shippers. Sunday is the quasi-local day to go, way more laid back. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Cayman [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I was there in December of 2005, but I was on the north end of the strip. I would stick to the main street for running (there's only 1) and make sure you have bright clothing on and don't use headphones. There's really no easy place to run, IMO. Anything off of that main street is pretty deserted after dark and I, for one, wouldn't feel safe.

Make sure to take a snorkeling trip. We took one that took us to 3 locations and it was a blast!

Many thanks to all of you for your advice!

@DawnT: What were you afraid of? (seriously)

@AndyPants: I PM'ed you - thanks!

Cheers
uli

Quote | Reply
What were you afraid of? (seriously)

I guess I'm just very cautious about running by myself at night anywhere, especially in a place that I don't know very well. If I run at night, then I want to make sure there are lots of people out. Off the main street in Cayman, it gets really deserted at night, so I just wouldn't be comfortable running there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've stayed further north on the beach than you, but mostly ran north up the main road toward West Bay where I'd leave the main road and "wander". I think mornings are probably better for running as you'll be moving faster than most traffic at that time, but I usually started out just before daybreak so I wasn't in the dark much. The only time I felt scared was when I startled a rooster on the road one morning and he startled me in return.

Our family has had a great trip there everytime we've gone--enjoy!
Quote Reply