Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Catalyst wheel cover
Quote | Reply
I've been frustrated with ill-fitting wheel covers over the course of my cycling "career." I've had many wheels and many covers ... most from the standard source. I've always thought they add more weight than necessary and there's always waviness. Despite assurance from the seller that the waviness has no impact on aerodynamics, I'm skeptical. For the record, I've used screws, I've used tape, I've used screws AND tape. Nothing has been near as clean as I hoped. This winter, I tried making my own using styrene. Worked well, but looked like crap.

A while back on a thread about covers, some guys posted that they were starting up a business to sell covers. They're open for business now (catalystwheels.com) and I placed their fourth order late last week -- a cover for my Bonty Aeolus D3 7. It arrived today. It's a gorgeous carbon fiber weave that shimmers when it spins. It fits perfectly. No screws. You just tape it with Super 33 (or is it 88) electrical tape. And NO WAVES! Weight of the wheel with cover is within a few grams of my Hed Stinger disc. I won't get to race it for a couple weeks, but I'm looking forward to having a nice, light clincher disc option for race day.

Just wanted to give a shout-out to these guys. Their product is very nice and their customer service was excellent. I'll add a photo a bit later.

Stay aero my friends.
Last edited by: bobby11: Mar 25, 14 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
order #1,,,, got mine today as well for the Zipp 404 FC. Will add this w/e and race next w/e with them after a couple test rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting.... i have been shopping around for a new rear wheel because i hate the waviness, warp, and rubbing that my current cover has. i'll have to look into this option.
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the Spinners doing a TT series this year or do you do the ones at Charlotte Motor Speedway? I'll have it there (with my fat self) on April 9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah they are doing them this year, May 15 will be the first one. I also hope to be up at the speedway on April 9th though; I'll keep an eye out for the cover when I go up there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a video:
(That's not waviness. It shimmers in the sunlight.)

http://tinypic.com/r/240xjk6/8

Last edited by: bobby11: Mar 26, 14 9:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I just ordered some sheet plastic for a DIY weekend project... If I can't get a solid fitting disc, I will definitely keep these guys in mind!

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks really nice. It's a good option to keep in mind. I haven't been real happy with the cover that I have had on my 808 for the past year. The waviness bugs the crap out of me. Maybe it doesn't have any effect on aerodynamics, but I find myself questioning that every time I see it spin. A few other minor issues pushed me to ordering a Flo disc recently, but it kind of feels like a step back from the Zipp. If I decide I would rather stick with the 808, I will certainly look at the Catalyst cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I'm Justin Clark, one of the founders of Catalyst Wheels. We've received a lot of e-mails today about our wheel covers, and it's been great to have this kind of response! Just thought I'd let you all know that you're welcome to post questions on here as well. I'll be sure to respond as soon as possible.

Thanks!

--
Justin Clark | Catalyst Cycling | Twitter | Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [JustinC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and ST promo codes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you sourcing the CF from?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustinC wrote:
Hey, I'm Justin Clark, one of the founders of Catalyst Wheels. We've received a lot of e-mails today about our wheel covers, and it's been great to have this kind of response! Just thought I'd let you all know that you're welcome to post questions on here as well. I'll be sure to respond as soon as possible.

Thanks!

"The World's Lightest Wheel Covers"? I think not.

About an ounce or so:

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that cover is beautiful, simply spectacular!

that said, it s a 299$ cover vs a $80 plastic cover.

i m a big supporter of disc cover as when you mate them with a 808 or similar wheel, you end up with the fastest disc available in the world. Nothing beats it. I rode them during my full career and had great races on them and converted a lot of athletes to those.

But after all my testing, i wasn't able to see any negative effect from the wrapping of the cover for performance purpose. So, it comes down to a question of esthetic. at 299$ i find it excessive to pay for a cover. The point of the cover is to make a disc affordable.

but wow... it look awesome!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's also about half the weight of any marketed plastic wheel cover I've ever used and it fits better. I've made my own out of styrene for a whole lot less than $80, and they a) weigh about the same as the Catalyst, b) look like crap [but that's just because of my own laziness, probably] and c) don't hold up well and tear easily unless you go with thicker material at which point, the weight becomes an issue. These seem like they'll be far more durable.

For me, spending $300 for such an excellent solution that checks so many desirable boxes is not that big a deal when the result compares so favorably to wheels costing from $1,500 to over $2,000.

FWIW:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
look awesome!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting wheel cover! I'm curious what it's made from?

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustinC wrote:
Interesting wheel cover! I'm curious what it's made from?

http://www.hangar-9.com/....aspx?ProdID=HANU930

"Light weight at .30 oz/sq. ft.", so something like 1oz per side (I was wrong).

