Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carrying a spare clincher in IM race?
Quote | Reply
After my recent disaster with tyre bead split from case in race I'm thinking I may carry a tyre next time, Anyone else do this for clinchers?

I knowers extreme but I'd rather my body let me down not equipment! First DNF hurts!
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a spare clincher in IM race? [sra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you would be carrying around a bunch of bulk for a 1 in a million scenario.

More likely issues that you could prepare for are:

1. bring a chain tool and a couple spare links in case of chain snap

2. bring spare cables in case of cable snap

etc etc

sra wrote:
After my recent disaster with tyre bead split from case in race I'm thinking I may carry a tyre next time, Anyone else do this for clinchers?

I knowers extreme but I'd rather my body let me down not equipment! First DNF hurts!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a spare clincher in IM race? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a Park Tool TB-2 emergency tire boot. If that doesn't fix it, probably just one of those days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carry patches. No, not for the inner tube. Carry patches to stick to the inside of a tire if you get a gash or a cut big enough to have inner tube blowout through it. That saved me twice. Don't worry about the tire splintering like it did in your other topic. You are probably never going to see that happen for as long as you ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you didn't smooth the rim edge, sure, carry a spare tire.

If you smoothed out the rim edge, no need.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a spare clincher in IM race? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a Clif Bar wrapper as an emergency tire boot many times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I carried one for my first IM (paranoia), then realized I'd done a zillion long bike rides without a spare clincher and decided to never carry one again. I figure I can take care of blown tubes on the fly, but if a clincher ever goes kaput my day is trashed anyway so I'm going to just wait for the support vehicle to eventually come.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dollar bill = tire boot. bead splitting from tire seems to be a defect that is unfortunate but extremely rare.
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a spare clincher in IM race? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iv checked rim edges they seem smooth ? Iv run finger along inside ? Anyway else of checking ? But all seem ok and it's not as if they are new wheels 5 year old ....

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a spare clincher in IM race? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you do ? I tried during race with a old cloth but not work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not inside, outside. Where the machining ends at the rim OD.

Age or use don't influence the edge, since there's no wear there.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: Carrying a spare clincher in IM race? [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done and all feels smooth :) thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome. ;-) Hope that solves your problem.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did carry one a few times, then if I recall (it's been a while) I probably switched to carrying a boot (real one, made from a chunk of fairly thin but intact tire with bead cut off). Always carried several tubes. Unfortunately for a bad tear such as you describe, boot probably won't help. If race had at least some tech support I'd go without anymore, if you were completely on your own and a DNF would really bum you out (e.g. first IM, or an important event)...then why not - it's not going to slow you down to any extent that matters unless you are at the way pointy end of the race, and even then if you stow it properly you're talking seconds if that over a many hour ride. Think of it this way - anyone who rides tubulars has to carry one (probably 2) of those, which are just as bulky as a nicely worn folding clincher and a light tube. There's a benefit in reduced stress knowing you are prepared. On the other hand I have never carried one for a half IM. If your tires are new (tested/broken in, but not damaged and not badly worn), and you don't hit anything, then like others have said, odds are low of a problem. Saying don't hit anything and actually not hitting anything depend a bit on your skills, the course, your fatigue etc. It's subjective. If it makes you feel better, it's not extreme.
Quote Reply