Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Catalina Marathon
Quote | Reply
Anyone else doing it 3/14? Anyone done it with tips to share?

Blew my wad in the first 5 miles of the Eco Marathon last November, hoping to avoid that train wreck again (and ran a LOT more hills this time)
Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 6, 15 15:58
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina Marathon [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done it 5 times but it's been a while. Course looks pretty much the same though.

A few things to think about:

Take it easy on that first climb - go steady, but easy. A fair number of people will walk it ultra-style, others won't but should. If you're in good shape, jog it easily. You're not going to win the race there, but you can waste a lot of energy. If you handle that well and are fit and your quads can take it, you can really open it up going down into Little Harbor and make some time, as it's a pretty reasonable grade. Middle Ranch is a tough test, if you blow yourself up before that long 6 mile uptick starts after halfway that's a long way to be shuffling, you really want to be able to run comfortably there. Pumphouse hill is nasty but not that long, be patient. I'm pretty sure I did a little hiking there, to no detriment, even on my best finishes. The last descent into town is punishing (must be something similar in the eco version?) - very steep, if your quads are shot you are going to be hating, so try to save something. Once through the finish line, might as well just continue on into the harbor to cool your legs down if they are hurting, which they almost surely will be.

If I recall there's a bar less than a mile from the finish - if you're not under any particular competitive pressure, it can be amusing (to you and the patrons) to stop there for a beverage of some kind, but frankly you may just want to get it over with. The aid station at the top of Pumphouse was always pretty festive as well.

The point to point course is great fun. The boat ride to the start can be a little sketchy if you're doing that rather than camping at Two Harbors (most people take the boat from Avalon race morning), if it's at all rough you may not feel great getting off the boat, try to get settled and relax. Don't forget to hydrate during the ride. We used to loosen up and get settled after the boat ride by jogging across to the other side of the Isthmus to Cat Harbor and back, there should be time to do that and there was a permanent porta potty over there with no line, probably still there.
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina Marathon [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been awhile for me, but from what i can recall you really need to have your quads left in the last 5 miles. On the 1/2 course one year(same finish) I must have passed 40 guys on that downhill. Without quad strength you cannot let yourself fly with the grade. You have to have the brakes on, and it amounts to a ton of time, and most everyone is in that braking mode. that really is the best advice i can give, so ride your bike in training for the race too, and pace super conservative on the steep uphills.
Quote Reply
Re: Catalina Marathon [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to you and Monty. the eco goes down hermit gulch trail (?) and my quads were destroyed by then. I said to myself "I am glad dinner reservations arent until 6:30.... and started walking) This time plan is to have more planned walk breaks from the beginning so hopefully I can be running later. Been training that way in pv. Of course, both eco and this weekend are going to be the hottest of the fall/spring. Of course!
Quote Reply