Home-made J-Disk.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [Nulli_Secundus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nulli_Secundus wrote:
Where are you sourcing the CF from?
We have a supplier out west (in the US). All of our prepreg fabric comes from them.

I don't know where they get their raw materials, though.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
For me, spending $300 for such an excellent solution that checks so many desirable boxes is not that big a deal when the result compares so favorably to wheels costing from $1,500 to over $2,000.

Sure, if you compare it to a $2000 disc. But not so much if you compare it plus the cost of a rear wheel to a $600 Flo disc or an $800 Renn.
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there's also significant weight savings. To wit, a flo 60 is 1250 g. My 303 rear is abut 650g. Add another 200 g, and there's a pound worth of difference. Not insignificant given some of the rolling courses around where i live
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
there's also significant weight savings. To wit, a flo 60 is 1250 g. My 303 rear is abut 650g. Add another 200 g, and there's a pound worth of difference. Not insignificant given some of the rolling courses around where i live

A pound of weight on a rolling course isn't such a big deal -- gravity taketh on the way up, but giveth back on the way down. And in absolute terms, a pound of weight is pretty much nothing compared to the weight of the whole bike+rider system.

And anyway, total cost for a 303 rear + Catalyst cover would be, what, $1400-$1500? OP's Aeolus D3 7 clincher + the cover is $1700.

There's something to be said for having the versatility of cover for a deep wheel (can run a deep rear if/when discs aren't allowed), but weight is a red herring and the cost saving isn't nearly as dramatic as stated earlier given that you have to add in the cost of the rear wheel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
asad137 wrote:
echappist wrote:

A pound of weight on a rolling course isn't such a big deal -- gravity taketh on the way up, but giveth back on the way down. And in absolute terms, a pound of weight is pretty much nothing compared to the weight of the whole bike+rider system.

And anyway, total cost for a 303 rear + Catalyst cover would be, what, $1400-$1500? OP's Aeolus D3 7 clincher + the cover is $1700.

There's something to be said for having the versatility of cover for a deep wheel (can run a deep rear if/when discs aren't allowed), but weight is a red herring and the cost saving isn't nearly as dramatic as stated earlier given that you have to add in the cost of the rear wheel

The decision point is a wheel cover vs a new disc with the assumption you already have a rear wheel else what do you plan to put the cover on? Thus the cost savings are real as you'd be paying almost 50% less than an entry level disc and 85% of the upper end. Time savings are probably unknown at this point for paying more. The resale value of a disc may hold better as the cover currently doesn't have a used market from which to gage. If I sold my 404 rear, would I get more with or without the cover? Guessing slightly more, but don't know how much more. I'm enjoying the cover and not ready to test that market.
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [tdhtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tdhtri wrote:
The decision point is a wheel cover vs a new disc with the assumption you already have a rear wheel else what do you plan to put the cover on?

Well, not really because presumably the cost of the rear wheel has to be included somewhere in the total cost of the bike + wheel system. I mean, you still have to pay for a rear wheel whether or not you buy it as part of a bike or buy it separately. There is probably a savings, but it's not as simple as "you already have a rear wheel".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing by itself is a big deal. We are talking about real marginal gains here after position, frame, skinsuit, and helmet. 1 kg less on a climb will save you 3-4 watts. I don't know if that's significant, but it's on par with the other marginal stuff out there.

Tri-Rig brakes save you 2 watts at 25mph, yet i don't hear people clamoring about it's a waste (full disclosure, i run a tri-rig). The gain is even less when you tape the cables to the frame.

Your cost analysis is the real red herring as the marginal cost is $200, not the thousands that you quoted. People buying this disc cover are people who will be using fancy carbon wheels. And the quote of $1400-$1500 for a 303 rear + carbon cover overlooks the fact that 303 rear + Wheelbuilder cover would be $1200-$1300. Also, fwiw, my entire 303 wheelset (came with barely used tubular tires), was $800 plus change shipped. I basically get a set of 303 for my climbing road races and HC TT and a rear disc for a total of $1100, which usually buys me a front wheel and a disc if i'm lucky.
Last edited by: echappist: Apr 12, 14 6:38
Quote Reply
Re: Catalyst wheel cover [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

Your cost analysis is the real red herring as the marginal cost is $200, not the thousands that you quoted.

It wasn't my cost analysis -- bobby11 was the one comparing a $1500-$2000 full disc to the $300 cover, when the cost of a full disc should really be compared to exactly the numbers you quote -- $1200-$1500 for a covered (say) 303.
Quote Reply

Prev Next